Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-21 6:21 pm

Post subject: Deck Building Card Categories
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-29 1:39 pm 

Whenever I read a decklist on this site one thing jumps out at me. many people divide their decklist up differently than me. I wonder if this effects how we build our decks.
For example I tend to have categories like
Creature - usually for attacking or utility purpose
Removal Creatures - Creatures that kill such as shriekmaw, Crypt Rats, Duplicant, FTK, something like that.
Card Advantage/Tutor - These will often include things that draw me cards or search for cards, manipulate the library, or even make others discard (-CA to them is like CA to me)
Mana Acc - artifact mana, Garruk often goes in here (because that is what he gets used for most often), wood elves

I have other categories i used based on what the point of the deck is
Azusa, Lost but Seeking - has a land search category
My Come Into Play Reaper King deck has - CITP creatures, and Facilitors

I notice many people have categories like
Creature, Instant, artifact, Planeswalker. I find this decklist hard to comprehend because they haven't broken the cards down, but how they function in the deck.

What is your take on this. What categories do you use when building a deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-29 2:50 pm 

I used to do something like this, but a lot of the time you'll have one card that you use for two things. Man o' War is a creature and removal. Trinket Mage is a creature and a tutor. Tinker is a card advantage, tutor, accelerator, and a win condition. I split mine up as lands, creatures, artifacts, and spells and then sort those by CC so it's easy to see my mana curve and it should be fairly easy to figure out which are there for what reasons.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-29 3:53 pm 

When I write out a decklist, I either go by color or card name for EDH.

When I actually sort the deck out and look at changing cards, I sort by different effects: (Examples are from my Merieke EDH deck)
- Win Conditions (Oona, Phyrexian Processor, Mindslaver)
- Utility (Tutors)
- Mana (Lands, Mana-producing artifacts)
- Card Draw (Stroke of Genius, Mind's Eye)
- Counterspells (Mana Drain, Force of Will)
- Point Effects (Swords to Plowshares, Vindicate, Profane Command)
- Board Effects (Wrath of God, Akroma's Vengeance)
- Other

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-29 10:11 pm 

I find myself painting a deck with a broad "feel"or theme first. I then think about, as a strategy, which zones of play I need to retain mastery of - the stack - the graveyard, the hand, in play, etc.

If I want it to be an attrition deck, I want to outlive and outlast. I want to want to rule the hand, the board and the graveyard, but I am less concerned about the stack. I play mass sacrifice and discard effects, a few board wipers, mana acceleration (mostly lands), lots of graveyard removal and some life gain.
I then identify key cards and colors to my strategy. Squee, Krovikan Horror, Genesis, Life From the Loam, Smokestack, Leyline of the Void, Eternal Witness, Grave Pact, Tormod's Crypt and Polluted Bond, Ward of Bones, Necrogen Mists, Unburden, Noetic Scales and Wildfire are some of my favoriites.

In a deck where I want to feel like a sorcerer on the mountain, I'll load up on counters, Mirarri, Rings of Bogardan, a solid mana base, LOTS of tutors, card draw and artifact acceleration, fliers, wall-like creatures and good defensive enchantments; I include several reset buttons as well.

So for me it is deck type first (and along with it an appropriate general), key cards second, card type, mana base and lastly try to find niche cards to address weaknesses and as many tutors as I can fit into any deck.

I like cute combos; I'll play Treva just so I can Gifts Ungiven for Life From the Loam, Bazaar of Bagdad, Glory and Riftstone Portal - who doesn't want a guaranteed mana fix such that your lands tap for 2 of your 3 colors, you get tons of Glory activations and a good draw engine online?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-30 12:05 pm 

RobPro wrote:
I used to do something like this, but a lot of the time you'll have one card that you use for two things. Man o' War is a creature and removal. Trinket Mage is a creature and a tutor. Tinker is a card advantage, tutor, accelerator, and a win condition. I split mine up as lands, creatures, artifacts, and spells and then sort those by CC so it's easy to see my mana curve and it should be fairly easy to figure out which are there for what reasons.

I do pretty much the same thing for exactly the same reason. The only difference is that I sort out by all permanent types and then put instants and sorceries in the "other" category.

Sometimes I break up the creatures by CC with a space to indicate new CC to give me a better view of my curve at a glance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-30 2:14 pm 

On the sight I list by instant, sorcery, enchantment, etc. But when I'm working with the deck, I sort by converted mana cost, color, and instant speed vs sorcery. This allows me to see what I want to be playing and when, therefore, dictating how much removal, acceleration, tutors, and the like I'll need. It also helps me decide the number of lands, color ratios, and utility lands, I can run.

Offline Profile