Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-21 12:47 am

Post subject: What components need to be in a edh deck
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-03 8:19 pm 

so i'm still pretty new to this format and i was wondering what are all the components to an edh deck. Like what do u absolutely totally have to have in a edh deck?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-03 8:24 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

- spells
- lands
- sol ring

Edit: There's no such thing as a card that you 'need' for your deck in EDH, unlike 5Color. For a list of generally good stuff, click here.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-03 8:27 pm 

i know about lands and spells but i mean components such as mana accel, big creaturess, little creatures stuff like that because regular magic and edh are 2 very different things.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-03 8:37 pm 

Well, just like in regular magic, the distribution of cards that do certain things varies wildly between decks and strategies. For instance, my 3 decks range in land counts from 38 (Merieke Ri Berit) to 59 (Lin Sivvi).

What you really want in an EDH deck is consistency. You're restricted to one-ofs, and the format itself pushes decks to usually be decks with ability in relation to their general. So, having a consistent deck is about the only major point. The link Ban Ki-moon gave is a good resource for the core components of whatever colors you want to work with, but beyond that, the general will easily have the greatest influence on the other 40ish cards. (beyond lands and color staples, assuming you're using them)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-03 9:16 pm 

This remains one of the best posts that I have ever read on EDH deckbuilding fundamentals:

http://edh.truespace.ca/EDH_Forum/viewt ... highlight=

The Wrath of Konda
Project Group Hug (Phelddagrif)
Sakashima the Imposter, My Own Worst Enemy
Ixidor's Metamorphosis
Adamaro, First to Desire (Land destruction)
Turbowall (Gwafa Hazid)
Snakes on a Plane (Seshiro the Annointed)
Balthor's Army of Darkness
Heartless Hidetsugu and His Army of Pingers

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-03 11:03 pm 

As long as we're linking to amazingly useful threads on EDH deckbuilding in general . . .

http://edh.truespace.ca/EDH_Forum/viewtopic.php?t=337

This one is particularly relevant because disruption is a key component of every "good" EDH deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-05 6:45 pm 

those are great threads, everyone should read them both.

but here's a quick rule of thumb (just as i see it, and this only applies to non-"build around me" generals, which have more specific requirements) and "about" roughly means + or - 5

exactly 1 general
about 40 lands (38 is kinda the minimum, unless you've got a really weird deck going on)
about 5-10 mana fixers/mana ramp
about 10 really giant threats
about 20 strong utility cards or more giant threats
about 10 removal spells
about 5-15 tutoring and card draw spells (way fewer if you're not in both blue and black)
and fill whatever space you have left with goofy spells which you like, and are only good in this format because they cost so much or only work in multiplayer or long games (Time Stretch and other shenanigans)

i know it doesn't add to 100, but that's because it's all really approximate. but you really have to have at least 5 cards in each category or else you'll have serious issues sooner or later. if you fill all of those basic requirements your deck wont be completely awful. But again, it's never that cut and dry, but that list should get you on your way (but you really ought to read those other threads if you have not already)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-05 6:59 pm 

I still have yet to read the link intreped provided but the other link helped a ton. thanks yodafan, and thank you Zur for that breakdown that kinda hoped the most because i really don't have some of that in my edh deck and it's just plain and simple, but thanks for all the help. it really helped a lot.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Dec-23 1:49 am 

planar portal and pocket full of dreams

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-02 6:08 am 

My personal rule is: just make anything that works, and most importantly you will enjoy playing.

I follow a simple deck building scheme. First i think of a theme and/or general to build around and i start gathering relevant cards till i have a stack of about 100-200 cards. Then i narrow it down to the edh decksize but keep the leftovers. Playtest it a few real games and have a sitdown with my deck: cards that never were usefull, sucked in my meta, stayed in my hand too much, were too off-strategy or cluncky get the axe. Swap some in from the candidate stack and repeat.

I had a 5color sliver EDH that fit that bill perfectly. After a month of playtesting it only ran 4 non-sliver cards (door of destinies, patriarchs bidding, spinning top and spitting image). It had very good consistency, a lovely themed feel, more hidden tech trough interaction then the first impression would suggest. It was way too vulnerable to mass destruction (despite frenetic sliver and bidding) so playing it relied on luck, timing and politics. It seldom won, but i had it take out 3 players in a 4 or 5 man table more often then you think. And it was a blast to play. I always roleplayed the hivemind theme by referring to me and my sliver tribe deck as "we" for instance.

Also consider this: even the most tuned deck is worth nothing if you give it to somebody that only knows half the cards in it (let alone combos and interactions). Even if you play "sub-par" cards, knowing your deck and handling it accordingly makes up 50% of the game. Blindly copying combos, decks or cards from the internet will usually leave you dissapointed. Allthough some links to lists like in the above posts will help you certainly help you, always use your own scrutony. People can be caught with their pants down a lot by using obscure/unknown cards instead of the known powerhouses/synergies.

Check your meta. Pay attention to what others play, their strategies, cards, combos. Never be afraid to ask for advice, card suggestions or tips about improving your decks or playstyle. Most players will gladly share this with you, some might even give or lend you cards!

Offline Profile