Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Dec-16 1:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Using cards against their owners 101 - Funny
AgePosted: 2016-Jul-16 7:39 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
But you mean play, intreped. Flash lets you 'play' them. I learned that distinction here on this forum actually when someone said they played Dryad Arbor in combat.

I'm pretty sure you learned wrong. Dryad Arbor can only be played when the stack is empty and it's your main phase and you haven't already played your limit for lands for the turn. Yes, Teferi gives it flash, which means it can be found with Mystical Teachings, but the rules for playing a land don't actually change when that land has flash.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-17 12:07 am 

intreped wrote:
Sovarius wrote:
But you mean play, intreped. Flash lets you 'play' them. I learned that distinction here on this forum actually when someone said they played Dryad Arbor in combat.

I'm pretty sure you learned wrong. Dryad Arbor can only be played when the stack is empty and it's your main phase and you haven't already played your limit for lands for the turn. Yes, Teferi gives it flash, which means it can be found with Mystical Teachings, but the rules for playing a land don't actually change when that land has flash.

He might have been talking about Flash, you know...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-17 3:50 am 

No, the ability.

Gatherer wrote:
5/1/2007: If a Dryad Arbor gains flash, or you have the ability to play Dryad Arbor as though it had flash (due to Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir or Scout's Warning, for example), you can ignore the normal timing rules for playing a land, but not any other restrictions. You can't play Dryad Arbor during another player's turn, and you can't play Dryad Arbor if it's your turn and you've already played a land.

This would let you play it during your combat.

edit: And on a related note
The weekly commander tournament i play in i was playing 5 color control, against a Starke janky chaos deck, and against Narset turns/combat. I played Arcane Laboratory with some good counterspells backup. Starke and Narset set up a couple rocks and such and i played Elspeth, Sun's Champion and started ticking her up. Starke then played Possibility Storm thinking 'lol chaos' and Narset asked him what the hell he was doing, and didn't have a counterspell. So we really sat there for a bit while i made more mans and no one could do anything. Narset player basically told the Starke player a couple times that he was an idiot and then Starke player quit, but i had too many counterspells for Narset to get around Arcane Lab.
I think that counts? I used Possibility Storm, in a way. I play the combo in Mishra but not in 5cc.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-17 12:05 am 

intreped wrote:
Nigerian Prince wrote:
I flash in Unspeakable Symbol (Thanks Teferi!)

You know Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir only lets you cast creatures at instant speed, right?

Correctamente!

Must have been Leyline of Anticipation then, that's also in the deck.

A lot less proud of my play last weekend, I blame it on some bad blood from the previous games.

5 player game with Krenko, Xenagos, planeswalker Teferi, and New Niv Miz. I play Sydri, Galvanic genius, and have a Grand Architect, Solemn Simulacrum, Memnarch, Spellskite and some random artifact creatures I don't remember right away. The game is about ten turns in when I casted Memnarch, he's been lying around not doing anything. I'm using all my resources to keep Krenko from blowing us all away, so are the other guys. Right after I spend my last mana keeping Purphoros of the field, the Niv Miz player casts Curse of the Swine, targeting ALL of my creatures...

I'm baffled for a second, then spend life to change all of the targets to Spellskite (that doesn't say 'with a single target', he forgot about that) and ask him WTF? "I just hate Memnarch" is his reply. Memnarch hasn't stolen anything all game, we're all battling to keep Krenko from going infinite, and still he chooses to exile all of my creatures. All of them, not just Memnarch. Well I guess a point can be made that you go all out on X-spells if you can, but still, I felt pretty backstabbed.

Anyway, I childishly vow swift retalliation, and next turn I start Memnarching... I start with Niv Miz's
Illusionist's Bracers, equip Memnarch, steel Krenko's Sculpting Steel (that was a copy of the Braces), equip Memnarch, and use Grand Architect to generate lots of mana. In two turns, I stole everything Niv Mizzet has. Artifacts first, creatures next, and finally all of his lands.

I die along with the rest on Krenko's next turn, but screw it, I've never managed to steal every permanent a player has, his equipment really worked out well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-20 9:02 am 

Nigerian Prince wrote:
intreped wrote:
Nigerian Prince wrote:
I flash in Unspeakable Symbol (Thanks Teferi!)

You know Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir only lets you cast creatures at instant speed, right?

Correctamente!

Must have been Leyline of Anticipation then, that's also in the deck.

A lot less proud of my play last weekend, I blame it on some bad blood from the previous games.

5 player game with Krenko, Xenagos, planeswalker Teferi, and New Niv Miz. I play Sydri, Galvanic genius, and have a Grand Architect, Solemn Simulacrum, Memnarch, Spellskite and some random artifact creatures I don't remember right away. The game is about ten turns in when I casted Memnarch, he's been lying around not doing anything. I'm using all my resources to keep Krenko from blowing us all away, so are the other guys. Right after I spend my last mana keeping Purphoros of the field, the Niv Miz player casts Curse of the Swine, targeting ALL of my creatures...

I'm baffled for a second, then spend life to change all of the targets to Spellskite (that doesn't say 'with a single target', he forgot about that) and ask him WTF? "I just hate Memnarch" is his reply. Memnarch hasn't stolen anything all game, we're all battling to keep Krenko from going infinite, and still he chooses to exile all of my creatures. All of them, not just Memnarch. Well I guess a point can be made that you go all out on X-spells if you can, but still, I felt pretty backstabbed.

Anyway, I childishly vow swift retalliation, and next turn I start Memnarching... I start with Niv Miz's
Illusionist's Bracers, equip Memnarch, steel Krenko's Sculpting Steel (that was a copy of the Braces), equip Memnarch, and use Grand Architect to generate lots of mana. In two turns, I stole everything Niv Mizzet has. Artifacts first, creatures next, and finally all of his lands.

I die along with the rest on Krenko's next turn, but screw it, I've never managed to steal every permanent a player has, his equipment really worked out well.

If in doubt exact perfect revenge, exactly what I would have done. Love it :mrgreen:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-20 8:17 pm 

Nigerian Prince wrote:
Spellskite ... Curse of the Swine, targeting ALL of my creatures...

I'm baffled for a second, then spend life to change all of the targets to Spellskite (that doesn't say 'with a single target', he forgot about that)

Sadly, you can't save Memnarch that way.
Spellskite can change a target to itself, even if the spell has multiple targets, that's correct - But all targets must be legal after the change or else they stay unchanged.
Curse of the Swine says it targets X creatures, with Spellskite being one of those. It can't target a single creature multiple times, because there's only one instance of "target" in the text.
Changing Memnarch to Spellskite would mean targeting Skite twice - which is not possible. The ability can be activated, but does nothing on resolution.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-21 9:24 pm 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Nigerian Prince wrote:
Spellskite ... Curse of the Swine, targeting ALL of my creatures...

I'm baffled for a second, then spend life to change all of the targets to Spellskite (that doesn't say 'with a single target', he forgot about that)

Sadly, you can't save Memnarch that way.
Spellskite can change a target to itself, even if the spell has multiple targets, that's correct - But all targets must be legal after the change or else they stay unchanged.
Curse of the Swine says it targets X creatures, with Spellskite being one of those. It can't target a single creature multiple times, because there's only one instance of "target" in the text.
Changing Memnarch to Spellskite would mean targeting Skite twice - which is not possible. The ability can be activated, but does nothing on resolution.

Didn't know that, thanks for explaining.

I assumed that it worked, because Spellskite was a legal target, and the text doesn't say 'another target' like on Incremental Growth or something.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-25 7:42 am 

Opponent playing Wort, the Raidmother: "Avenger of Zendikar, Second Harvest conspired, Reverberate conspired. I have 320 plant tokens."

Me: "Massacre Wurm. You take 640 damage."

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-25 8:15 am 

Malekoda wrote:
Opponent playing Wort, the Raidmother: "Avenger of Zendikar, Second Harvest conspired, Reverberate conspired. I have 320 plant tokens."

Me: "Massacre Wurm. You take 640 damage."

Crop Rotation, Conspired?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-25 6:46 pm 

Epsilon wrote:
Crop Rotation, Conspired?

"Finding Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse..."

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-22 1:13 am 

Six player game generals aren't overly relevant. Life totals are all in the mid teens with the exception of the mono red Ashling that was over 200 thanks to a Chandra's Ignition on a large life linker. I had a board state that would be able to start killing everyone else next turn but it would still take a while to get that Ashling player down.

Thankfully(?) mono green spike had a shaman of the biorhythm in play that he was threatening to use on his turn. As the control deck at the table I had the opportunity to stop him but I saw a better line of play and let him untap with it. He drops a few creatures and tokens into play (Nykthos/Cradle, Deserted Temple, untap both with Garruk, yadda yadda...) and then activates the shaman... "In response, Overloaded Rift" ...Thunderous laughter ensues and one player managed to sprout swarm a creature in after the bounce to go to 1 but the rest of the table just died.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-06 3:24 pm 

Game report:
Late stages of a 4 player game on MTGO. One player had built up an absurd amount of life with thier trostani deck (I'm talking rhox faithmender, serra avatar, wall of reverence absurd). They also had a commanding board presence so they put felidar soverign into play and immediately put it under oblivion ring. They felt the game was sealed since my wrath effect to clear the board would end up leaving felidar in play for the win.

The only thing keeping us alive was a pair of maze of ith and a mytifying maze.

Myself and the other two players spend a bit of time trying to work out how to deal with the problem presented by the felidar player. No-one seemed to have the right combination of removal to get rid of the o-ring and soverign inside the turn cycle. A couple turn cycles passed and a plan began to form in my mind, so I sat waiting to strike.

The player to Trostani's left went for the disenchant on O-ring, leaving soverign exposed, evidently P3 had found something. Shift to P3 who throws a sorcery kill spell at it, I move in and dissipate the kill spell. The other two look to me confused (through their computers):
"why would you do that?"
"He probably just wants to get the game finished, it's been a long one"
I give no reply. P3 ends their turn and I respond by tapping my brain in a jar, place the sixth counter and reveal shifting loyalties. The soverign is mine and with 43 life, I take the game.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-16 1:01 pm 

Last night I took out my Selvala2 deck and had the most hilarious loss in some time. The fame got off to a relatively slow start for me, but started to ramp up on T4 after the Rakdos player cast Mana Flare. I cast Nylea, God of the Hunt, and Polukranos, the World Eater, and sacked Polukranos to Life's Legacy. Then the Heartless Hidegetsu player cast Possibility Storm. It ended up doing well for me T5, netting me a Wirewood Symbiote, Chamelion Collossus, and Karametra's Acolyte.

On my T6 I cast a one drop creature, which turned into Hero's Bane. I then tapped Selvala for 6 (Nylea), doubled Hero's Bane, untapped with Symbiote, tapped for 8, doubled twice, untapped with Wirewood Lodge, tapped for 32, doubled eight times, tapped Karametra's Acolyte for 7, and doubled 2 more times, leaving me with a 32,768/32,768 Trampling Hero's Bane. Since it was still summoning sick, I passed turn. The only interesting thing that happened as the board went around was Heartless Hidegetsu casting an enchantment, and turning up Dictate of the Twin Gods.

On my T7 I cast a sorcery, hoping for Overwhelming Stampede, and got Fungal Sproutinginstead, creating 32,768 1/1 Saprolings. Then I attacked Hidegetsu for 65,536 trample damage, because Possibility Storm was annoying me. This was a mistake, as it turned out.

After I passed Rakdos dropped Deadly Tempest, killing me very, very dead.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-May-11 2:35 pm 

I had just put together my Jundifacts deck, built with +1/+1 counters and modular in mind. My friend had never played against it before and I wasn't about to tell him what it was all about. But boy did he find out.

Turn 1 I dropped Hardened Scales. Turn 2 I was able to get out Winding Constrictor. So I was thinking I was off to a pretty good start.

Well, on his turn 2, he casts Darksteel Mutation on my constrictor. I was pretty bummed out... "Lemme read that" I say, as I grab for it. That's when I realized he had just given me an indestructible artifact creature.

It all went downhill from there for him. I used the rest of our short match focusing all the counters onto him lol. He wasn't able to get out from under a progressively growing bug. Beat him right to death with his own card he so graciously gave me. By the end of it he had like 24 counters with an Akroma's Memorial out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jul-05 2:53 am 

So I uh, recently did some pretty dirty stuff against a Nekusar, the Mindrazer deck- at the Nekusar pilot's birthday party no less (shaaaaame.) That said, Nekusar decks are torture devices, and I take no pity in facerolling as hard as possible with those sort of "seimo-kill-from-nowhere" specific generals.

Faerie Artisans gave me a copy of Nekusar, which he had thought to use to increase how quickly Nekusar would grind me out. During my upkeep I cast Comeuppance, drew 3, cracked a Conch Horn to remove his Nekusar.

Later in the game, he played Nekusar again, with the Artisans littering the field... So, after recieving my copy of the Nekusar, and turn being passed, I cast Oblation on his Nekusar to deal damage to him, get his commander tax to +8, and put him a particularly precarious lifetotal wherein he needed the third player to not be brave enough to alpha strike him (this player had been locked onto me for most of the game.)

After both players went for my lifetotal, and we had all ground down into less than 15 life scenarios, I got to -1 Venser, the Sojourner and blow them both out of the water (since both players were counting on blockers.)

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next