Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Oct-21 12:46 pm

Post subject: Re: Random Chatter about Books (and stuff)
AgePosted: 2017-Oct-10 11:57 am 

I'll have to check out Wool.

I may even give Stephenson another shot. Maybe it was bad timing or whatnot, but I tried reading Cryptonomicon a few years back and never made it past page 50 or so. I sounded so good and had a few recommends from friends, but the first couple chapters just never grabbed me.

Since the last update, I've re-read a few previous entries and also enjoyed:

Monster Hunter International - Larry Correia (Book 6 just released)
- Book 1 - Monster Hunter International: Monsters have federally funded bounties, and the titular company is the best in the business. Humorous, irreverent and fun with a decent storyline and solid characters. Great light reading.

Dire Earth - Jason Hough
- Book 1 - The Darwin Elevator: Part post-apocalypse, part sci-fi, part fantasy. An alien object appeared above earth, a few years later it dropped a "cord" that impacted in Darwin and allowed an Elevator into orbit (so of course humans made elevator cars to do so, and built orbital stations attached to the cord ) Then, five years later, a plague hits and humans everywhere either die immediately or revert to animalistic states (with one primary emotion dominating, though usually only the violent ones survive). Only an area a few miles around the "elevator cord" is spared, so the remnants of humanity flocked to Darwin, the last habitable place on earth. The story Follows Skylar and his team of "immunes" who do scavenge work going "outside" to bring back supplies or specific "requests." Ending of book three is a little out there, but I just found there are 2 more books that are now on my queue.

Ready Player One - Earnest Cline
Possibly one of the best debut novels in a long time (along with previously mentioned The Martian). Also, a wonderful storehouse of 80s references. It's 2044 and everything is crap (post-apocalypse due to multi-decade energy crisis - though that isn't the focus of the story) when the world richest man, James Halliday (this story's Bill Gates), who created the Oasis - A full VR universe housing everything from VR school (there are no more physical schools) to entire gaming planets - dies. In his will, he announces a contest. Whoever can find and solve his Easter Egg puzzles will inherit his entire fortune and full control of Oasis. The protagonist, Wade, has been on the hunt since Halliday's death and has spent the last five years studying "Everything 80s" in the hopes of finding and solving the three puzzles. Nobody has even found the first.

Continuing the earlier "don't let the movie ruin the book" theme, I re-read (and still love)
Jumper Series - Steven Gould
- Book 1 - Jumper: Davy is in a bad home life. Mom left, and dad is an abusive drunk. One day, when the belt and buckle are about to "teach him" again (he hadn't mowed the lawn yet), he suddenly finds himself in his favorite section of the library. Davy can teleport. First he has to learn control, then - who knows, it's a big world. But what happens when the government finds out?
The story is great, if a bit "dated" (takes place in the early 80s), Second book, Reflex, is possibly even better. Skip the horrible "Griffin's Story" crap he was contractually obligated to write to "tie" the movie to the books. Then comes back strong with Impulse and Exo.

His stand-alone novel, Wildside, is also a good read.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-11 12:14 am 

Oh MHI. Larry pisses me off. He's bad at liking guns and writing about them. He also needs to learn how to write real characters instead of relying on stereotypes.

I call books like Monster Hunter International "Fast Food Reads." They're cheap, quick, and easy to read. You know deep down that they're made of garbage and have no real nutritional value but, dammit, you just need a quick snack and boy does that burger sound good and sure, I'll up-size it and add an apple pie too!

You have a great time gorging yourself on the food but 10 minute after you feel bloated and a little nauseous. You get that feeling of "why did I do that to myself" and you promise you'll get a salad next time (yeah right).

I finished Nemesis not too long ago. Waiting for the next one :lol:

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Oct-11 12:19 am 

Oooh another good read

The Terror - Dan Simmons (of Hyperion fame)
Tells the tale of John Franklin's 1848 Arctic journey to find the Northwest Passage. He takes two ships, the HMS Terror and HMS Erebus. There's cold, cannibalism, and a monster! Fantastic read from a great author. AMC made a mini-series that's due out soon.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile