Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-20 11:23 am

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-08 12:31 pm 

RobPro wrote:
This is how you develop "metagames" and "environments." When someone if playing something "odious," you start packing hate for it. When it is sufficiently hated so that it can no longer be viable, the person will probably stop playing it. You don't ban every card or tell someone they can't run cards that aren't banned, you change your game plan to match your environment. I don't get why that's so hard to understand.

If a particular combo is truly degenerate in its consistency, and happens often enough to win the game that nobody can stop it, it should probably be brought up on these boards for discussion. But that's not the case here.

Ummm, that's what is happening. Players are adjusting their strategies based on what they know the other player is trying to do. If I know you're going to have a good shot at comboing out and winning by turn 7, I have two choices in EDH. I can either try to disrupt your combo with permission or removal, or I can just try to kill you before you reach the point where you can go off.

I don't think these players were banning the cards they didn't like, they're just trying to eliminate the player who is going to use them. I see no problem with this. If that player wants to stop losing by being ganged up on, he can either find a way to take on the entire table and win (not recommended) or drop the "good" cards that are causing him more trouble than they're worth.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-08 3:00 pm 

What you describe should be perfectly acceptable behavior, but I don't think it's all that good to call someone running cards that are hard to deal with "retarded."

I also don't see how autistic children who pee on chess pieces is relevant. I hope I've gotten that across.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-08 3:35 pm 

RobPro wrote:
What you describe should be perfectly acceptable behavior, but I don't think it's all that good to call someone running cards that are hard to deal with "retarded."

I also don't see how autistic children who pee on chess pieces is relevant. I hope I've gotten that across.

Well, that wasn't me that said that. :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-08 7:08 pm 

I think that maybe the point that could be missed, or perhaps looked over at this point is that if, for example you put the Mindslaver/ Academy Ruins lock in every deck you build (colors allowing) and your playgroup starts hating on you, well then maybe you deserve it. That is one example I have been the "receiving end' of. Pee-pee ball or not, people don't find it entertaining or enjoyable when you play cards that annoy them. This is common sence. I am not saying that playing annoying cards or combination's of said cards should be avoided, just noted and respected. Because one plays LFtL/Gifts and tutors up LD EVERY TIME doesn't me the player is retarded. On the contrary he or she is probably a very good player, but that isn't fun for others.

Look at it this way: Do you want to play with the retard strong Chess player because he intellectually can beat you, or because he pee's on the bishop??

Touche!!

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-09 7:11 am 

Rhapsody wrote:
Look at it this way: Do you want to play with the retard strong Chess player because he intellectually can beat you, or because he pee's on the bishop??

Well it's different because chess's handicap system allows a expert level player to simply swipe a piece from the board prior to playing you (the queen, for example, is a decent sized handicap). In cards we'd do the same thing, swipe the gifts and titan, but for some reason us card players have a more difficult time understanding level equalization and teaching games than chess players.

And who the hell pees on the bishop, the rooks have the dish to catch the pee so obviously that should be the pee target.

Philatio wrote:
I know a game you can always win playing: solitaire.

@#$^% Vegas style @#%$@ dealer is @#$%@ cheating. Always win my ass! Now don't get me STARTED on GOLF!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-09 8:46 pm 

The guy I was talking about earlier definitely isn't retarded. But he's certainly the kind of person who falls into the category of "shady" behavior for casual games. There's another thread up right now asking if people think it's unsportsmanlike to concede while a simultaneously helpful and harmful spell (ie: corrupt) is on the stack targetting you. This guy I was talking about has done things like that. In my case, he made me spend all the mana on my Memnarch to take his permanents (since they were the most threatening), and verbally told me that he wasn't conceding until I did. He intentionally stayed at the table longer than he wanted to and then when I finally Memnarched his stuff, he promptly took his cards back and went home. This left me much more vulnerable now to take on the rest of the players. This sort of thing seemed justifiable to everyone else at the table at the time, but to me that sort of play is just spiteful. So yeah, he's that sort of guy.

The problem with this guy is, while he is my friend and the friend of a lot of people at the store, he's very stuborn. He certainly has the cards to build another deck or ten, "why should he have to?" So he goes on playing his Obliterate deck, and people start telling you that cards like Darksteel Ingot and Darksteel Citadel go in every deck no matter what. It mutilates the format. And while I enjoy the challenge of building around Obliterate, a lot of people are just annoyed by it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-11 1:47 pm 

Just refuse to play EDH games w. him then. Just because he's a friend doesn't mean he gets to participate in everything his friends do. If he's not enjoying the format the way you guys are/want to enjoy it, exclude him.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-13 12:21 pm 

RobPro wrote:
Nomad wrote:
This is exactly what ought to happen if he plays those cards, seems he's failing to learn his lesson. Ask him if he was kept back a grade?

So you're saying he's mentally retarded for running good cards?

I'm saying he does X, the other players pick on him because he does X, and he whines about it. That's pretty retarded. Evidently the cards aren't good, because they get him picked on and he loses because of them.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Mar-16 9:44 am 

My friends kindly asked me never to play Zur again. I tried to explain that the Enchanter was really all show and not that powerful, but alas, I ended up dismantling my deck.

Oh, and I got Protean Hulk banned while using it with Sek'Kuar and Victimze nonsense, only to find that people had already gotten the card banned long before me. :oops:

Offline Profile