Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 4:21 am

Post subject: Efficient ways to get rid of (multiple) planeswalkers
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-11 3:21 pm 

Last night I was playing with three players who didn't have any multiplayer deck at all. However, since I have no normal decks, I was bound to play either my EDH deck or my normal MP deck.

As expected, my EDH deck was way to slow and basically sucked :P So I'll skip that game ^^

The second game I played with my normal MP deck, which basically is a 5-color deck with the best cards of each color, almost no red and a little black. Green, white and blue are the main colors of the deck. The manabase here is superb so no problems there. At some point in the game I find myself having 12 cards in hand with a Library of Leng in play + a Rhystic Study and the ability to either play a Moat or a Swords to Plowshares on a Realm Razer. Having misread the Razer I choose to play StP in order to get my lands back untapped an play a Moat afterwards, however them come into play tapped so I could do no more after that, I had exactly 4 mana. The next turn I get killed by a Garruk and Elspeth of one of my opponents.

No the problem here was that I couldn't get rid of those stupid planeswalkers. My deck is pretty "old" fashioned with as few new cards (layout) as possible, I only add cards if I feel that they really contribute to the deck. For example I play 2 planeswalkers myself, Jace and the black dude (forgot the name at this moment) and 3 Ancestral Vision for insane drawing.

In this deck I have creature removal, global removal, artifact and enchantment removal, but no burn because red suuuucks for me :P I you would divide my complete collection it would be 75% GWB, and 25% RU, not counting lands and artifacts. So, I really don't have much red cards.

Anyway, enough bullshit talk, I'm losing my string here (or however you call it, I don't know :P). What is the most effective way to get rid of Planeswalkers? And is there ANY card that can destroy MULTIPLE of them???

Offcourse I can play any burn card, or any card that destroyes a permanent. For example Urza's Rage or Vindicate. But with these I can only destroy one of them. Is there any way to kill multiple at the same time except for a Radiated Vindicate :P

Help me please, because at this moment my deck gets slaughtered I fear, to much planeswalkers here.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-11 3:53 pm 

The best ways to hit multiple planeswalkers that I know of are board sweepers:

Oblivion Stone
Scourglass
Plague Boiler

Also most colors have stuff that hits any nonland or noncreature permanent, which are decent options for EDH use:

Puca's Mischief
Woodfall Primus
Chain of Acid
Oblivion Ring

Ghost Council: Control |  Horde of Notions: 5C control  |  Lady Evangela: Clerics
Multani: Green Fat     |  Maralen: Control/Combo        |  Momir Vig: Toolbox
Jhoira: Big Suspends   |  Sisay: Legends                |  Vendilion Clique: Creatureless
Savra: Sacrifices      |  Uril: Auras!                  |  Child of Alara: "Nuclear Baby"
Reaper King: Big CMC   |  Raksha: Equips!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-11 4:19 pm 

If you're trying to avoid the post-8th Edition layout, there aren't many options. Squallmonger can be pretty effective if you have enough opponents who want to see the PW dead. Other than that, you pretty much have to use new layout cards (mentioned in the above post), or try to token-swarm the PWs.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-11 7:30 pm 

Vindicate
Violent Ultimatum

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-11 7:39 pm 

Earthquake, Hurricane.

My Intet, the Dreamer Decklist

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-11 7:48 pm 

Price of Progress?

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Tiana, Ship's Caretaker (Auras for Days)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-11 8:20 pm 

Lattice + Null rod?

Memnarch?

Painters servant + anarchy

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-12 6:06 am 

DESERT TWISTER

Also, creatures do a good job as well.

Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed; Wort, Boggart Auntie; Jhoira of the Ghitu; Multani, Maro-Sorcerer; Rafiq of the Many; Heartless Hidetsugu; Wort, the Raidmother; Braids, Cabal Minion; Vendillion Clique; Captain Sisay;

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-12 6:21 am 

natron77 wrote:
    The best ways to hit multiple planeswalkers that I know of are board sweepers:

Oblivion Stone
    Scourglass
    Plague Boiler

Also most colors have stuff that hits any nonland or noncreature permanent, which are decent options for EDH use:

Puca's Mischief
    Woodfall Primus
    Chain of Acid
    Oblivion Ring

The first three are good cards, although I don't really like to remove everything, just those damn planeswalkers ^^ I didn't think of Puca's Mischief, might just go and play that. Primus is good and I already though of Chain of Acid, which just seems good and a lot of fun to :)

Rhapsody wrote:
    Vindicate
    Violent Ultimatum

End of Line

Obvious choices, with Vindicate right up there. It's a bit expensive for me but I think I'm going to play 4 of those and perhaps 2 Ultimatums.

cmb_master wrote:
    Earthquake, Hurricane.

Don't work since you only target your opponent once, so even if you blow up everything for 400 damage, you only get to do that to one planeswalker.

latrodectus55 wrote:
    DESERT TWISTER

Also, creatures do a good job as well.

My deck doesn't really have that much creatures ^^

So far thanks for your ideas :) Especially Puca's Mischief seems fun, and even good old Desert Twister might see play. At this moment I'm leaning towards Vindicate + Ultimatum and perhaps 2 Chain of Acid.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-12 1:06 pm 

Poesjuh wrote:
cmb_master wrote:
Earthquake, Hurricane.

Don't work since you only target your opponent once, so even if you blow up everything for 400 damage, you only get to do that to one planeswalker.

If you mean one player controlling multiple planeswalkers, yeah. But if its multiple players each controlling one, you can Earthquake for like 6 and wipe them all out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-23 1:18 am 

Does Jaya Ballard seem fit for the job

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-23 6:01 am 

Cataclysm gets rid of all planeswalkers.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 6:54 am 

avoiding the ultimatesand buying time: capsize

why kill them ? using them against their owners is usually more entertaining since they have to get responses themselves. even if they manage to, it will tax their resources and free their hands of removal that would target your cards anyway.

funny: confiscate, take possession
when they are spread out among players: blatant thievery

doing those when they are hoarding tokens and just want one more turn so it survives using the ultimate is hilarious. if you steal that elspeth at 8 counters, it is removed AND you get to reap the benefits :twisted:

there is also stuff like worldpurge if you want to be annoying.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 8:24 am 

scour glass

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 2:17 pm 

Take Possesion on a Sarkon Vol that was one counter over being ready to pop. I pop him and leave Vol at 1 and still mine... yum yum gimme some.

Offline Profile