Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-09 6:04 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cool Plays Thread
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-06 12:16 am 

This reminds me of the time I cast a Bribery to great effect in my Riku. For the uninitiated, Riku can copy both Bribery itself AND the creature it puts into play. I "only" had nine mana open, but that was anough for forking Bribery, searching the Zirilan of the Claw's library for Bogardan Hellkite and Kiki-Jiki plus copying the Hellkite. As with the above story, two turns without sweepers meant short end for that game :twisted:

Another one: in the first and so far the only game I played with my newborn Ghoulcaller Gisa deck, I stood up against Ezuri 2.0. In the late game, he just kept casting small dudes that got 20/20 in his attack phase, but he didn't have any evasion, so my Zombies were holding out well, Blood Artist slowly killing him and Grave Pact reducing his army of tokens. Then I drew into Sidisi, Tutor Zombie. I sift through my deck slowly, since I'm not yet familiar with what the hell I put in there and find... Spike Cannibal. The look on his face was priceless and he even forgot for a few moments he had a counterspell in hand. I actually managed to win anyway via the Blood Artist couple turns later, but the army of over 100 zombies I would turn that Spike into still gets me chuckling. Watch your step, Ezuri. I'm coming for you... :twisted:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-06 8:21 am 

Playing my Selvala deck against a RG Wort, BW Daxos and PW Ob nix.

I have a Killer Bees with 5 counters on it from Increasing Vengeance and a few other less relevant creatures. Daxos had just attacked me for a ton in the air so I decided to return the favor. I flash back the increasing vengeance making it a 15/16 and swing at him. After he declares no blockers, I pump one of my remaining two mana into him then tap Selvala for 16. Use six of it to flash in Great Oak Guardian, pump him another 9 to 27 and then tap Selvala for 27 to pump him to super dead. Pass the turn with a bunch of untapped blockers.

Wort plays Collective Voyage which ended up searching out 11 basics for everyone hoping he'd get another turn to just fireball everyone out. He passes to Ob Nix who promptly taps out to Black Sun's Zenith for enough to kill my board in the event that I had any tricks.

I untap for the turn, cast a swiftfoot boots, recast my general, cast a Chameleon Colossus, double his power, tap Selvala to double him a few more times swap the boots back and swing at Wort for lethal. Ob nix couldn't deal with the pro black and was dead next turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-06 8:46 am 

Playing Selvala vs three decks + Nekusar ...

I start the game with a gemstone caverns exiling a forest. Play a land and a turn 1 Gyre Sage. Nekusar drops Font of Mythos on turn 2 with a sol ring. My turn 2 I drop Selvala. Turn 3 Nekusar drops Howling Mine and some other mana rock... I drop Kalonian Hydra and a Hero's Blade. Turn 4 I cast a creature before swinging and then swing with the hydra, doubling his power and the sage up to 6 counters. I've got something like 18 mana to work with so I dump my hand even with drawing 5+ cards a turn. Nekusar drops Price of Knowledge... One of the other players does a kicked rites on Kalonian Hydra which prompts a board wipe from the player on his left even though I would have killed them all on my turn by swinging with my own or just killed him if he didn't block... Post wipe Nekusar gets out his general. I took ~10 damage in my upkeep/draw step from drawing 5 + the price burn down to ~21. I recast Selvala, equip the hero's blade free, add a counter to her with Oran-Rief, Equip boots and cast berserk on her. Tap her for 12. Use 5 of it to draw 12 off of Soul's Majesty going down to 9. Drew into Thousand Year Elixir which lets me untap and float another 12. I cast a Nessian Wilds Ravager asking my wife to let me fight the nekusar which she obviously didn't so I have another 12/12 on the field. I then cast Temur Sabertooth, bounce Selvala and proceed to go infinite which caused the table to scoop. I only would have killed two players that turn but it was pretty obvious how broken she is.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-17 10:45 am 

Not a super cool play, but one of those games I had to write down for future reference. For all the games where you believe you have the most terrible luck, this one reminded me that the pendulum definitely swings both ways.

4 player game. I'm playing Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas, opponents are playing:

Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Nekusar, the Mindrazer
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury

Have a solid hand, set for turn 3 Kalemne, but Nekusar starts faster and manages a turn 1 Liliana's Caress into a turn 2 Dark Deal. Hoses my hand, I get left with 4 lands, a Sun Titan and a Tenza, Godo's Maul.

Table of course immediately gangs up on Nekusar, especially after he drops a Waste Not. Edric player is casting weenies, Rhystic Study and a Mystic Remora, along with a Nature's Will and just drawing a tonne of cards. He is priority number 2, but Nekusar is threatening to end things quicker. Freyalise is ramp durdling, despite having much needed enchantment removal attached to his bloody Commander. Just one of those players.

I think at this point Nekusar wheels us again, putting everyone very low. I draw into Sword of Fire and Ice and Sigarda's Aid, equip, swing and manage to hit Nekusar for 8 Commander Damage through 4 Zombies.

Collude with Edric, who I know has counterspells to just stop Nekusar from going off next turn and I promise to pop him. Agrees, but since I have to follow through with my promise, Edric proceeds to dump most of his hand (he had Burgeoning out since turn 1) in prep for his own power play.

Nekusar does indeed attempt to go off, is stopped, I satisfyingly pop him next turn. Freyalise still durdling, playing Elves basically.

For all the effort I spent killing Nekusar for everyone, Edric then casts Eternal Witness getting back Craterhoof Behemoth. I'm groaning to myself at this point, because it's now one of those games where you solve one boring problem, and probably die to the next boring problem anyway. I need to top deck a board clear at this point or GG. Edric also plays a Glacial Chasm, so I can't bloody swing at him either.

On my turn? No board wipe, but damn me if I didn't channel the cards anyway and I miracle into Reforge the Soul. Boom, Craterhoof is gone! I also draw into Sword of Light and Shadow and Darksteel Plate, which with Sigarda's Aid, I have JUST enough mana to play and equip both to Kalemne and swing at Freyalise (can't swing at Edric still because of Glaciers). I get both strikes in, bringing Freyalise to 3 life, and draw into Strip Mine with SoFI and bring back Sun Titan and Karmic Guide with SoLS.

Freyalise, now afraid, finally drops their first relevant card, Ensnaring Bridge. Fortunately for me, I have a Aura of Silence in my graveyard, so the plan is in motion.

Edric leaves mana open, expect a counterspell, Freyalise plays more Elves thinking he is safe behind bridge (obviously didn't see my Aura in the yard).

My turn come back, cast Sun Titan first and bait Edric's counterspell, then cast Karmic Guide, returning Titan, returning Aura of Silence and drop Strip Mine. Pop both Bridge and Glaciers and swing at Edric for lethal.

At this point the game SHOULD be over, 2 strikes would hit Edric no matter what, allowing me 2 SoFI triggers to pop Freyalise for 4 and lethal as well.

Of course, Edric scoops to the second trigger though... Next turn? Freyalise (who had a Guantlet of Power out) drops a bunch of Regal Force style creatures cards, and draws into, of course, bloody Craterhoof Behemoth.

So despite being insanely lucky, and beating down a Nekusar and Edric players and a Freyalise player to 3 bloody life, I still lost to Craterhoof in the end, haha. That's playing online for you though...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-17 3:48 pm 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Of course, Edric scoops to the second trigger though...
I've played in groups before where the "spite scoop" was not allowed. You can resign at any time, but if it would affect the game (because of combat triggers, or additional effects of a spell on the stack targeting you or your permanent, or permanents you own that are controlled by another player ceasing to exist, for example), a simulacrum of you lingers until the end of the turn, and all of the permanents you owned also linger as simulacra (I'm specifically avoiding the word "token" here because of corner cases with Emmara Tandris).

Not saying it's the "correct" way to play; every group gets to decide for themselves, but the way I see it you were still the winner of that game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-17 6:33 pm 

intreped wrote:
GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Of course, Edric scoops to the second trigger though...
I've played in groups before where the "spite scoop" was not allowed. You can resign at any time, but if it would affect the game (because of combat triggers, or additional effects of a spell on the stack targeting you or your permanent, or permanents you own that are controlled by another player ceasing to exist, for example), a simulacrum of you lingers until the end of the turn, and all of the permanents you owned also linger as simulacra (I'm specifically avoiding the word "token" here because of corner cases with Emmara Tandris).

Not saying it's the "correct" way to play; every group gets to decide for themselves, but the way I see it you were still the winner of that game.

Yep, the guy scooping can do what he wants but your attack will go through and your triggers resolve for the purpose of the players remaining in the game.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 5:39 am 

I'll take the consolation win then haha. In RL I would have asked it to be played out. Online, you don't have much control over it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 8:07 am 

Yeah, in my group we have a definite no-no rule against that; we call it douche-scooping because we don't care that much about being PC among a group of people who've been close friends for over 10 years... But, anyway, yeah, occasionally one of us will forget and try to be cute and scoop to a combat trigger or something like that, but the person attacking is explicitly allowed to say "fuck you, imma get mine" and resolve whatever trigger was supposed to happen anyway. Same goes for any situation where a person scooping affects another person's play in a negative way - like, for instance, someone casts Windfall when another play has like 20 cards in hand, and everyone else has 2 or 3. If the 20 card hand person tried to scoop to make the other guy's windfall suck ass, we'd call foul real quick.

Basically, we just kinda have a rule that you don't get to scoop while stuff is resolving. The stack has to be empty and it can't be mid-combat. If you do, for whatever reason, the stack still resolves as if you were in the game, if it matters.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-18 5:27 pm 

Anyone can scoop at any time in our group, but we let triggers resolve as if the player was still there, there hasn't even been discussion about this ever. I can't imagine regular play groups allowing this?

This is one of the big flaws in online magic, imo. The give up button should be disabled when there's anything on the stack, then a least the scooping douche needs to bend under his desk and pull out the ethernet cable

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-04 3:41 pm 

Friend playing Superfriends:

"Cast Doubling Season, swing with Narset, drop Strionic Resonator and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, ulti' Ugin and double the ulti with the resonator, filling up the battlefield with other ulti-ready planeswalkers. Good game?"

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-05 6:10 am 

Malekoda wrote:
Friend playing Superfriends:

"Cast Doubling Season, swing with Narset, drop Strionic Resonator and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, ulti' Ugin and double the ulti with the resonator, filling up the battlefield with other ulti-ready planeswalkers. Good game?"

Is it safe to assume you meant Rings of Brighthearth? The resonator doesn't double planeswalker abilities since they are activated.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-07 2:15 am 

Ukkmaster wrote:
Is it safe to assume you meant Rings of Brighthearth? The resonator doesn't double planeswalker abilities since they are activated.

I'm pretty sure it was the resonator. It's possible we all just assumed it worked like rings without reading the card.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-08 10:48 am 

intreped wrote:
I've played in groups before where the "spite scoop" was not allowed...

I dont think this has come up very often in my paper games, but I like this is a house rule. Next time my LGS has a commander league I might get them to implement it for the few instances that people try this.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-12 6:14 am 

Yesterday was, of course, the release of the Commander 2016 decks, so today my local store did a Commander event. I turned up with the latest version of my Nicol Bolas deck, which is actually several versions further along than the one linked to (which I should really get around to updating). I ended up playing against a Prime Speaker Zegana Merfolk deck, an Ezuri, Claw of Progress deck, a Breya, Etherium Shaper precon (perhaps slightly modified), an Atraxa, Praetors' Voice precon (slightly modified), and an Aurelia, the Warleader Angels tribal deck, in that turn order.

The game started off fairly innocuously, with all of us ramping up a bit (me doing so with a Solemn Simulacrum, a Burnished Hart (that I wasn't able to use thanks to Aurelia playing an Angel of Jubilation), and a Gem of Becoming. The Ezuri player played a Frozen Aether on turn 3 which slowed all of the rest of us down, and he started building up a board state that included several Experience counters, a Champion of Lambholt, and a Copperhorn Scout. The rest of us chugged along for a bit, slowed down as we were by the Frozen Aether. The Atraxa player got a Necroplasm out which killed a bunch of tokens, my Baleful Strix and Burnished Hart, and most of Ezuri's board.

Eventually, I bounced Frozen Aether to Ezuri's hand in Aurelia's end step using Crosis's Charm, then on my turn I cast Nicol Bolas, equipped him with an already cast Lightning Greaves, and swung at Ezuri, getting rid of the Frozen Aether and the rest of his hand. He proceeded to sulk for the rest of the game for getting "ganged up" on. To try and avoid being hated out, I then equipped the Greaves to another creature, to give the table a chance to deal with Bolas (but they didn't).

Zegana cast a cheap spell then a Crush of Tentacles (paying its Surge cost) to leave him with an 8/8 Octopus, the Atraxa player with an Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker that had been trapped underneath Aurelia's Chained to the Rocks, and everyone else with their boards in their hands.

We all started rebuilding our boards. I cast a Myojin of Night's Reach and (re)cast and equipped Lightning Greaves to it, so I had a blocker for the 8/8 Octopus. I also played a Thespian's Stage and used it to copy Zegana's Reliquary Tower as I had a plan. In my next turn I cast Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and -2ed him to steal Atraxa's Ishai, who had become a 20/20 due to people rebuilding their boards. I then cast a Disciple of Bolas to sacrifice Ishai to gain 20 life and draw 20 cards, which I then didn't discard due to my actors having a VERY good set (though I did misplay by not having Ishai attack someone for 20 first).

I lost Bolas to Zegana's next attack, though I wasn't too bothered as I was quite happy just to have drawn 20 cards and gained 20 life off of him.

On his next turn, Atraxa cast a Languish, so in response I removed the Divinity counter from the soon-to-be-dead Myojin, and in response to that Zegana cast an overloaded Cyclonic Rift. So everyone except for Zegana sent most of their board to their hand, then everyone except me discarded their hand, then Zegnna lost most of his board to the Languish (only having the Octopus left over).

At this point I struck, casting a Painful Quandary to slow down/hurt the rest of the players, since they had no hands and little-to-no board presence, and a Waste Not to take advantage of those discards. I had a huge grip of cards with which I could make sure I could keep them down long enough to win me the game.

Zegana cast his namesake and drew 8 cards since the Octopus was still in play, then cast a Coralhelm Commander that he'd drawn. On Atraxa's turn, he cast Atraxa then Proliferated Zegana's +1/+1 counters to make her a 10/10. In my next turn, I cast Slave of Bolas targeting Zegana, attacked Aurelia with Zegana, then recast Disciple of Bolas to sacrifice Zegnna to draw me 10 more cards and gain 10 more life.

Breya started building up a nasty board state, despite my precautions, so I had to cast Crux of Fate, choosing non-Dragons, to get rid of everything except Bolas, including a number of my Zombies from the Waste Not (though I attacked Ezuri's Nissa, Voice of Zendikar first with them to make sure she died).

Aurelia managed to cast her namesake and attack me a couple of times. She also cast an Archangel of Thune and tried to swing with that alongside Aurelia but I managed to Terminate the Archangel before damage was dealt. Good thing too, as the bonus +1/+1 counter would have otherwise given Aurelia enough Power to kill me (I ended the game with 18 Aurelia damage).

One by one I picked the other players off, first bouncing Aurelia then attacking her owner with Bolas-boosted-with-Grixis Charm's third mode, since she was on 9 life. Then Zegana died to exact damage from Bolas (since he'd cast Zegana again, taking his life down to 7, to try and draw into an answer), and Ezuri conceded. I cast a Cruel Ultimatum which I then Reiterated, and had both copies target Atraxa, since he'd cast a couple of nasty creatures that I couldn't otherwise deal with at the moment. He then tried to cast Avacyn, Angel of Hope but missed that I had counterspell mana up and I used Counterflux to stop that dead. Breya then died as I used an Argentum Armor'ed Guul Draz Specter to destroy her own Baleful Strix that was otherwise flying in Bolas's way. And finally I killed Atraxa after a long and hard-fought battle.

This game took up three-and-a-half hours, during which the other 5-man pod had managed to play 4 games of Commander themselves. It's the first time my Bolas deck has actually won a game (and how, drawing 30 cards and gaining 30 life off of Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, Slave of Bolas, and Disciple of Bolas) and I reckon after that performance it'll be the last time it ever does so, too :P

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-15 1:42 pm 

Just took Yidris out for a spin against my sister playing Atraxa.
Dumb play of the game:
Spelltwine a Parting Thoughts (nabbed 4 cards) and an Ancient Excavation (cycled 11 cards, pitching some lands, instants, and sorceries, and a past in flames).
Kydele taps for 16!! mana.
Flashback past in flames, cast various spells to kill Atraxa's board and then swing for lethal.

Said dumb play was highly enabled by a couple of earlier Yidris hits that cascaded into some mana rocks and the first casting of parting thoughts that nabbed 8 cards that time around.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next