Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 10:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Using cards against their owners 101 - Funny
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-10 9:17 am 

Joz wrote:
something is unclear here...
Yes?

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-10 9:27 am 

Antis wrote:
Joz wrote:
something is unclear here...
Yes?

Nevermind, I got it.

Gilded Drake.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-17 10:21 pm 

Got killed by my own Scourge of Valkas today.

Was testing out my newly rebuilt Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind against Derevi, Progenitus, and Surrak Dragonclaw. Lots of shenanigans going on, and thanks to a recent boardwipe and an incident involving Jace's Archivist and a Cyclonic Rift, graveyards are quite full. Then Progenitus makes a play that wins the game for him in a way he didn’t see coming.

He manages to stick down a Doubling Season followed by Liliana Vess. He immediately ultimates, getting a lot of very nasty creatures, most notably my Scourge of Valkas, five other dragons, and a Phyrexian Metamorph. Metamorph comes in as a copy of the Scourge, and each Scourge triggers 7 times for 7 damage apiece, for a total of 98 damage.

It was a pretty amusing ending to a fun game, and it taught my playgroup to respect Scourge of Valkas.

EDIT: Realize this shouldn't have worked, on account of Scourge not being in play to be copied by the metamorph. Oh well, we were dead that turn anyway. Progenitus had a Sarkhan in play as well, and with a board full of reanimated fatties, we were hosed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-17 11:06 pm 

SirMalkin wrote:
Metamorph comes in as a copy of the Scourge

That can't happen. The metamorph's ability is a replacement effect. When you're choosing what to enter as a copy of, you must choose something that is already on the battlefield, and at that point the scourge was not.

EDIT: You already noticed this.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-14 5:57 am 

So Omnath has a crazy board state that if anyone were to cast a wipe he'd be able to kill at least two players from death triggers... He puts out a Fertilid but doesn't have the mana to immediately kill it so I cast Mirrorweave turning everything into a 0/0 Fertilid sans counters and his crazy board state is just dead with no death triggers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-14 10:36 am 

Epsilon wrote:
So Omnath has a crazy board state that if anyone were to cast a wipe he'd be able to kill at least two players from death triggers... He puts out a Fertilid but doesn't have the mana to immediately kill it so I cast Mirrorweave turning everything into a 0/0 Fertilid sans counters and his crazy board state is just dead with no death triggers.

That is awesome.

Gwendlyn Di Corci (Minotaur tribal)
Arjun, the Shifting Flame (storm)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-13 2:14 pm 

So this is sort of using other people's cards against them...

Played a game today I won from a particularly crazy set of circumstances. I was playing Arjun, and there were Sharuum and a Mayael decks at the table also. The Sharuum deck is equipment themed, so we weren't initially concerned about it being overpowered. Sharuum decks first few turns are Kor Duelist, Dark Confidant, and then Umezawa's Jitte. I'm getting really concerned where this is going, so I Chaos Warp the Jitte and burn out the Confidant. Unfortunately, the Chaos Warp turned up Sword of Body and Mind. Yeah, guess who that double striker is coming after, which a completely open board?

After a few turns, at least half my deck is in my graveyard and all I've really managed to play is Gilded Lotus. Yeah, completely nothing else on the battlefield, but I've managed to draw Mizzix's Mastery. So because I Chaos Warped when I did, and because he chose to attack me several times (to be fair, Mayael had gotten out Terastodon and Serra Avatar at this point), and because I just happened to draw Mizzix's Mastery...yeah, Inferno, Searing Wind, Ignite Memories, Grapeshot, Sulfurous Blast, Incite Rebellion, and ten other spells ended up on the stack. No one wanted to resolve it all and agreed I probably won.

I feel bad about it, mostly since this all happened on my sixth turn, but the pieces for it to happen were a little out of my control.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-15 2:25 am 

Segrus wrote:
So this is sort of using other people's cards against them...

Played a game today I won from a particularly crazy set of circumstances. I was playing Arjun, and there were Sharuum and a Mayael decks at the table also. The Sharuum deck is equipment themed, so we weren't initially concerned about it being overpowered. Sharuum decks first few turns are Kor Duelist, Dark Confidant, and then Umezawa's Jitte. I'm getting really concerned where this is going, so I Chaos Warp the Jitte and burn out the Confidant. Unfortunately, the Chaos Warp turned up Sword of Body and Mind. Yeah, guess who that double striker is coming after, which a completely open board?

After a few turns, at least half my deck is in my graveyard and all I've really managed to play is Gilded Lotus. Yeah, completely nothing else on the battlefield, but I've managed to draw Mizzix's Mastery. So because I Chaos Warped when I did, and because he chose to attack me several times (to be fair, Mayael had gotten out Terastodon and Serra Avatar at this point), and because I just happened to draw Mizzix's Mastery...yeah, Inferno, Searing Wind, Ignite Memories, Grapeshot, Sulfurous Blast, Incite Rebellion, and ten other spells ended up on the stack. No one wanted to resolve it all and agreed I probably won.

I feel bad about it, mostly since this all happened on my sixth turn, but the pieces for it to happen were a little out of my control.

You both have uncanny luck to find the one card in the deck that can triumph for free from another deck milling you. I think i need to make a value town deck that can compete lol. My Junky tribe decks seem to keep suffering defeat to ramp and big things, or card draw. That or they need speeding up. Goblins and Elves have faired ok and possibly the zombies. But all my latest brews seem to get smacked :evil:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-13 8:04 am 

I'm at 17 life, all my creatures have been destroyed, and I am facing a player with Mayael the Anima and another with a huge army of zombies (courtesy of Grave Titan) and worms (courtesy of Creakwood Liege). I draw for the turn, ready to concede to the hoard of creatures that is probably coming at me next turn, but then, I take another good look at the card I just drew.

I target the Mayael player, hoping for a mass removal spell that can buy me time to rebuild my board state. But I found something even better, something that caused me not to worry about my board state for the rest of the game :mrgreen:

Name: Night of the Ninja
General: Vela the Night-Clad
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Boros Legion
General: Aurelia, the Warleader
Archetype: Aggro

Name: Dragon Fire
General: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-10 10:28 pm 

There's this one guy who insists on playing Sorin Markov for his -3. I'm always targeted, because he knows how much that card p****s me off.

Yesterday he's sitting to my right and casts his Sorin, I'm playing blue but only have black mana left, so he feels pretty safe.

I flash in Unspeakable Symbol (Thanks Teferi!), and put myself at 1 life in response to Sorin's activation by boosting all my guys, and thank him for the extra lives.

My turn, I put myself at 1 again, and proceed to cast and activate Soul Conduit. I let him live that turn, though, my fully buffed Marchesa, the black rose army needed to dethrone someone else. The entire round he promises me all kinds of hell on his next turn, he's going to go berserk on me. Right before his draw I point out he has a Phyrexian Arena.

I while back I kinda promised Satan my firstborn to pull this off once, anyone any advice how to weasel out of a deal with that guy? Is he a whiskey man?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-10 11:20 pm 

Bourbon. Whisky's an insult.

I mean, that's what I imagine. Obviously I don't have him on speed dial or anything. His number has a lot of sixes for some reason.

Well played.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-16 8:06 am 

Nigerian Prince wrote:
I flash in Unspeakable Symbol (Thanks Teferi!)

You know Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir only lets you cast creatures at instant speed, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-16 11:45 am 

Plus, Soul Conduit put him at 10, so idk how Arena killed him.

But you mean play, intreped. Flash lets you 'play' them. I learned that distinction here on this forum actually when someone said they played Dryad Arbor in combat.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-16 1:15 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
Plus, Soul Conduit put him at 10, so idk how Arena killed him.

But you mean play, intreped. Flash lets you 'play' them. I learned that distinction here on this forum actually when someone said they played Dryad Arbor in combat.

Three more Unspeakable Symbol activations after Sorin and before Soul Conduit would do it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-16 3:25 pm 

Oops, missed the "again" part.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next