Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Aug-16 1:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Tickle-Your-Fancy Plays
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-21 2:21 pm 

So, these aren't Cool enough for the other thread, but I thought they were funny/quirky...

Cast Ruhan-han and pass. Buddy plays Spreading Seas on my Rogue's Passage (rightfully so). On my turn I chuckle and tap the Rouge's Island to cast Artful Dodge, so Ruhan-han can smash in unblockably anyway! :twisted:

Or that moment when it dawned on me that Catch could give MY creature haste. I was so excited about this new tech that I immediately cast it on a fresh Ruhan-han...and it ended up smashing into another player's Terastodon :oops:

Sometimes I feel like a wide-eyed, fresh player, and all the cards are shiny, endless possibilities!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tickle-Your-Fancy Plays
AgePosted: 2013-Oct-23 12:12 am 

This past weekend, I used Dominate to take control of an Aurelia player's Mirran Crusader for double the effect: his Elesh Norn proceeded to kill off his own creature and it caused his Angelic Overseer to lose its indestructible (it sounds so dumb to say it that way, but since indestructible is now a keyword ability...) so I could swing overhead with a Lazav-now-Avacyn, for some key damage.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-23 1:42 am 

Segrus wrote:
This past weekend, I used Dominate to take control of an Aurelia player's Mirran Crusader for double the effect: his Elesh Norn proceeded to kill off his own creature

I guess you didn't have the 10 mana to take Elesh Norn outright? Or she had some form of protection? I always like it when the play you really want to make is impossible, but you see another play that does just what you need.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-23 2:32 am 

intreped wrote:
Segrus wrote:
This past weekend, I used Dominate to take control of an Aurelia player's Mirran Crusader for double the effect: his Elesh Norn proceeded to kill off his own creature

I guess you didn't have the 10 mana to take Elesh Norn outright? Or she had some form of protection? I always like it when the play you really want to make is impossible, but you see another play that does just what you need.

No, I had about eight mana total at the time. There were literally no other creatures on the battlefield other than my Lazav, his creatures, and I think by the end of the turn cycle the Progenitus player used Mirari's Wake to hard-cast Progenitus. I couldn't wait to cast it because any Avacyn--whether it's really just Lazav or not--causes everyone on the table to ignore anything else going on, even to their own detriment.

By getting that little bit of damage in, it gave courage to the Progenitus player to try to kill the Aurelia player (being at dangerous life levels) than ram me with it. This, in turn, caused the two to go after each other and not the rest of us.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-24 3:56 am 

I also really like the unexpected ones that I didn't see when I built the decks.

Like the first time I had Soul Sculptor and Soltari Visionary out together and thought about it.

Or Glen Elendra Archmage and Sage of Fables...

Or Beguiler of Wills and Serendib Sorcerer...

Or Proteus Staff and Chamber of Manipulation...

Or Goblin Welder + Mycosynth Wellspring + Ichor Wellspring (once one is in the graveyard..)

Or Greater Good + Living Death..

Or my all-time favorite, Nacatl War-Pride with Cathars' Crusade. That one really snuck up on me as I didn't have enough dice available... lol

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-24 6:57 pm 

Two weeks ago I was laughed at for playing a Foil Havoc Festival. No one was laughing when Havoc Festival won me that game. Well, actually, we totally were, because it was a rather silly game, but I digress.

The best part came down to the last turn of the game. The only players left were me with Bladewing the Risen against a Krenko, Mob Boss deck. I was at six life with the HF trigger on the stack, and I was racing against Krenko at three life. He had Barrage of Expendables, Skirk Prospector, and a couple of goblin tokens. I had a lone Shivan Hellkite and many newly-untapped lands. In the end, I played my triggers better.

That game was crazy.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Oct-29 2:28 am 

I managed to resolve a Storm Herd with Cathar's Crusade in play. Got wrathed before my next untap, but it was happy to be able to have over 1,000 power on the board without going infinite.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-03 5:51 pm 

Ive been really enjoying Jarad's Orders for Bladewing the Risen and another dragon (this second one varies alot according to what I need) in my Sek'kuar deck.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-03 5:58 pm 

PredatoryAmoeba wrote:
Ive been really enjoying Jarad's Orders for Bladewing the Risen and another dragon (this second one varies alot according to what I need) in my Sek'kuar deck.

You would think a combined Eladamri's Call and Entomb would see more play. Hell, you can even Fail to Find and use it as a strict creature tutor, but then I guess it would be strictly worse than Diabolic.

Still, this reminds me of all the times I wished I had green while playing Bladewing, despite my emphatic objections to my friend who keeps telling me to turn it into a Karrthus deck. A similar play I do use though is Rescue from the Underworld exiling Bladewing to nab me two dargons.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-08 10:17 pm 

My Ashling deck suprises me sometimes. Yesterday I killed a player turn 4 with Repercussion and Blasphemous Act + 1 damage from Ashling for exactsies. The next game I stumbled upon infinite mana with Mana Geyser and Reiterate. The game after that, Valakut + Furnace of Rath went the whole way. These aren't very original plays, but I like how a mono red deck can win in different ways mostly dependant on what the opponent has.

Kami of the Crescent Moon (mass draw, bounce and shenanigans)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (you did this to yourself: mono red edition)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-09 8:16 am 

My Karplusan Minotaur stayed alive for 11 turns! It dealt a total of 56 damage (albeit, most to me), but the tension and the randomness made the whole game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-10 6:29 am 

sagest_owl wrote:
My Karplusan Minotaur stayed alive for 11 turns! It dealt a total of 56 damage (albeit, most to me), but the tension and the randomness made the whole game.

I approve.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-19 6:48 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
I managed to resolve a Storm Herd with Cathar's Crusade in play. Got wrathed before my next untap, but it was happy to be able to have over 1,000 power on the board without going infinite.

I've seen this exact play happen before. About crapped myself, until I remembered I'd been sandbagging a Wrath the whole time...

EDIT: This reminds me of a play that seems perfect for this thread.

I was playing Melek, which of course was almost entirely instants and sorceries (and things that only do stuff when you cast lots of those). It's pretty early game and the Mayael player hits a Ruric Thar on his first activation of Mayael.

I slump in my chair, declaring in a semi-depressed and annoyed tone, "Well shit, I misewell just scoop. My deck can't do shit."

The Mayael player chuckled a bit, apologized and explained he hadn't even considered how badly it would hose me - it was the only thing Mayael flipped that was a valid choice, so naturally he took it.

Then I looked at my hand and saw I was holding Spitebellows. One of the few "pet card/good stuff" inclusions in the deck, and yet the most perfect answer possible. We all had a pretty good laugh then.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-19 7:55 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I will never get bored of Stifling the upkeep trigger from Vanish into Memory. I have a special little dance for the times I get to do that.

Recently I got to activate Memory Jar on my draw step, in response to the Sylvan Library I had in play. Basically, I got to dig 9 cards deep and save my favourite 2 for next turn. I thought that was pretty adorable.

Derevi + Thawing Glaciers is going to be my favourite thing for a while, I think. Notion Thief + Sign in Blood, Compulsive Research or Nekusar is pretty cool too, though. I kinda wish he was legendary.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Nov-20 10:26 pm 

Test driving my new Oloro deck, was about to be crushed by a big army which was either indestructable or had Asceticism regen protection - I forget. On what is to be my last turn, I draw Demonic Tutor, but I don't have enough mana to cast one of the exile wraths I had in my deck. So instead I tutored for a Vampiric Tutor and passed the turn.

Sure enough, the huge army comes my way, so I cast Vampiric Tutor for a Terminus which goes on the top of my library. I pop my Sensei's Divining Top, enabling me to cast Terminus for its miracle cost.

I was quite proud of myself until the player on my left cast a counterspell.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next