Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-21 2:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Impulse buying
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-14 11:25 pm 

I've spent a good fifty bucks over the past month and a half basically building commander decks in MTGO and then buying all the singles from MTGOtraders. I tell myself it's a better investment than blowing it on video games I'll never play (giant library of steam titles and whatnot), but really it's either something I saw once that I liked, or something that occurred to me on a gatherer binge.

A gatherer binge basically being where I look through all the cards in a category or of a specific type or CMC/colour over the course of a day or two, and note all the ones that seem interesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-14 11:31 pm 

Kerrus wrote:
A gatherer binge basically being where I look through all the cards in a category or of a specific type or CMC/colour over the course of a day or two, and note all the ones that seem interesting.

I do the same thing with magiccards.info. I tend to sort by commander colour identity, a snippet or rules text and sort by CMC. I have about 100 tabs bookmarked of cards that have caught my eye.

The other way I've been impulse buying lately is going to an online store, picking a set from before I was into MTG and sorting rares and mythic rares by price and looking at everything 50 cents or under. Fortunately I've managed to avoid actually checking out with a cart full of cards I have no plan for, but that probably won't last. :o

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 3:08 am 

NathanIW wrote:
Kerrus wrote:

I do the same thing with magiccards.info. I tend to sort by commander colour identity, a snippet or rules text and sort by CMC. I have about 100 tabs bookmarked of cards that have caught my eye.

The other way I've been impulse buying lately is going to an online store, picking a set from before I was into MTG and sorting rares and mythic rares by price and looking at everything 50 cents or under. Fortunately I've managed to avoid actually checking out with a cart full of cards I have no plan for, but that probably won't last. :o

I do these things too. I've been better though. I used to do a gatherer search for a deck idea and it all of the cards that would fit only to have to cut a bunch of new cards from the deck before even playing it once. Thankfully I have my decks on deckbox now so I make the changes (or build the deck) first before buying anything.

I also look through old sets for cheaper rares and mythics, especially sets outside of standard.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 3:23 am 

mordwyr wrote:
Time to take stock of all my $10 and above purchases for 2013! Oh my... :facepalm:

Wow. If those were impulse buys then you really have an excessive amount of disposable income :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 5:56 am 

shmebula wrote:
Thankfully I have my decks on deckbox now so I make the changes (or build the deck) first before buying anything.

I also look through old sets for cheaper rares and mythics, especially sets outside of standard.

How is deckbox for organizing decks? I've been using tappedout.net but I'll have to give deckbox a try.

I'm actually finding that I approach MTG a lot more like a living card game than a collectible one. I buy a set of commons and uncommons for each release and then buy bulk rares as needed. I'm thinking of starting to go back set by set and getting all the rares under $.50 and all the mythics under $1.00. The chase rares that are big money in Standard, Modern and Legacy can just effectively not exist for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 6:25 am 

NathanIW wrote:
How is deckbox for organizing decks? I've been using tappedout.net but I'll have to give deckbox a try.

It's been awesome. I was using MTG Studio for a while to track my collection, but I like having online access to my collection and decks. Since I already had my collection databased, it was easy to import it into DB. Then I started loading every deck on DB and keep them updated, so it's super easy for me to find out where my cards are - if they're in my colllection somewhere or in one of my 35 EDH decks or 30 or so 60 card decks. I also started to use it to trade through the mail and it's been amazing. Before I would have just bought the cards I need, but now I have an easy way to trade and save some cash. :)

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 7:55 am 

I signed up and started poking around. I think I like it better than the one I was using. I don't have the amount of decks you do, but I think it'll still be a useful tool for keeping track of things. And the idea of trades reducing impulse buys seems good to me as well. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-15 11:03 am 

OldVig wrote:
Wow. If those were impulse buys then you really have an excessive amount of disposable income :)

My wife has a telecommuting editing gig she does--amidst all her housework and homeschooling--solely for the purpose of buying Magic cards we want. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-31 9:17 pm 

I don't frequently buy cards (I much prefer trading, I mostly buy dragon shields, binders, packs for pack wars, and playmats,) but I bought a Japanese Akroma's Memorial from M13 for $5 on eBay a month or so ago, given that it will rise up in price.

I will probably end up impulse buying a good 10+ shocklands on sunday at LGS. Along with every Hero of Leina Tower they put up for sale.

intreped wrote:
No, it's fine. Just pay 5 mana. Now post the same joke 4 more times.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 4:22 am 

i recently got a new job, self employed design engineering on far more money than a 25 year old should get paid. As a result I bought FTV jace, judge foil Show and tell, genesis, vengevine, lots of other foils like akroma from the DuelDeck, all in the past month, probs spent around $400 i would say, from an English store, SCG and especially Ebay. The last buy that I nearly made on impulse and I am now pondering is the SDCC garruk. I really like him and he will fit in around 4-5 decks of mine. I only want one though haha. But its $150....But I have loved the black on black since it was spoiled. I don't want a set as they are too expensive due to shipping to the UK and I dont have a use for chandra or Ajani, and I haven't got a mono black or a deck with enough swamps to justify the Liliana either tbh so meh, somebody tell me what to do haha, or trade/sell me yours haha!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 6:47 am 

maiden77 wrote:
i recently got a new job, self employed design engineering on far more money than a 25 year old should get paid. As a result I bought FTV jace, judge foil Show and tell, genesis, vengevine, lots of other foils like akroma from the DuelDeck, all in the past month, probs spent around $400 i would say, from an English store, SCG and especially Ebay. The last buy that I nearly made on impulse and I am now pondering is the SDCC garruk. I really like him and he will fit in around 4-5 decks of mine. I only want one though haha. But its $150....But I have loved the black on black since it was spoiled. I don't want a set as they are too expensive due to shipping to the UK and I dont have a use for chandra or Ajani, and I haven't got a mono black or a deck with enough swamps to justify the Liliana either tbh so meh, somebody tell me what to do haha, or trade/sell me yours haha!

Congrats on the new job! Self employment is certainly not easy.

Impulse buy lands instead. Garruk is nice and all, but lands will always be costly--the reason being they can always be used and people will always need them. That is, if you don't already have all the lands you could ever want.

But honestly? Hold off. You could always need the money down the road.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 8:19 am 

Segrus wrote:
maiden77 wrote:

Congrats on the new job! Self employment is certainly not easy.

Impulse buy lands instead. Garruk is nice and all, but lands will always be costly--the reason being they can always be used and people will always need them. That is, if you don't already have all the lands you could ever want.

But honestly? Hold off. You could always need the money down the road.

Thanks for the advice and the gratz! I am earning double my previous wage so I don't mind a small splurge before I have to remember I am an adult haha. The only lands I need are the original duals and to be honest I just don't care about them enough to buy them. I had a plateau and sold it. I have one of every fetch, two of the shocks and have cradle, serra's sanctum etc all the cool lands (barring the silly ones like mishra's workshop) but anything up to $50 or so dollars I own on the land front, built up over the past 10 years for the most part and now updated just recently with Nyx and a those other goodies. I think you may be right on the Garruk front, I don't think i can justify it to myself when i could get a foil cradle for a bit more (the shipping is nuts from the US where I can find Garruk $25+) but if cradle got banned after the purchase I would be pissed haha.

Think I will leave it until it rotates and keep an eye on his price in the mean time! thanks for the advise mate

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 8:29 am 

maiden77 wrote:
Thanks for the advice and the gratz! I am earning double my previous wage so I don't mind a small splurge before I have to remember I am an adult haha. The only lands I need are the original duals and to be honest I just don't care about them enough to buy them. I had a plateau and sold it. I have one of every fetch, two of the shocks and have cradle, serra's sanctum etc all the cool lands (barring the silly ones like mishra's workshop) but anything up to $50 or so dollars I own on the land front, built up over the past 10 years for the most part and now updated just recently with Nyx and a those other goodies. I think you may be right on the Garruk front, I don't think i can justify it to myself when i could get a foil cradle for a bit more (the shipping is nuts from the US where I can find Garruk $25+) but if cradle got banned after the purchase I would be pissed haha.

Think I will leave it until it rotates and keep an eye on his price in the mean time! thanks for the advise mate

Sure thing!

I suppose I wasn't meaning just dual lands (to be honest, I only have one of each, and they are all in my Cube), but the large number of really, really useful land. For example: Academy Ruins, Boseiju, Who Shelters All, Hall of the Bandit Lord, Kor Haven, Mikokoro, Center of the Sea, Miren, the Moaning Well, Phyrexian Tower, Volrath's Stronghold, Yavimaya Hollow, Strip Mine, etc.

There's just a lot of them which I don't end up remembering, but as I said: only if you don't have them already. It sounds like you have a lot already.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 8:59 am 

Segrus wrote:
maiden77 wrote:

Sure thing!

I suppose I wasn't meaning just dual lands (to be honest, I only have one of each, and they are all in my Cube), but the large number of really, really useful land. For example: Academy Ruins, Boseiju, Who Shelters All, Hall of the Bandit Lord, Kor Haven, Mikokoro, Center of the Sea, Miren, the Moaning Well, Phyrexian Tower, Volrath's Stronghold, Yavimaya Hollow, Strip Mine, etc.

There's just a lot of them which I don't end up remembering, but as I said: only if you don't have them already. It sounds like you have a lot already.

I filled my most recent gap by finally remembering i didn't own a Yavimaya Hollow so I bought a foil one as a birthday present to myself for Friday haha 26th is important year...honest haha but yeah, i have all the rest now happily so I don't have to troll the interwebz too hard for bargains lol. Would love the original duals but I don't currently play enough magic to warrant it. When I move in a month and have my 7ft dining table up again and my mates come around weekly I think I might troll ebay for bargains, or just get the ones I need for my two colour decks that there is less high grade fixing for first, maybe get one a month or two to spread the cost out! haha

In other news, what kind of cube you got? I did a simple one with my mate and it was quite good for a first attempt with little research. I may look into an EDH one in the future though, I love the deck building part the most tbh (hence 13 decks, and 3 or 4 i took apart) so what could be better than to do it each week/month!?

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-05 9:12 am 

maiden77 wrote:
In other news, what kind of cube you got? I did a simple one with my mate and it was quite good for a first attempt with little research. I may look into an EDH one in the future though, I love the deck building part the most tbh (hence 13 decks, and 3 or 4 i took apart) so what could be better than to do it each week/month!?

It's a sort of mix of good stuff and hard-core, unpowered. I built it because I had a lot of good singletons while also believing I could get more of a group together than EDH did previously (tried to get EDH going where I used to live, but I believe they stopped showing up finally because I didn't want to play "Who's the biggest jerk in Magic?"). Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem even a little bit. I've really only gotten to play a 'real' draft once with three other players, only to find out two of the players apparently don't understand how to draft at all (both built 60-card decks in four or more colors). Which meant when Recurring Nightmare, Greater Gargadon, Wurmcoil Engine, Living Death, Reanimate, and some of the best Red burn in Magic passed my way, I barely had to try. All the other times have been Winston drafting with a single other player, which are okay in their own way.

Kinda anti-climatic after spending so much time building it, but now that I have it and spent so much time on it I'll never get rid of it. If I thought building an EDH cube would help get me a play group, I'd at least consider it and probably model it after what Tim Proctor has as a starting place.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next