Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-15 9:06 am

Post subject: 2 Ticket Daxos
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-19 3:03 am 

I played my first game of EDH on the new client, maybe my 3rd overall. The only deck I have on MODO is a Daxos deck that has a total cost of less than 2 tickets (because this restriction was very amusing to me at the time.) I joined a random 4-man Commander game. It took me a while to figure out how to see all my opponents and their commanders. It's pretty tough on a 13" laptop, and the interface hides them by default, but I eventually got it sorted out.

Opponents were Mangara, Animar, and Vorosh.

I keep an opening hand of 4 basic lands and some spells, which I won't spoil yet. Turn 1 Animar plays a Sol Ring, and everybody else just plays land. Turn 2 sees more land and ramp. Turn 3 I cast Daxos and Animar come down, more ramp.

Turn 4 I swing at Vorosh, exile, and cast Fierce Empath. I get literally the only card I can: Vedalken Dismisser. Mangara misses a land drop, Animar drops some monster, and Vorosh casts a Sad Robot.

Turn 5 between the Robot and a 2/2 Animar, my only attack option is Mangara. So I, like any reasonable person, Bamboozle him, leaving Skullclamp on top, then attack. He tries to Condemn Daxos, then scoops when I save him with Whitemane Lion. Animar and Vorosh both play some stuff.

As we enter mid-game, Animar starts to go off by playing Avatar of Fury and a couple other beaters and Vorosh sets up with a Steel Hellkite. I steal Avatar with Corrupted Conscience to try to live out the turn.

The following turn, Animar plays Fires of Yavimaya and bunch of fatties and alphas me. (I can't pay for fire breathing on the Avatar, and I'll be dead in two turns, so seems safe, right?) I chump block with Vedalken Dismisser (who had hit Steel Hellkite before Animar hit the fan) and Whitemane Lion to go to 22. On my turn I casually drop True Conviction, poison Animar out and force a chump with the Sad Robot on Daxos.

Over the next couple turns, Daxos gets removed and countered a couple times, and my Ring of Valkas is destroyed to take away his haste. (Look. This deck costs 2 tickets and haste is super good for Daxos. Also, Chariot of Victory didn't exist when I built the deck.) Highlights of this include Vorosh casting Diluvian Primordial to copy the best spell in my graveyard: Forced Retreat and casting Vanish into Memory to save Daxos from his fifth trip to the CZ.

The game is looking pretty good for me when I use a combo of Ether Well and Evoked Nevermaker to tuck and exile both Primordial and Woodfall Primus and gain a million life. Then Vorosh casts Animate Dead on my Nevermaker to give him a blocker. On my turn, I Flickerform Nevermaker, and he extends the proverbial hand.

All-in-all, the new client isn't that bad and $2 still buys you a pretty entertaining deck on MODO.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2 Ticket Daxos
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-27 7:53 pm 

For comparision, here's my MODO Daxos:

1 Wall of Frost
1Divination
1 Pillar of Light
18 Island
14 Plains
1 Jace's Ingenuity
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Take Possession
1 Opportunity
1 Sol Ring
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Revoke Existence
1 Curse of the Swine
1 Azorius Guildgate
1 Dust to Dust
1 Austere Command
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Medomai the Ageless
1Ring of Evos Isle
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Coldsteel Heart
1Hindering Light
1 Azorius Charm
1 Azorius Guildmage
1 Desertion
1 Clone
1 Exile
1 Aura Blast
1 Marshal's Anthem
1 Sphinx of Lost Truths
1Steel Hellkite
1Everflowing Chalice
1 Condemn
1 Decree of Justice
1Steel of the Godhead
1Scrabbling Claws
1 Command Tower
1Azorius Signet
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Mask of Memory
1 Mind Stone
1 Star Compass
1 Trinket Mage
1 Recurring Insight
1 Spin into Myth
1 Hinder
1 Akroma's Vengeance
1 Lantern of Insight
1 Strip Mine
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
1 Draining Whelk
1 Sun Titan
1Commander Eesha
1 Redirect
1 Fabricate
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Guiding Spirit
1 Encroaching Wastes
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Hobble
1 Annex
1 Keiga, the Tide Star
1 Sword of the Chosen

1 Daxos of Meletis
[/list]

I'm on a budget myself. My bigges problems are
1 Keeping Daxos active/not running out of steam
2 Winning the game, i.e. dealing enough damage, as I don't play combo and lack the expensive voltron-equipment for general damage

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-27 8:38 pm 

asi wrote:

Maybe something like Tatsumasa would be good for you? Or sword of Kaldra. Not sure what these cost online but in paper they are cheap, and turn Daxos into a heavy hitting machine.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-28 3:03 am 

Double strike is super good for Daxos. I use:
Fireshrieker
True Conviction
Silverblade Paladin

I think haste is pretty much good all the time, so for haste I use:
Swiftfoot Boots
Ring of Valkas (Although this should just be Chariot of Victory)

For protection, I use:
Shelter
Otherworldy Journey
Flickerform
Stonecloaker
Whitemane Lion
Vanish into Memory

I also use a very non-standard clone to substitute for Daxos when he dies: Shapeshifter's Marrow. (Card is sweet, right?)

My strategy is really to play as the control deck with lots of cards that tuck to the top of the library, then to exile and cast them with Daxos. I really play almost no win conditions in my own deck and rely on stealing them from the other players. That's sort of the reality of building a deck for 2 tickets.

Offline Profile