Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-21 10:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cool Plays Thread
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 6:48 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Ukkmaster wrote:
Today at the prerelease 2HG, I had an opponent counter my Kozilek, with his Kozilek, with a Kozilek. I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to upset by that.

I'd be upset that I wasn't lucky enough to pack 2 Kozileks in 4 packs.

8 packs. It was 2HG.

One of the pools at my 2HG was a promo Nissa, non foil Nissa and a wasteland expedition. Both Nissa's showed up every round. >.>

It was a guy on a table near to me, and he pulled one for his Promo card, and another in the seeded back, so it was indeed within 4 packs.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-21 2:34 am 

Not my story, but I wanted to share it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EDH/comments/4 ... _is_legal/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-21 3:45 am 

intreped wrote:

Epic.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-25 9:03 am 

intreped wrote:

Holy crap that is hilarious.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-26 7:02 am 

So, in case anyone has ever wondered what "imprinting" a Time Spiral onto an Eye of the Storm will do to a game...

One of my opponents was on Arjun, which is not quite a “chaos” deck in the sense that its primary goal is not to ruin games with "hilarious" random effects that make strategy impossible... but it DOES have a theme of just running things out and saying "fuck it, let's see what happens!". This tends to result in an actual, semi-coherent line of play that distinguishes this deck from the more obnoxious breed of “chaos” decks, but it certainly can and has led to the deck handing someone else (usually me) the game on a silver platter.

Usually it's a lot more straight forward, and just kills you with Molten Psyche or Psychosis Crawler, but occasionally it does something really insane… however, this last game just completely redefined “insane”.

So… I was playing Surrak Dragonclaw (ramp and fatties, basically), and my other opponent was on Ephara (do everything at Instant speed, but mostly that means playing creatures with Flash).

The game was pretty straightforward at first with the Arjun player advancing a Psychosis Crawler line that was eventually shut down by the Ephara player hitting the Crawler with a Swords or a Path or something. I threw a few minor wrenches into his plans, too, but Ephara put that line of play to bed permanently.

I beat up the Arjun player with fatties a bit to soften him up for a Stormbreath Dragon I'd been sandbagging since my opening hand - typically, I see the arjun player wind up with 20+ cards in his hand basically almost every game he ever plays, so I figured if I could just bide my time and cast/monstrous the Dragon in one turn I'd just kill him on the spot - I just needed to get his life down in the 20's to make sure.

Actually the Ephara deck tends to wind up with large hands, too, but not typically 20+. Anyway, given both opponents were on "I draw cards like a boss.dec" decks, I figured Stormy B would be seriously clutch. Well I waited and waited, but no one ever broke the 7-card-max barrier... until it was too late.

After getting his "actually trying to win" line of play busted up beyond repair, he went for the "fuck it" play instead - Eye of the Storm, Windfall, and some number of other instant spells. I should note at this point, Ephara had JUST played Alhammaret's Archive and with the number of Windfalls that just got put on the stack, she was going to be required to draw upwards of 100 cards...

Unfortunately for her, I had some stuff to cast as well, so I threw a couple more Windfalls in just for shits and giggles. At that point she was forced to Oblation her own Archive to avoid an empty library loss. This triggered another flurry of me and Arjun casting things to get our own Oblations. I should have hit the Eye of the Storm at this point, but I really didn't think Arjun had an actual line of play...

So about 30 minutes later, we finally resolved the insane stack of spells and copies, etc... the stack was finally empty and Arjun could cast sorcery speed things again. Ephara had like 20 cards left in her library. I milled quite a bit, but since I wasn't on the "draw ALL the cards" plan with my deck, I had more like 40 or so. Somewhere in there, someone actually had the sense to target Eye of the Storm itself with Oblation, so that seemed to be the end of it.

Arjun passed, I played something and maybe something else, but made sure to pass with mana open because I had a couple of Instants in hand, just in case. Ephara was making “scoop noises” because she only had roughly 20 cards in her library and basically all her win-cons and minimal recursion were in her graveyard. She was pretty much screwed, but the Arjun player goes “No, don’t scoop, you’re about to get all that stuff back.” So she doesn’t scoop, just plays out a guy and passes the turn with some mana up.

At this point it is clear to me, at least, that Arjun has a Time Spiral coming… but what I didn’t know was, somehow, after the Oblation took care of Eye of the Storm, he actually drew into it again the same damn turn, probably off an Arjun ‘moil trigger… I assume he didn’t actually draw Eye off the very Oblation that shuffled it in – he is not the type of player to not burst into hysterical giggling if that were the case, and he did not giggle. Actually I think we resolved like 4 or 5 more Windfalls AFTER the Oblation shuffled away the Eye, so that’s how he got it – but that he found it in the LAST Windfall and not one of the ones before… lucksacking sonuva…

Anyway, I saw the Time Spiral coming… but I didn’t foresee him casting Eye of the Storm. AGAIN. Before casting Time Spiral. So now we have an Eye of the Storm with a goddamned Time Spiral on it. Obviously it doesn’t end there. Many, many instants get cast by all sides. At this point, Ephara and I are both on the same plan – use our Instants to dig and untap as much as possible until one of us finds Back to Nature or Return to Dust or whatever to try and stop this crazy train.

Fast forward 90 minutes and it is still Arjun’s turn. The same turn. That very first flurry of spells kicked off by the Time Spiral took about an hour to finally peter out… by this point, the Ephara player had unwisely tapped some of her mana to flash in some creatures or something so she no longer had Return to Dust mana up. But she couldn’t remember if she still had any Insants that could be cast by a single Blue mana – all she had open. Her Pongify was exiled by the first Eye of the Storm, but she wasn’t sure if she also had Rapid Hybridization or some other thing that would get allow her to get back in the Time Spiral game.

Anyway, Ephara didn’t scoop, but the player herself had wandered off to the living room to watch Doctor Who with my wife, and I was just resolving her Time Spirals as we went – she never drew anything she could cast for U but drew that Return to Dust about a dozen or more times… GRRRR. At this point I’m still sort of holding out hope of drawing that Back to Nature, but with Time Spiral going on over and over, I don’t even know if that would have done much. So, Arjun just takes a 90 minute turn, we resolve probably more than 50 Time Spirals as well as countless other spells. By the end of it, there are over 20 spells on the Eye, many of which don’t actually DO anything, they were just cast by one of us to get copies of OTHER spells!

At some point, the stack actually wound down and emptied out, but I soon learned that Arjun had simply allowed that to happen so he could cast Vedalken Orrery and his general, Arjun, and then kicked off a whole new chain with a brainstorm or faithless looting, something like that.

Ephara is off chatting with my wife, I’m playing her deck and mine, but hers is basically irrelevant unless she draws a CMC 1 blue Instant that may not even be in the deck… I’m only still invested because A) I have possible outs, B) Arjun has not yet demonstrated any actual, real ability to WIN, and C) I am having a blast figuring out all the insanely complicated stacks and mind-numbing rules interactions because I’m a huge nerd and that shit is fun to me.

Plus, at one point the Arjun player himself whimpered about not wanting to play it out anymore but I was like, “No! You built this deck, you fucking play it out! Finish what you started!” So basically my role transitioned more from “opponent” to “judge” and while I wasn’t looking at his hand or anything like that, I was making sure everything that wasn’t hidden information was all happening as it should, and occasionally pointing out where he could do something he’d overlooked.

About 70 minutes into this 90-minute turn, the Ephara player wandered back into the room and was incredulous that I hadn’t scooped yet. My exact words were very close to this: “I’m honestly not sure if I can even win this game, but so far Arjun has not demonstrated that HE can win, so…” and her response was a very sheepish “C-… can I win?” to which both Arjun and I burst into the biggest fits of laughter I think we have ever had playing Magic. Well, If she hadn’t tapped her Return to Dust mana for a do-nothing creature, she would have at least been able to stop this madness, but sadly…

Finally, after all that time, now that we’ve all probably drawn about 1,000 cards, he draws into a Molten Psyche and casts it… only to realize he doesn’t have Metalcraft. Oops! But after tanking a bit, he casts a few more spells and after resolving some Arjun moils and some Time Spirals, he finds Word of Seizing . He casts it, casts some other stuff, gets a couple of copies of Word of Seizing to steal two artifacts from Ephara to go with his own Thought Vessel – now he has metalcraft, so casts something else to get an Eye of the Storm copy of Molten Psyche and that’s that.

In any other situation, I’d be highly annoyed that one player got to take a 30 minute turn and a 90 minute turn, basically accounting for two hours of a three hour game JUST for his last two turns alone. But it was fun and funny as hell, and led to a pretty epic game overall, so I can’t hold it against him – but from now on, I am never, EVER going to leave an Eye of the Storm in play, if I have the ability to kill it. It is definitely the new #1 spot on my “Must Kill At All Costs” list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-26 9:39 am 

This is why you play counterspells. Not counterspell.dec but 1-4 counters in your deck to handle large threats like that. An Eye with a counter on it would be much less threatening.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-26 11:31 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
C) I am having a blast figuring out all the insanely complicated stacks and mind-numbing rules interactions because I’m a huge nerd and that shit is fun to me.

FUCKIN' A

<3 You get me, man. I'm the only guy in my group like this and it hurts to see everyone's eyes glaze over when you're trying to sort out and then explain a stack resolution.

Love that shit! :D

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-27 1:17 am 

Epsilon wrote:
This is why you play counterspells. Not counterspell.dec but 1-4 counters in your deck to handle large threats like that. An Eye with a counter on it would be much less threatening.

LOL, I disagree in general; counterspells are the enemy of fun, IMO. But as it happens I did try to Temur Charm something at one point, only to wind up with 4 copies of Temur Charm pointed back at my original one...

A short bar room brawl errupted a little later when Arjun tried to make one of his guys fight one of my guys, and a battle over who could cast the most Temur charms ended with every single creature except Arjun being dead.

Honestly, it was one of the most fun games of Magic I've played in years. With a more permission-friendly environment, these kinds of things happen even less frequently than they already do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 2:41 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
C) I am having a blast figuring out all the insanely complicated stacks and mind-numbing rules interactions because I’m a huge nerd and that shit is fun to me.

I hear you there. One of my favorite standard decks I ever built was an Eye of the Storm combo deck that used Mystical Teachings to get Early Harvest to cast every instant in the deck.

I once played it in a multiplayer free-for-all game, and got Mindslavered the turn I cast EotS. The guy hasn't seen the deck go off before, but he sees the Teachings in my hand and figures that is how the chain starts. He is flipping through the deck and spots the Early Harvest, and figures that buying back the mana repeatedly is necessary so he chooses and casts that. He goes into the deck for a second time, flipping though it quickly. He goes through it again card by card. Then he announces, "I give up; I have no idea how this deck wins," then fails to find, taps me out, and passes the turn. Fortunately I had a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, in play so nobody else could tee off on me with the Teachings/Harvest in the Eye during the next turn cycle. When it came back around to me, I reminded the guy that Careful Consideration doesn't have to target yourself. :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 4:49 am 

So, I built a new Sen Triplets deck this weekend, and got to play a couple games. Game 1, my opponents are on new decks as well: Ayli (Clerics) and Tazri (Allies). Allies kind of runs away with Game 1 after I blow through all of my removal, all of Ayli’s removal, and a Wrath, too. Ayli got pummeled early on so she was never able to get her life high enough to use Ayli’s removal ability, and I hijacked all her removal spells (largely choosing the same targets she’d have chosen anyway), but despite all that, Allies just rebounded over and over. Eventually a Seagate Loremaster came down, Hasty, thanks to Fires of Yavimaya and draws lots of cards. I am secretly happy because anything he doesn’t cast is MINE, ALL MINE! But… he cast everything worth casting immediately, and about a turn cycle later, we’re all dead.

Second game, Ayli switches to Uril, but Allies sticks to his guns. The early game is a bit slow, and I have a slight mana problem. I still manage to do things, but by the time I get Triplets online, no one has any land or ramp left in their hand. Uril is doing her level best to cast everything she draws no matter what, to keep me from ganking her stuff. Fortunately, what she draws is mostly not too scary. There are some light skirmishes and a bit of damage thrown around but our life totals are all low-to-mid-thirties. The only thing I got to steal from Uril’s hand the entire game was a Basic Forest.

Anyway, Allies is light on mana as well, and having a hard time so he casts Tazri and tutors for Harabaz Druid that he can’t even cast until next turn, which at first I was not excited about. But Uril is in topdeck mode, so I still have to choose to hijack the Allies player’s hand. At first I think it’s full of duds, so I just consider a few lines of play involving stuff from my own hand, but then I take a second look and realize the Allies plan gives me a pretty sweet line of play.

So, first off I jack Harabaz Druid, Greaves it up. Then I cast that “converge” spell that makes 1/1 allies for each color you spent. I spend three colors and get three 1/1 allies. I tap Harabaz Druid for 4 blue, and hijack Rite of Replication (no kicker), on the Harabaz Druid (after moving Greaves to something else). I haste up the new token copy of the Druid and now tap it for 5 mana, which I use to cast Kuldotha Forgemaster. I greaves that up, and pass.

During Uril’s turn, she points an Indrik Stomphowler at Sen Triplets (I had to leave them un-Greaved so that Forgemaster could be used), so I tap Forgemaster sacing Triplets and two other things to find a Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Both Uril and Allies had a lot of R/G stuff. The turn goes around, no one wants to attack into Sphinx, so I get to untap without further interference. I topdeck Etherium Sculptor witch lets me go Sculptor into mana rock into Darksteel Forge, then re-cast Sen Triplets and have one mana open for a Path to Exile. I pass, feeling pretty good about this position.

Uril, though, ends up swinging all-out at me, which takes me by surprise. I have indestructible blockers, and a pro-red, pro-green sphinx. But I forgot she had Kessig Wolf Run, so I block poorly and end up taking TWENTY general damage. I realize I had, earlier, played that basic forest from Uril’s hand, and had I not done so, I’d be dead right here. Phew! Anyway, I take some damage, gain some life, eat a couple of attackers, but I take 20 damage from Uril and there’s still a Kessig Wolf Run on the table. This could end badly!

I save the Path since it doesn’t help me against Uril and the other damage I took was pretty meaningless in comparison. I wind up using Path on something the Allies player dropped that made me nervous, but I forget what it was. Allies sends a bit of trample my way, which I block a bit of and eat a bit of. Uril takes a mild beating, nothing too severe. Allies is playing somewhat conservatively, but still being proactive overall. However, he passes with one card in hand (Uril, as always, has no hand at all).

Anyway, it’s my turn again and I draw something unhelpful. I’m really sweating that Uril + Wolfrun Combo. I chose allies to hijack, and his last card is Emeria Shepherd. Here’s where my memory is a bit spotty, but I think I have the basic sequences down – I still have Foregmaster in play but I have no idea what artifacts in my deck might get me out of this. I tap Commander’s Sphere to float mana, then sac it to draw. I find a basic Plains. Sweet! So I tap a couple of other mana rocks, float that mana and then activate Forgemaster, sacking itself and two mana rocks to go tinker something up. Again, I have no clue what I’m looking for but I pick up my deck and the third card I see is Oblivion Stone, so I snap pick that and drop it into play. I cast Emeria Shepherd off the two Harabaz druids, floating a few leftover mana. I have six floating at this point, so I cast open the vaults, getting back all those mana rocks and Forgemaster. I Greaves the Forgemaster and immediately pop it off again, this time getting Mycosynth Lattice. Now my whole entire board is indestructible and I have exactly five mana open to blow the O-Stone at any time.

I still have the basic plains in my hand when I pass. Uril immediately goes for a Grand Abolisher, which of course would prevent me from doing anything, like, say, blowing O-Stone in response to an attack, so I pretty much have to blow it now, with Abolisher on the stack. Uril and Allies are both in topdeck mode with no board, save that Abolisher, and I have and indestructible Emeria Shepherd. They get a bit salty, so just to make the decision easier I flash them the basic plains I was holding and that clinches it. I felt quite a bit bad about what was, essentially, a makeshift version of the Lattice/Disk/Forge lock, but I did assemble it partially from cards other people were playing, and Stone doesn’t kill lands even in this scenario… plus I did take 20 Uril damage out of nowhere.

Ultimately, I enjoyed putting together those sequences of plays, and I was happy to win a game, but it did leave my opponents grumbling about putting Leyline of Sanctity in all their decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 6:38 am 

I had a pretty funny play last week with my Kalemne deck. I lost horribly thanks to a grave pact lock and not drawing any removal but the play was still epic...

I cast new Kozilek... then had to sacrifice him to grave pact. Next turn, I cast Kozilek's Return followed by old Kozilek... then had to sacrifice him to grave pact. Drew a buttload of cards for a boros deck but still didn't get anything useful to get rid of the grave pact. Then I died a horrible death.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 7:31 am 

LOL, something tells me Grave Pact is your favorite card, right? ;)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-01 7:38 am 

thaumaturge wrote:

I actually do really like it. I just couldn't get out from under it that game. If only I had drawn my It that Betrays instead... or you know, any thing that removes enchantments.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-02 1:20 am 

Epsilon wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:

I actually do really like it. I just couldn't get out from under it that game. If only I had drawn my It that Betrays instead... or you know, any thing that removes enchantments.

Same. It's one of my favorite cards in the format, but it defintely can just wreck a game or two.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-11 8:06 pm 

Playing my Tesya deck in a 4 player game a while ago. It's always special when a planeswalker hits his ultimate and this was no different. Was able to get on the board quickly with a turn 2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (yay Sol Ring) followed by a Bitterblossom and Teysa, Orzhov Scion. The next few turns were uneventful with me ticking up Sorin, getting tokens and warding off any attack with vampires, faeries and spirits alike.
Turn 5 came, Sorin ult happened targeting Archangel of Thune from the W/G player, Dragonlord Kolaghan from the Scion of the Ur-Dragon player and a random creature from the third player. Used my mana to cast Sunscorch Regent. Turned everything sideways, cackle maniacally.
Noone had a sweeper ready so had to spent cards trying to search for one, which meant Regent and Thune blew my army through the roof. The game did not last long. Since that game Archangel of Thune has a slot in my deck :D

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next