Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 12:08 am

How does your group prefer to play EDH? For blood or for laughs?
We're always out to win, or I am anyways. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
We're totally about having a goodtime, everyone packs their decks with absolute shenanigans. 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
A healthy balence of both. We're competitive, but like to have a few laughs. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: Competitive or Casual?
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-13 6:56 pm 

Post your opinions! Please keep it friendly, because i know people get pretty opinionated about how casual this format should be treated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-13 7:09 pm 

My Portland playgroup is extremely casual. We've been known to play it fast and loose with the rules in order to accomodate some of the player's needs, the "everyone gains up on the combo player" thing almost never happens (This has been the way with every group I've ever been in, actually. Maybe I just have that effect on people.), and we'll generally lay off on the person who is having issues in the early game. Attacks to take people out of the game are always accompanied with either an apology or big laughs all around, substance use is somewhat frequent, and few of our players spend a significant amount of time honing our decks to be competitive. I think that I'm probably one of our more competitive players, and I always get a dirty feeling when I win. We only get to do this once a week on average, so when we do it, we want to have fun, weird, and drawn out games.

This shows up in deck construction, too. Few of us pack any real comboes: That comboes show up are usually very silly, fun, and easy to disrupt, or are not accompanied by a win condition. For instance, one of our players packs a blue deck with Mind Over Matter. He also packs many creatures that tap to draw cards, including his general, Arcanis. However, once he "goes off," it is still somewhat unlikely that he'll win the game. It's possible, but it's far from guaranteed. And the last game I played in ended because of a Celestial Convergence. Ok, the player who won would have won the game that turn anyway, but it's the thought that counts.

The Wrath of Konda
Project Group Hug (Phelddagrif)
Sakashima the Imposter, My Own Worst Enemy
Ixidor's Metamorphosis
Adamaro, First to Desire (Land destruction)
Turbowall (Gwafa Hazid)
Snakes on a Plane (Seshiro the Annointed)
Balthor's Army of Darkness
Heartless Hidetsugu and His Army of Pingers

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-13 7:28 pm 

My playgroup plays for fun, but that doesn't mean that we aren't packing heat. Sure we have some shenanigans, but have you ever been hit by a conspired Stunted Growth? Brutal!

And everyones decks havre stuff like that. Infinite turn combos? Check. Locks? Check.

Check it out sometime.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-13 7:38 pm 

Im with Scout. I got into the format for the laughs and crazy multiplayer madness, but I still hate losing, and Im not bashful when it comes to attacking. I think my group is competitive enough, but not so much that it isnt fun.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-13 7:52 pm 

My playgroup is a mix of the last two posts, haha
Some people are shy about attacking, not me XD
I have creatures dammit, and I'm gonna use them!

Of course, no matter how casual the deck, nobody is caught without a Mindslaver. :twisted:
We get competitive, but nowhere near the point of "no-fun"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-13 8:33 pm 

Our group is pretty causal-to-middle-of-the-road.

It's always the huge plays that are remembered, not the victors in our group.

"Remember when you Spinal Embraced my Serra Avatar? Or Agonizing Demised my Ajani Goldmane Avatar Token?"

"Remember when Sean's Heartbeat of Spring and Rights of Flourishing and Awakening let me play Oona and deck Chris in one go-around?"

"Remember the storm count of 10 for a Sprouting Vines?"

Offline Profile