Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 4:27 am

Post subject: Cards that are frowned upon
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-05 12:55 pm 

Besides the items on the ban list, I'm wondering what sorts of cards, if any, are on your playgroup's ban list or are frowned upon. If you know why they are frowned upon/banned, please state why as well, but try to keep it short (ie. no essays).

By "frowned upon" I would mean cards that are not banned but would not be expected to see play within that group. An example of cards frowned upon would be Curiosity and Ophidian Eye in a deck with Niv-Mizzet as General.

I'll lead off. One of the playgroups that I EDH with frown upon all mass land-destruction spells, including Sundering Titan, Armageddon, and Decree of Annihilation. They aren't interested in dealing with such effects and in most cases their cards aren't able to recover from such situations. The 'geddon caster will be too far ahead by the time the rest can recover from the land destruction.

Another playgroup I EDH with banned Mindslaver due to its boring-ness.

One more thing: don't start arguments commenting why certain cards shouldn't be on other people's banned/frowned upon lists. I'm only interested in hearing what and why cards are on there, not why they shouldn't be there. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-05 1:03 pm 

Nobody at the store I frequent will play against me because I have Erayo and Arcane Lab in one of my decks, so I would say those two are frowned upon if there's a chance they might get into play together?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-05 1:24 pm 

winter orb, hokori, rising waters. A friend of mine plays all the three in his GAA4, and with a lot of deck manipulation and tutors, it seems that every game these backbreaking spells come into play out from nowhere, despite of all the duress-like i play. I know his deck is build to allow this, to find the right card at the right time, but every time I feel like.... helpless, like there is nothing to do but sigh :(

Ashling, the extinguisher (black suicide)
Teneb, the harvester (55 lands deck)
Mayael the anima (giant XL zoo)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-05 2:07 pm 

Sundering titan has been banned in my playgroup as it altered too much games.

Sygg river cutthroat // Rith the Awakener
Kaerveck the Merciless // Scion of the Ur-Drago
Rafiq of the Many

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-05 4:49 pm 

Nothing yet in our group. We've not had an overabundance of combo in our decks, though.

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-05 5:48 pm 

our store banned erayo as a general for 1v1 as it flipped on turn 2 too reliably.

we frown upon sundering titan because it makes games not fun. same goes for life from the loam. while there is the occaisional person who will use it to recover lands or as a dredge engine with cycling lands but 99% of the time it is uses to recur strip mine and wasteland and recursive ld isnt fun for anyone.

we had considered banning tunnel vision in 1v1 cause you can put a specific card on the bottom too easily. but there are only so many cards that do that and vision is 6 mana.

Generals: Sharuum, Wydwen the Biting Gale, Doran the Siege Tower, Rafiq, Kresh, Vorosh, Teysa, Ramirez DiPietro, Karona

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-05 5:54 pm 

land destruction and counter decks.

playing EDH when all they can say is: I counter is not fun, I refuse to play against that kind of decks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-06 12:53 am 

Cards I perticularly do not like playing against are: Survival of the Fittest, and Capsize. We haven't banned them, but I personally frown upon them strongly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-06 2:13 am 

Pallinchron.

Yeah.

Too many possible infinite mana combos crop up with him. We didn't go so far as to ban him, just told the guy that played him how unclimactic it was for us to have a long, interactive game and it end with him drawing Palinchron and going off one way or another. He slowly stripped out storm cards, then eventualy dropped the Palinchron itself since he still ended up doing stupid things on its back.

Oddly enough we're fine with mass land-d of any shape and flavor.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-06 2:00 pm 

Nothing is really "frowned upon", there are cards that lead to a lot of groaning. One fellow mentioned a Warp World/Eye of the Storm combo which made everybody at the table unhappy. I second Palinchron, infinite combos aren't fun. My group seems to dislike any card that makes things take longer then usual, things as simple as Anvil of Bogardan and the Oaths.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-06 4:15 pm 

My playgroup is against Eye of the Storm.
I personally frown upon Sensei's divining top. Not for power issues, but just because it takes too long to play with.

Generals
Seton, Krosan Protector//Hanna, Ships Navigator//Captain Sisay//Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind//Braids, Conjurer Adept//Ghost Council of Orzhova

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-06 5:30 pm 

Back to Basics, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, because so many people play multicolor generals and lands that make the game fun and interesting.

In another playgroup I've been in, we ditched Mindslaver, especially in heads up games.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-06 9:14 pm 

Sundering Titan
Keldon Firebombers
Obliterate
Rhystic Study
Mind's Eye
Gaddock Teeg (as a general no less)

norbert88

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-08 11:13 am 

norbert88 wrote:
Sundering Titan
Keldon Firebombers
Obliterate
Rhystic Study
Mind's Eye
Gaddock Teeg (as a general no less)

norbert88

I completely agree with Teeg + Obliterate, but Rhystic Study + Mind's Eye? Really? Those are just card drawing effects that are tailored for multiplayer, you just blow them up...how are those frowned upon?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jan-08 4:39 pm 

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Zur yet. Zur is frowned upon but that isn't based on power level. It's because so many people play Zur.

Offline Profile