Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-20 9:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Impulse buying
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 9:26 am 

I've just flipped a a Foil Bob (MM) and couple of Christmas promos into:

Savannah (Rev. played) & Taiga (Rev. Played) to complete my collection of WB duals.
Erebos, God of the Dead
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Xenagos, the Reveler
Ral Zarek
Gideon, Champion of Justice
Temple of Deceit
Temple of Abandon
FOIL Cabal Coffers
FOIL Yawgmoth's Will
FOIL Sword of War and Peace
FOIL Grave Pact (9th Ed.)

And a few €1 rares:
Guided Passage
Progenitor Mimic
Spelljack
Sphinx Ambassador
Boundless Realms
FOIL Sepulchral Primordial

Just another few foils to find!

Easy!

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 9:58 am 

nice man sounds like a good haul! Do you play bob in EDH just out of interest? Never heard of him being good in it, im glad you bought the new cool artwork version foil too!

I am undecided on whether or not to foil a deck, 1st I have to pick a deck, then I have to face the cost down haha. For now I have all foil commanders and have started bying staples as foils (such as the lands discussed earlier, or wraths etc, i usually enjoy alt art versions too) and getting preorders as foils where I can too as they are actually in stock at that point. Thinking I might foil Uril as it will be cheapest haha, packed with common and uncommon auras and land fetch spells with normal basics not snow covered. BUT my favourite deck is probably my Treva, the renewer life gain EDH deck so I should probs foil that...hmmmm

How did you choose what to foil or not? For now I have been foiling my favourite cards and ones with especially awesome art, and dragons as they are my favourite!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 10:53 am 

maiden77 wrote:
nice man sounds like a good haul! Do you play bob in EDH just out of interest? Never heard of him being good in it, im glad you bought the new cool artwork version foil too!

I actually did a few games with him in my Vish Kal deck. Considering the deck is almost all 7-drops I thought he would crash and burn, but he actually performed really well. As long as you have a way to gain life in a pinch and/or a way to sac him when he gets out of hand, he tends to work out for the better. Also, everyone leaves him alive because they think he's gonna wind up killing you.

I don't think he's "OMG my deck needs this! /drop70bucks!" good, but if you have one lying around, he's definitely worth running.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-06 1:19 am 

maiden77 wrote:

Actually I got rid of the Bob so someone else is enjoying that €150 foil sweetness right now. I do have non-foil version if ever I feel the need to play him but honestly he's just not the type of card I really play.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 1:01 am 

ok so I got a huge bargain on judge foil gaea's cradle last night on Ebay, $170!!! I also got an unlimited savannah and bayou for $180 combined, all near mint / Excellent condition and WAY under their retail value by miles. Pretty damned pleased!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 1:49 am 

Nice. It's one of the judge foils on my list, but I have a regular one. And besides, I'll never spend that much money on a single card (but perhaps I'll trade some duals for it ;) ). Be sure to check those duals for fake!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 3:37 am 

I will! lol, they are UK based and are not mint (as in look brand new) the edge wear looks genuine on the photo (what you would expect to see on a 20 year old card, more than 20 years old?) and they are from a reputable seller. I would think this spate of Chinese fakes all look opened from pack good? As in graded like PSA 10? so probably quite easy to spot, there are a good few cards on Ebay selling as 'proxies' so at least those are up front lol. Plus if they are fake, paypal is a thing thank god! The only reason I picked the cradle is up is that it was an absolute steal, and the only one I currently have is a Gold bordered one. So happy panda! lol that and it was pretty much the only land I don't own (that is legal, GB not being technically legal in tournaments etc) apart from Dual lands, but now I own 3 of 10 lol. Looking into the rest on bay though haha ;-)

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 3:49 am 

maiden77 wrote:
I would think this spate of Chinese fakes all look opened from pack good? As in graded like PSA 10?

I don't know, I'm no expert on the matter. From what I've seen it's easy to spot if you look at the print with a magnifying glass. As for wear and tear: I bet there are people willing to put some cards in a deck without sleeves and shuffle them 100 times. "Oh look, here's a moderately played Underground Sea, I'll gladly pay half the price of a near mint version for your fake card which you bought for $0.02 in China". Especially if you bought them from a reputable source it's worth it to double-check. If there was no way to get your money back, then it's probably better not to know the truth ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-10 3:54 am 

Haha, thats true, ignorance is bliss afterall! lol. I think it would be pretty hard to fake genuine 20+ years of wear but I will definitely be looking closely. It helps they don't sell millions of dual lands every day and they only had like 6 or 7 up for sale. Some unlimited, some revised. It all adds up to seeming genuine and I only bought 2 so the risk isn't quite SO high. There is a guy selling 10 duals (2 tundras though) for under market value, I was thinking of making an offer but this counterfeight thing is putting me off, for the sake of saving $150 I don't know if its worth the risk, should I just buy from SCG if I want to complete my set of 1 of each? hmmmm choices choices

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-12 9:59 pm 

35% off foils at my LGS. I blinged out as much as I could!

"Well, at least all of that arm-waving and arcane babbling you did was impressive." -- Remand

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 8:58 am 

So last night I made a really stupid impulse buying decision. It was Thursday evening, the night before my payday, and most of the time, the night before my paydays I tend to have between $5.00 and $50.00 in my account. If I'm really lucky, I might have $80 or so. But for some strange reason, while I was eating a quick bite of dinner at a Taco Bueno about a block away from one of my LGS's I checked my balance by phone and found I had quite a bit more than usual left over.

(I probably should thank Minecraft for consuming my time and attention so thoroughly that I hvaen't set foot in an LGS or barely spent a dime on Magic in weeks)

Anyway, I figured since I had the rare surplus, I'd splurge a bit. The singles selection was thoroughly disappointing so against my better judgement, I wound up picking up two boxes of BNG. I realy, really had the distinct impression even as I was handing over my debit card that I was essentially pulling my own pants down. I currently have a SGC wishlist worth about $120 at the moment, so I kept telling myself over and over to just scrap this idea, go home and hit "Buy now" on my wishlist and I'd probaly be WAY better off.

But like the stupid "I want it NOW" asshole that I am, I still walked out of the shop with two boxes.

Well, I tend to make STUPID decisions in life and life has a way of reinforcing my stupidity by making those pay off. And hour later I was sitting on 2x Brimax, 2x XenaGod, 2x Mythic Tribute Phoenix 2x Spirit of the Labyrinth, 1x FOIL Spirit of the Labyrinth, 1x FOIL Drown in Sorrow, and a ton of scry duals, including a full set of W/U lands. And some other shit I guess, but whatever.

So it worked out okay I guess. Here's the weird thing, though. Both boxes were damn close to being the same box. Of EVERY Rare/Mythic I opened, there were only TWO that I had an odd number off. Don't remember exactly which two, but I had exactly TWO or FOUR of every single thing I opened, excepting those two cards. The mythics in both boxes were the same: 1 Phoenix, 1 Xenagos, 1 Brimaz. They were even opend in the same order: the pheonix was somewhere within the first 5 or 6 packs, and Brimaz was in the very last pack and second-to-last pack respectively.

The pack that had the Phoenix in both boxes also had the same token, the same basic land, and the same 3 uncommons. The commons had a small overlap but were mostly different, but it was pactically the exact same pack. My foil pulls for rare/uncommon were completely different between the two boxes, but the foil commons were exactly the same in both boxes (and thoroughly shitty).

I've seen this kind of thing before, of course, but I've never had two boxes side-by-side be this friggin close to being identical boxes. It was really weird. Anyway, for wasting my money on two boxes of the worst set since DGM, I couldn't have been happier. Well, I suppose in magical christmansland I could have opened 2x Kiora instead of the stupid Phoenix, and I opened 0x Courser of Kruphix, but at the same time, 0x Chromaticore opens is a solid victory.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 9:18 am 

I got a restock notice from CK for the GP Promo Batterskull. I bought it on pure impulse. Didn't even look at the price...probably should have :oops:

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-21 9:31 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
I got a restock notice from CK for the GP Promo Batterskull. I bought it on pure impulse. Didn't even look at the price...probably should have :oops:

LOL "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" <snobby laugh> :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-05 7:58 pm 

My best impulse buy story actually happened on a camping trip. I was with my gf and some friends in the middle of the woods and, for some reason, I decided to build a casual Puresteel Paladin/Stoneforge Mystic Deck. I then proceeded to use her 4G to place a Starcity Order FROM THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! In hindsight it wasn't a stupid purchase at all: Stoneforges were around 6 bucks (right after standards bans,) and I bought a Batterskull for $15 in that order too. All the same, it was still really impulsive.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-06 10:36 pm 

To finish my cube the other day I bought a judge Wasteland and foil Mana Crypt, that was a huge impulse, but hey, just sold my PSP for the cost of the crypt so there is that, and they are both cool and awesome so meh :wink:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next