Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-21 9:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Impulse buying
AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 9:53 am 

I'm a sucker when it comes to buying packs of cards...I know full well it's generally better money to just buy singles instead of guessing which pack has the cards you want, but it brings me back to my youth of opening those packs, smelling the freshly opened cards, and learning of what goodies are inside.

I really become a sucker for them when I come into one of the LGS's here and they have a wall of boosters going back as far as Alliances. Today, I noticed they had a box of Modern Masters among some other things...couldn't resist...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 12:13 pm 

Ukkmaster wrote:
I'm a sucker when it comes to buying packs of cards...

I keep swearing I'll stop buying boosters and swearing I'll stop buying cards, but I can't. My LGS FINALLY sold out of MM packs (thank God) that they were selling for $14. I had opened one early on that had a regular Cryptic Command and a foil Cryptic Command, so I've been hooked. Last two had a Doubling Season (went right into Rhys) and that man land (went right into Karn). At least I didn't open a Death Cloud again. :facepalm:

This secret santa Grixis thing is driving me NUTS because I don't want to trade for or buy anything I've said I want in case I get it. It's bad enough that right after I traded for Heliod I opened one up in a Theros pack.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 2:30 pm 

I use to have this problem at a local store. Then they stopped putting prices on the actual cards in the case and you have to ask the clerk. This has saved me a ton of money because I could not resist a good deal even if I didn't have a use for the card at that time. I really should thank them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 2:44 pm 

shmebula wrote:
Death Cloud again. :facepalm:

I'm PMing your Grixismate and letting them know Death Cloud is the new Storm Crow.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 3:10 pm 

I had a big MTG collection, moved it, and thought I was over it. But MTG is an itch I just have to scratch. I've found eBay auctions for 4x maze of ith. Who buys that? As it turns out, me. The price vs retail is just too good to pass up so now I have a lot of maze of iths. I need to build more decks to use up all my mazes. I feel like Micheal Corelone-just when I thought I was out, they pull me right back in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 4:01 pm 

Joz wrote:
Yawgmoth's Will is never a bad financial decision.

Sig'd. That's absolutely perfect, good sir. :lol:

I generally try to jot down what I need before arriving at my LGS, but I inevitably walk out with more than I intended to purchase. Having chase rares/staples flirting with me from the display case is one way to quickly empty my wallet. The staff know me too well!

"Well, at least all of that arm-waving and arcane babbling you did was impressive." -- Remand

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 8:59 pm 

Guilty of the "my website of preference order history is a testament of never-ending bad financial decisions"

If I could catalog the amount of money overall I've spent on packs, singles, boxes and premium products.....boy WotC really knows how grab you by the balls.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-26 9:28 pm 

sniper_ix wrote:
Guilty of the "my website of preference order history is a testament of never-ending bad financial decisions"

If I could catalog the amount of money overall I've spent on packs, singles, boxes and premium products.....boy WotC really knows how grab you by the balls.

That's why the game was known as Magic: the Addiction for most of the 90s (and likely still is, but I haven't heard anyone say that since about 98...)

GrimJack wrote:
I cant help from buying foil upgrades to cards I already have. I am always trolling the foil binder at the LGS for somethingshiny. Although many are only $0.50-2.00, it adds up over time.

I'm the opposite - I'll gladly trade a foil of something for the non-foil version plus a little extra.

My impulses run towards tribes. If I see a tribe that I think I might want to build, I'll just buy any/every creature I can find in tribe and sort out what to use when I build the deck. This can lead to awkward things like grabbing a Fungal Shambler when I was building Ghave Fungus Tribal.....

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 12:08 am 

I have the exact opposite problem. I currently have more Star City Games store credit than any sane person should. Like, "could impulse buy a Legacy deck" amounts.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 12:33 am 
EDH Rules Committee

The only thing that kept me from doing an impulse buy of all the dual lands I need to fill out all my decks was the time it took to figure it out. Once I started looking over deck lists, the impulse passed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 2:42 am 

Oh yeah, I forgot. Two weeks ago I bought a box of Modern Masters just because $220 + free shipping seemed really good. Did not pan out; best pulls were a Cryptic, Sarkhan Vol and foil Kitchen Finks. Other than that, pretty weak box.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 2:51 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot. Two weeks ago I bought a box of Modern Masters just because $220 + free shipping seemed really good. Did not pan out; best pulls were a Cryptic, Sarkhan Vol and foil Kitchen Finks. Other than that, pretty weak box.

I bought two for MSRP when they first came out from the LGS and drafted them both, I think a Bob, foil City of Brass, foil Divinity of Pride were the top pulls after both boxes. It was fun but kinda bleh at the same time, I guess 10 foil goyfs is too much to ask for.

Overall I think that MMA was a fun draft format but the boxes like all other boxes aren't a good investment.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 4:55 am 

Tantarus wrote:
I use to have this problem at a local store. Then they stopped putting prices on the actual cards in the case and you have to ask the clerk. This has saved me a ton of money because I could not resist a good deal even if I didn't have a use for the card at that time. I really should thank them.

I'm still trying to figure out buying singles locally. I have three online sources that I like and so far I've tried out one local store for singles and ended up paying twice what the most expensive of my other options would have been. And if I give the guy the list, he'll come back with a high quote with non-itemized total and cutting non-priority cards is a huge hassle. I'm a "pay where you play" guy and dislike buying packs, so I've been buying sleeves, deckboxes, etc., just because it's easier (and they're useful). A shopping cart on my computer where I just click what I want is just so much easier, so it tends to get far more of my impulse buy money.

Am I being unrealistic in expecting a local place not to charge me three times what a high volume online store does? Is it fair and reasonable for a store to have a $1 minimum on rares (which makes local bulk rare purchases for commander problematic)? I've been playing MTG for a couple years now and I've just been buying a set of commons and uncommons of each release locally and making a silver black block cube out of them and playing with friends. Since I got into Commander, I've been buying singles for the first time and finding it a bit of a strange process, especially given the disparity of prices between local stores and online and my desire to pay where I play.

Anyone have any advice to someone who's completely new to the secondary market?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 5:40 am 

NathanIW wrote:
Am I being unrealistic in expecting a local place not to charge me three times what a high volume online store does?
Don't forget to include shipping on things. Especially at the low end, difference ends up not being quite as big as it looks. If your $3+ cards are costing more by a factor of 3, they probably need to get their pricing in order.

Quote:
Is it fair and reasonable for a store to have a $1 minimum on rares (which makes local bulk rare purchases for commander problematic)?
It is all about how much hassle they want to deal with, most likely. One of the dealers at tournaments here does a bulk box that is 1 for $1, 2 for $1, 3 for $1, 4 for $1.

Quote:

It basically sounds like your lgs is doing a poor job with pricing. You seem to understand that brick & mortar stores have more overhead and offer immediacy, but you can only cut them so much slack. I'm fortunate that my LGS has a dedicated Magic guy who follows prices and keeps things up to date. There is another store around that I typically don't go to (it is a comic book place that happens to have Magic), and I'm pretty sure they do their pricing with a copy of Scrye.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-27 5:51 am 

JJackson wrote:
NathanIW wrote:
Am I being unrealistic in expecting a local place not to charge me three times what a high volume online store does?
Don't forget to include shipping on things. Especially at the low end, difference ends up not being quite as big as it looks. If your $3+ cards are costing more by a factor of 3, they probably need to get their pricing in order.

Quote:
Is it fair and reasonable for a store to have a $1 minimum on rares (which makes local bulk rare purchases for commander problematic)?
It is all about how much hassle they want to deal with, most likely. One of the dealers at tournaments here does a bulk box that is 1 for $1, 2 for $1, 3 for $1, 4 for $1.

Quote:

It basically sounds like your lgs is doing a poor job with pricing. You seem to understand that brick & mortar stores have more overhead and offer immediacy, but you can only cut them so much slack. I'm fortunate that my LGS has a dedicated Magic guy who follows prices and keeps things up to date. There is another store around that I typically don't go to (it is a comic book place that happens to have Magic), and I'm pretty sure they do their pricing with a copy of Scrye.

I think I know the store he is speaking of (a friend of mine has tried dealing with a few in Winnipeg and that sounds familiar).

While most places here go off of SCG pricing, mostly because they are more invested in just getting singles and product off the shelves instead of figuring out what sells and what doesn't. This means that often he has a stock of some very expensive cards that won't move because the price goes off of M/NM but have seen some play. It also means a person can price out what they need before even entering the store, which is handy, so it's kind of a catch-22.

There is a reason, here in Canada, I use facetoface games when buying singles. If it's within Canada, shipping is cheap cheap cheap. Recently got an order of 60+ singles and shipping, with tax, was like $1.27 and here the next week. This also often hinders my impulse control...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next