Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-22 6:17 am

Post subject: Good red cards...?
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-23 6:03 am 

Yesterday I though: let's put together another EDH deck, and it had to contain the colors blue and red since at this moment I only have Teneb, so I don't play those colors. I looked for possible generals and as you can expect it was either Crosis, Intet or Numot (no 2-color general because I prefer 3-color). Given the fact that Intet and Numot are "enemy" color combinations and Crosis friendly I chose the first one.

I opened my map and just started picking nice cards to play. Now that I'm done I have about 20 places left, but so far I've only got to 8 red cards, and I can't really say them any of them is worth playing red for, except for Wheel of Fortune. Also is was obvious that normally I really don't play blue and red, because I have 1) not that much cards of the colors and 2) no idea whatsoever on what cards to choose ^^

Now my question is the following: is red really worth playing, and if so, for what (or is it which?) cards?

Please enlighten me ^^

Last edited by Poesjuh on 2008-Nov-24 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-23 9:40 am 

So far I haven't built a single deck with red in it, but there are some good reasons to run red. It really depends on your style of play.

Good in any deck with red:
Wild Ricochet
Bogardan Hellkite
Word of Seizing
Molten Disaster
Kiki Jiki
Wheel of Fortune
Shattering Spree
Detritivore

Super good if your deck is designed to abuse them:
Decree of Annihilation
Myojin of Infinite Rage
Boom // Bust
Jokulhaups
Goblin Welder
Price of Progress

Metagame choices:
Vulshok Battlemaster
Pandemonium
Vicious Shadows

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but that's only in mono red. In RW, RU, and RG, there are lost of great options to choose from.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-23 9:52 am 

Insurrection
Viashino Heretic
Flametongue Kavu

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-23 9:52 am 

Burn. Plenty of burn spells come with good side effects. Prophetic Bolt, Magma Jet, and Electrolyze are some examples.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-23 10:58 am 

In the Wild Ricochet category:

Shunt
Reiterate
REVERSAL OF FORTUNE!

That last one owns. I was playing against my own monoblack deck once, and the guy playing it had just reanimated like his entire graveyard (zombie tribal) and he had a full hand. Knowing the deck since it was my own I knew he had to have a boardwipe in it, and I was right :) Especially since he had drawn a crapload of cards a few turns before (I think he might've played Decree of Pain)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-23 11:41 am 

Thx for your input so far. Although I have to say that apart from Detritivore and perhaps 2/3 others I still don't see a reason to play red at all. Most of these cards can be replaced bo possible better cards in other colors. Anyway, as said, thx for your input :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-23 1:33 pm 

Fire imp? Sometimes the 2 damage really helps, but sometimes it is too weak.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-23 3:50 pm 

Don't hate too much on red consider:

Arc-Slogger: very strong in a 99 card deck
Gamble: another cheap tutor
Firestorm: can get you out of situations no other card can

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-24 1:09 am 

Avalanche Riders is the best answer to Maze of Ith there is. Not quite sure who your General is, Crosis I presume but from your post it could be Numot. Numot gives the deck a little more red theme, so would be easier to use more red in, I suppose.

Imperial Recruiter's pretty good.

I get good mileage out of Shatterstorm, Shattering Pulse, Aether Membrane too.

Last edited by Nomad on 2008-Nov-24 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-24 1:10 am 

Red is really really good at blowing stuff up:
Dwarven Blastminer
Dwarven Miner
Gorilla Shaman
Terminate (BR)
Void (also BR)
Blood Moon
Magus of the Moon

Admittedly the Moon effects are awful in all but mono-red. But red has a sizable amount of good answer cards that would be right at home in a controllish 3-color build.

I also feel compelled to mention Godo, Bandit Warlord and Furnace Dragon (although I may be overrating the dragon on account of my having a shiny one).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-24 9:24 pm 

Nobody mentioned one of the single most insane cards, Savage Beating. It has won me so many games, hell I won one game last week with just a Vigor on the table and my opponent at 22. Savage Beating with Entwine, GG? It's amazing, and I would strongly consider it.

In Progress: Dromar, The Banisher, Uril The Miststalker, Xira Arien

Retired (for now): Ghost Council Of Orzhova, Captain Sisay (I build these two way too often!)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-24 10:15 pm 

I second Shattering Pulse as being awesome. Wild Ricochet and Reiterate are both great, and Shunt is worth considering. Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon makes you (or at least it) a big target, but can potentially cripple multiple opponents. They're both obviously no good if you're 3 colours though.

Mass damage like Molten Disaster (already mentioned) is great, the best ones I think are Starstorm and Fault Line because they're instants. Rolling Earthquake is great too if you can get your hands on one (they're kinda pricey though).

Burn spells (by which I mean things like Lightning Bolt) kinda suck in EDH. Although I don't mind playing a couple of the best ones in mono-red, there's not much reason to run bolts when you have access to better removal in other colours.

I like Siege-gang Commander. There's quite a lot of action packed into that card. Heartless Hidetsugu and Jaya Ballard are good fun. Kher Keep is surprisingly good, especially if you have a few pieces of equipment for the Kobolds to carry around.

If you're playing Crosis consider Fulminator Mage. It's great because it's a very effective deterrent - "if you attack me your karoo dies". No-one wants to lose a land early in the game, even if it's just a dual land. And later on it'll take out that all-important Academy Ruins or Maze of Ith.

Kaervek is a pretty good man if you're playing black with your red. There are lots of blue/red cards that have been previously mentioned that are good.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-24 11:19 pm 

I'm a huuuge fan of Titan's Revenge; not the greatest of X spells, but there are times that just one won clash can be backbreaking. Plus, it's amusing clashing with a different player than you attack with it. Pulse of the Forge is good when you're down late game, and can help close the gap exceptionally quickly. Beacon of Destruction is a quality burn spell too, and Incendiary Command isn't totally useless in this format ;). Illuminate is hilarious, and Hostility is great with the aforementioned burn spells.

Depending on your metagame, Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast are extremely saucy, too. Fork is pretty good times, and as said before, Savage Beating is insane; probably my favorite red EDH card. Izzet Chronarch and Nucklavee are great for recurring your Invoke the Firemind and Cruel Ultimatum.

Knollspine Dragon has been doing good things in our playgroup recently; even if you whiff with his 187, he's still a 7/5 flier. And on that note, Akroma, Angel of Fury, Dominus of Fealty, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind,Mindwrack Liege, and Jhoira of the Ghitu are all pretty saucy UR creatures.

As far as enchantments go, Mana Flare is probably the best red enchantment, if only because things get ridiculous with your Mind Spring, Profane Command, and various red X spells. Rage Reflection also deserves mentioning.

Suggestions are bolded, of course :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-25 9:34 pm 

I play Blue/Red Jhoira (not for the general, just the colors) the red cards I play are:

Obliterate (one of the two cards that combo with Jhoira)
Recoup (good with Gifts Ungiven)
Starstorm
Sulfurous Blast
Wild Ricochet
Goblin Welder
Viashino Heretic (BUSTED)
Slice and Dice (Also AMAZING)
Prophetic Bolt
Imperial Recruiter
Izzet Chronarch

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-25 10:47 pm 

Viashino Heretic is probably one of the best EDH artifact removal cards I've ever seen.

Offline Profile