Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Oct-15 9:04 am

Post subject: Perilous Deck Construction
AgePosted: 2012-Jan-29 7:30 am 

This thread is to explore... let us say unwise construction of cards in a grouping and the cause of those selections.

Knowledge Exploitation how I love thee...
It's a card that does everything you want it to but its power level is based on your opponents deck construction ability and more times than not is usually just a Wrath of God or the like.

My best friend did this in a game I was watching:

Hard casts Knowledge Exploitation is sifting through opponents deck and sees a mixture of cards. I am over his shoulder looking as well but remaining silent. I do not notice anything really egregious. With a poker face the SOB that is my friend LOL say I choose your Knowledge Exploitation with that I will choose your Bribery. With it I choose your Chancellor of the Spires. Chancellor triggers replay Knowledge Exploitation cast your Rite of Replication targeting Chancellor. I will make a million Chancellor's and with the last one cast Knowledge Exploitation one last time and target your Time Warp.

I should note all the spells came from one single player save for the Knowledge Exploitation.

I told him it was funny but couldn't he have just chose another spell or just wipe the board as he intended. did he have to be "that guy" his reply was "hey he put it in the deck its not my fault he had a Knowledge Exploitation Ultimatum in his deck" I said fair enough.

So having these all in one deck is unwise.
Knowledge Exploitation
Bribery
Rite of Replication
Chancellor of the Spires
Time Warp

Has anyone else run into something like this? if so stories please.

Last edited by Platinum_Emperion on 2012-Jan-30 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Perilous Deck Construction
AgePosted: 2012-Jan-29 7:56 am 

Kinda..... in a game I was playing, it was me (Omnath), Zedruu, Kiki-Jiki, and some other guy who's deck I forgot but I know it had blue in it. Anyway, Zedruu gets Mindslavered by Kiki, and gives up his Chancellor of the Spires. My turn comes around, I pull off an awesome combo with Myojin of Life's Web, Praetor's Counsel, and Survival of the Fittest, that pretty much gets my whole creature base onto the field, and I still had an Asceticism and plenty of mana, so I wasn't too worried. However, the brain-dead other guy comes in next turn with a Tunnel Vision on Zedruu. I see one of the milled cards being Time Stretch and I scoop right there.

"The world would not be near the same if people like you and me didn't come up with ideas that seemed stupid at first and then went through with them"- one of my epic friends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-29 12:56 pm 

Also, I try not to run Bribery since its kinda a dick move (and I can't use it in multiple decks cause I only have one and it is NOT cheap)

"The world would not be near the same if people like you and me didn't come up with ideas that seemed stupid at first and then went through with them"- one of my epic friends.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-29 10:45 pm 

Platinum_Emperion wrote:

Hard casts Knowledge Exploitation is sifting through opponents deck and sees a mixture of cards. I am over his shoulder looking as well but remaining silent. I do not notice anything really egregious. With a poker face the SOB that is my friend LOL say I choose your Bribery. With it I choose your Chancellor of the Spires. Chancellor triggers replay Knowledge Exploitation cast your Rite of Replication targeting Chancellor. I will make a million Chancellor's and with the last one cast Knowledge Exploitation one last time and target your Time Warp.

I should note all the spells came from one single player save for the Knowledge Exploitation.

I hate to be that guy, but, Chancellor of the Spires cannot copy your own knowledge exploitation. It has to copy an opponent's Knowledge Exploitation. I'm assuming that's what he did, but you said that all the cards BUT knowledge exploitation were in the opponent's deck...

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-30 12:51 am 

Sinis wrote:
Platinum_Emperion wrote:

I hate to be that guy, but, Chancellor of the Spires cannot copy your own knowledge exploitation. It has to copy an opponent's Knowledge Exploitation. I'm assuming that's what he did, but you said that all the cards BUT knowledge exploitation were in the opponent's deck...

Thanks, I totally spaced a step I will correct it. The guy had Knowledge Exploitation in his library as well that was the target with his Orginal exploitation.

:facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-30 3:39 am 

Platinum_Emperion wrote:
Thanks, I totally spaced a step I will correct it. The guy had Knowledge Exploitation in his library as well that was the target with his Orginal exploitation.

As I thought :)

I usually call Knowledge Exploitation "the 'sploitz" because it's a lot like cheating. Chancellor of the spires just makes it so much worse.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-30 1:48 pm 

Platinum_Emperion wrote:
The guy had Knowledge Exploitation in his library as well that was the target with his Orginal exploitation. [/b]

Ok, THAT's a dick move.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-31 1:02 pm 

Wow, this thread is pretty hilarious, because I had a similar situation, wherein I am playing Wrexial and one of my opponents is playing Grixis. More or less the same end result - the Grixis player wound up using a combination of Chancellor Sphinx, Knowledge Exploitation and Rite of Replication - most of wich were MY CARDS, and were in my Graveyard or Library, to make infinite Chancellor Sphinxes.

Thankfully, our group gets pretty knee-jerky towards any and all Time Walk effects, so there was not even a single Time Warp effect amongst all the players, so he had no way to seal his victory that turn. I was sitting on a hand with at least two Damnation variants and two tutors, so I just let him go off with his infinite Sphinxes, and then blew them all up. But it was a fairly epic almost-win, using my own cards against me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 6:48 am 

playing a game where an opponent had managed to RoR his channcellor from another GY, thankfully I had the a wrath and there was no hasting up the board for him. So he had to watch his army get damnationed. The rest of my turn was lilliana vess (with doubling season in play) and instantly ultimating to get the channcellor back along with some other non important creatures, with RoR for my own army to add insult the doubling season gave me 2 channcellors each time, other spells in GY that were of relevance were insurrection, vindicate and lava axe.

needless to say everyone scooped.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-05 12:28 pm 

Platinum_Emperion wrote:
These are all in my Thada deck............. good thing I run Notorious Throng as my extra turn card. :mrgreen:

In fact, this same situation almost happened a couple days ago.......... however, he didn't target my KE with his, and when he grabbed my Bribery, he decided to use it on an Omnath player's Ulamog. Irony of irony, I used my own Chancellor of the Spires to copy his Exploitation and upon learning he had no RoR, I stole HIS Bribery and got Omnath's Duplicant with it. 8)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-13 10:56 pm 

We were playing a 9 player (3 teams) emperor EDH game at the LGS. Turn three one of my allies uses Telemin Performance on his opponent (Jhoira) and the first card flipped was a Pestermite. Turn four he casts bribery on him and finds Kiki-Jiki. Too bad he could only attack the one player instead of just killing their Emperor right there. Killed with his own lame combo on turn four. Serves him right.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-14 3:36 am 

Hit some one with Wrexial
Grab their demonic tutor
grab my own ROR
my next turn:
ROR kicked on their sun titan
getting back five lands that I had discarded, use the lands for memory plunder on the third players Insurrection

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-14 6:57 am 

God I love Wrexial.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-14 8:38 am 

A few weeks ago I watched a Teneb player reanimate a Mindclaw Shaman from the graveyard of a Riku player, use it to cast the Rite of Replication in her hand, kick it with his own extra mana, targeting the Mindclaw Shaman, and then cast pretty much every other card in her hand (including Insurrection).

The Riku player was pissed, but I kind of enjoyed watching a kicked RoR and an Insurrection go off under the control of a player who wasn't even in either of those colors.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-14 9:35 am 

There's always a way to turn your deck against you no matter how humble. I learned this playing pauper 100 singleton against powered decks. They always steal the Darksteel Ingot or the Boros Garrison etc.

Offline Profile