Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-22 7:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dominaria leak, now offical
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-10 1:02 pm 

Viperion wrote:
Bad enough that you can play it, do the "I" and then find some way to destroy it

So cast 'Geddon for 6 and other setup?

No, I think he's right. I'm just all butt-hurt over prophet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-10 1:24 pm 

If you have it in your deck you're probably leaning on artifact or creature mana to go with it. This in a G/W ramp deck would be pretty gross. You could set yourself up to recover so much faster than everyone else

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-12 7:35 am 

The Sagas have an alternate layout; I quite like it.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-13 12:12 am 

I dunno, the text box looks like someone slapped a sticker on a full art card.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-13 1:24 am 

scatteredsun wrote:

That's is basically how I felt too, but I think I have been pretty negative lately (I hate the Unstable lands, not a fan of Iconic or Masters 25), so I figured either it is me or WotC is failing a lot. Probably just me.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-13 1:55 am 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:

That's is basically how I felt too, but I think I have been pretty negative lately (I hate the Unstable lands, not a fan of Iconic or Masters 25), so I figured either it is me or WotC is failing a lot. Probably just me.

No, it's hideous.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-13 2:20 am 

I enjoy the Sagas myself, they're fine.

My notable highlights from the DOM release notes:

• Helm of the Hosts -- Equipment, {4}
    At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a token that’s a copy of equipped creature, except the token isn’t legendary if equipped creature is legendary. That token gains haste.
    Equip {5}
So... My Commander Tribal. :D That's if your commander's worth spending 4 & 5 mana to start replicating in the fashion of Progenitor Mimic, and some of them might well be: Vial Smasher the Fierce and Atraxa, Praetor's Voice come to mind. They're powerful and/or have a powerful compounding effect you'll be happy seeing repeated 3-4 times. The fact this cues off extra combat turns means both Blue decks and Red decks can draw more out of this ("take an extra turn" and "additional combat phase" respectively). The copies won't deal Commander Damage of course.

• Blackblade Reforged -- Equipment, {2}
    Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each land you control.
    Equip legendary creature {3}
    Equip {7}
Giving your Voltron commander something like a +5/+5 that's going to keep increasing from here is pretty good. When you're seriously hitting your stride this will be a +7/+7, meaning it'll be delivering a third of the commander damage doomsday clock.
(Also, that "equip (quality)" ability formula is new! Neat.)

• Deep Freeze -- Enchantment Aura, {2}{U}
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has base power and toughness 0/4, has defender, loses all other abilities, and is a blue Wall in addition to its other colors and types.
New blue removal in the style of Darksteel Mutation or Imprisoned in the Moon! :)

• Evra, Halcyon Witness -- Legendary Creature - Avatar, {4}{W}{W}
    Lifelink
    {4}: Exchange your life total with Evra, Halcyon Witness’s power.
    4/4
A Tree of Redemption-style effect on a beater, and with Lifelink built in. Activate that ability after blockers get declared and you get a 30- or 40-something beater and a full refund on your life. When this thing attacks something is going to die. (Possibly Evra's controller after they dip down to 4 life, or 4 + whatever buffs Evra had.) I can't wait to see what people do with this thing, especially in Boros decks where they can give it double-strike, make it deal damage via Fall of the Hammer, generate extra combat rounds and more. This plus Chandra's Ignition may win you a game.

• Precognition Field -- Enchantment, {3}{U}
    You may look at the top card of your library. (You may do this at any time.)
    You may cast the top card of your library if it’s an instant or sorcery card.
    {3}: Exile the top card of your library.
Vizier of the Menagerie for spellslinging decks plus filtering.

• Garna, the Bloodflame -- Legendary Creature — Human Warrior, {3}{B}{R}
    Flash
    When Garna, the Bloodflame enters the battlefield, return to your hand all creature cards in your graveyard that were put there from anywhere this turn.
    Other creatures you control have haste.
  • Primevals' Glorious Rebirth -- Legendary Sorcery, {5}{W}{B}
    (You may cast a legendary sorcery only if you control a legendary creature or planeswalker.)
    Return all legendary permanent cards from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Two different kinds of "you get all your stuff back" effects, which are always nice if you can build within that theme. Garna can be flashed in while Underworld Cerberus's third ability is on the stack, and will resolve and give you it back before it hits exile. (All the cards that hit your graveyard this turn go to your hand including Cerberus, all the cards from previous turns return to the battlefield.)

Plus, as far as new commander candidates go...

The set has a soft Legendary Tribal subtheme, meaning lots of new legends to use as our commanders just from the ones that showed up in the release notes. It looks like we may get a cycle of wedge commanders, though the Jeskai one is actually a WUBRG commander: they're Fist of Suns on a stick. Most of the 2-color commanders look pretty compelling for either a Commander or a card in the 99. Firesong & Sunspeaker, Grand Warlord Radha, and Slimefoot catch my eye in particular (Slimefoot for the 99 in a Saproling deck, the others as commanders). Tiana would also be pretty interesting in the right sort of Commander Cube or the right meta, because you can bargain with your fellow players: "I'll give you your thing back, and you do this for me next turn.")

I'm not worried about Mox Amber because it probably won't be doing anything until after you can actually summon your commander. It costs 0 but it's not a turn 1 ramp. It's often not even a turn 4 ramp. The exception is if you're playing Legendary Tribal, in which case go for it, you built around that mechanic and cards like this functioning for you is your reward.

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2018-Mar-13 3:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-13 2:53 am 

Blackblade Reforged is super awesome. I pulled 3 Dakkon's back in the day and I've always had a soft spot for him.

Clone Helm looks like fun. I'll definitely pick one up.

I'll have to put my Saskia "League of Legends" deck back together after this set.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-13 4:27 am 

Layout aside, the art of the black Saga is great. A nice callback to the Urza's Saga Dark Ritual, and the etchings in the art is possibly the flavour text on the Dark Ritual, in the made up phyrexian language you see on the judge promo Elesh Norn.
Image Image

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-13 9:56 pm 

Is no one else concerned about the 11 mana 1 card infinite combo? Lets you put all equipment from your deck into play, infinite haste tokens and infinite attack steps for ten colorless and one red mana.

Godo, and clone helm

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)
Karona the False God (Lets Play a Quick Game)
Jenara, Asura of War (Lands Matter)
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-14 1:15 am 

Bruticus wrote:
Is no one else concerned about the 11 mana 1 card infinite combo? Lets you put all equipment from your deck into play, infinite haste tokens and infinite attack steps for ten colorless and one red mana.

Nope, not at all.

It's more than 1 card (you're missing at least Godo or the new equipment - I hate the term "1 card combo"). Plus, you either need yet another card to give Godo Haste, or you have to wait a turn after putting this combo out on the board for everyone to see what you're about to do.

My group is mature enough that someone will do it once, and we'll go "oh cool" and "oh my" and we'll either be on guard more for it, or the person will realize how boring it is and take that combo out.

It's no worse than other two card infinite combos that Red has (and I've seen played at our table.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-14 1:16 am 

Bruticus wrote:

Godo, and clone helm

That's actually pretty funny. You need a Haste source to go infinite though, and unless you have 11 mana in the one turn it'll have to be spread out over two turns, where the first turn is just setup. (If you do have 11 mana, we're almost certainly at the stage in the game where I don't mind someone winning.)

Here's how I'd play it out to break it.

Godo as the commander. Deck is mountains, all the haste sources we can get (i count at least these), ~5-10 equipment (to be described later), some mana rocks, and Desperate Ritual and Pyretic Ritual.
Mulligan until I have no equipment in my hand and at least one haste source. Any mana rocks & rituals are a bonus.
Turns 1-5: play my haste sources. Maybe I got a mana rock down, let's assume I didn't.
Turn 6: Summon Godo. Fetch out the Helm. Play a mountain. Do nothing else. Pass the turn.
Turn 7: Attach the helm to Godo. Now we'll go infinite:
Combat 1. Attack with Godo Commander. Godo Copy 1 is created. Fetch out Hammer of Nazahn. Equip it immediately to Godo Commander for free. He's now indestructible in his first combat phase. All Godos are untapped and we get a new combat phase.
Combat 2. Attack with Godo Commander and Godo Copy 1 (why not). Godo Copy 2 is created. Fetch out Augentum Armor to start destroying the Ghostly Prison effects one of the players has. All Godos are untapped and we get a new combat phase.
Combat 3 onwards. Attack with Godo Commander and all the copies every combat. Each combat, fetch out and instant-equip a new equipment to Godo Commander, and destroy a new Ghostly Prison equivalent (if necessary). Your first equipment after the above two will be a Prowler's Helm (can't use Whispersilk Cloak because Shroud obstructs Hammer of Nazahn from working). At this point you're going to win via infinite unblockable commander damage and infinite combat steps, against everything except a Wall Tribal deck. (You'll break over those walls later with a Neurok Hoversail.) Show your opponents what's going on and show that next you'll fetch out Quietus Spike, Loxodon Warhammer, Blackblade Reforged, and others for good measure. Ask your opponents if they can stop you or if you've won.

I'm actually not worried about this though. It's transparent and samey. It's one of those totally uninteractive decks that doesn't do anything significant until in midgame the player says "OK, I think I can go infinite and win now," and this one is probably boring for everyone including its player.

We can also see it coming a mile away when they sit down at the table with that commander. When they do, I'll ask them if they're playing this infinite combo. Then one of these things happens...
1. They aren't playing this combo and don't have that equipment in their deck. Ok, cool, let's play.
2. They are playing it. I'll ask them to play something else, because this combo is samey.
3. They do have Godo and the necessary cards, but don't know what the combo is. I grin and explain it to them and let them try it out on us for funsies because it'll be really fun watching their face light up as they absolutely destroy us.

Last edited by spacemonaut on 2018-Mar-14 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-14 1:42 am 

It's not a 1-card combo but it does actually go infinite with Aurelia.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-14 2:50 am 

Helm of the Hosts -- Equipment, {4}
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a token that’s a copy of equipped creature, except the token isn’t legendary if equipped creature is legendary. That token gains haste.
Equip {5}

Step 1 play 1 card: Godo,
Step 2 search for helm
Step 3 equip helm
Step 4 go to combat
Step 5 hasty token created
Step 6 search for hammer of nazahn
Step 7 attach hammer to hasty token
Step 8 attack with hasty token
Step 9 triggers another combat which triggers helm rinse repeat.

You may need other equipment in the deck, but you only need 1 card to start it.

Tajic (Indestructible)
Retired:
Animar (Morph)
Karona the False God (Lets Play a Quick Game)
Jenara, Asura of War (Lands Matter)
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-14 3:07 am 

Bruticus wrote:
Helm of the Hosts -- Equipment, {4}
Equip {5}

Step 1 play 1 card: Godo,
Step 2 search for helm
Step 3 equip helm
Step 4 go to combat
Step 5 hasty token created
Step 6 search for hammer of nazahn
Step 7 attach hammer to hasty token
Step 8 attack with hasty token
Step 9 triggers another combat which triggers helm rinse repeat.

You may need other equipment in the deck, but you only need 1 card to start it.

Oh shoot! I missed that last sentence in Helm of the Host. You're right, no haste sources needed. :O

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next