Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Nov-19 1:09 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121
 Post subject: Re: Cool Plays Thread
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-23 4:54 am 

This happened a few weeks ago. I'm playing a Phenax, God of Deception deck with Phenax in play and cast Tree of Perdition. Somehow the tree survives a trip around the table. I pass with the it untapped.

The player to my left is playing Atraxa and has Ajani Steadfast in play with five counters. He has one other creature that's been forced to attack a Gideon, Battle-forged this turn, and plays a Deepglow Skate doubling Ajani's counters.

He ultimates Ajani to gain near-total damage prevention; in response I use the Tree of Perdition to keep his life at a manageable 13 as well as pump my Tree's toughness to the moon.

The player to the left of my Ajani opponent, however, has a response - he casts Ovinize on the tree, bringing the Ajani player's life to 1 instead of 13. :D

The Ovinize guy then takes him out of the game next turn with a single attacker, since the Deepglow Skate came in tapped due to a Thalia, Heretic Cathar elsewhere on the battelfield.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-11 5:15 pm 

Paradoxical Outcome is one of my favorite new cards...

Playing my Ephara deck earlier tonight in a four player planechase EDH game. We're on the plane that copies every instant and sorcery cast. Saskia player casts a Reclamation Sage and targets my Leyline of Anticipation to destroy it. In response, I cast the outcome. The copy bounces Sol Ring, Top, Mox Opal and an Aether Vial with no counters on it. Draw 4 cards then flash it all in again to bounce again with the original copy as well as the leyline for another 4 (leaving the Vial in play). Next turn recast everything and didn't even need to discard...

Few turns later I get to snapcaster it back for even more ridiculous draw while saving my board.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 8:04 am 

Epsilon wrote:
flash it all in again to bounce again with the original copy

I don't mean to rain on your parade but this doesn't work. When you cast the original spell you had to select targets as it was put on the stack. Let's for arguments sake call them A, B, C, D and E. When the ability of Izzet Steam Maze copies the spell, and you target A, B, C & D then return them to your hand, even if you flash them back into play, they are new objects F, G, H and I, so the original can only continue targeting E. If you targeted the same 4 permanents with both, then the second one would be countered on resolution for having no legal targets

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 4:20 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
flash it all in again to bounce again with the original copy

I don't mean to rain on your parade but this doesn't work. When you cast the original spell you had to select targets as it was put on the stack. Let's for arguments sake call them A, B, C, D and E. When the ability of Izzet Steam Maze copies the spell, and you target A, B, C & D then return them to your hand, even if you flash them back into play, they are new objects F, G, H and I, so the original can only continue targeting E. If you targeted the same 4 permanents with both, then the second one would be countered on resolution for having no legal targets

Doh. For some reason I didn't think it targeted. Still would have been pretty epic just drew a few extra cards than I should and had to waste time recasting stuff that I didn't need to the following turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-29 6:15 pm 

There's an obnoxious deck 'round here that abuses Deadeye Navigator in lots of ways, and protects it quite well. He was doing his shit last Saturday again, untill the new player at the table asked me "Hey, my Containment Priest that's been lying here since turn two, doesn't that interact with this bouncing and returning?" ... None of us ever noticed, CP is played frequently, but somehow every long time player completely missed the fact that it shuts down DEN completely, and the newbie had to remind us to RTFC :-D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-18 12:05 am 

Playing an extremely casual 4-way: Gonti (me), Vish Kal, Xenagos & Ashling (the Extinguisher).

Xenagos did nothing all game so it was essentially a 3 man & a punchbag. Ashling is slowly building up her board until she has pretty much everything she needs to win including a Geth chipping away at my yard.

I manage to kill the Geth and reanimate it though I have Dark Mike in play so if the Geth dies it goes right back to Ashling with Mikaeus's Undying-granting ability. The only issue is that she has next to nothing in her graveyard for Geth to reanimate, no big juicy 6cc monsters that would start the ball rolling.

I grab a Lightning Greaves which mills a land and a Phage (don't want that!) and all that's left are two 1/1s for B that net me spells that I can't get either. She just keeps dropping monsters, stealing things from graveyards and chipping away slowly at everyone. I need to find a way to clear the table without giving Geth back to her and all I have is a Black Zenith, which is useless.

And Vish Kal is starting to build up his board too, so between various swampwalkers and fliers, I'm getting squeezed.

Then Xenagos, after his usual Land-go turn, says to Ashling "What you need is a Sheoldred to get through on swampwalk and break up their boards. You'll eventually get Geth back and you'll be able to plunder their 'yards." To which Ashling replies:

"Actually, funny you should say that...!" and drops Sheoldred, she attacks, passes the turn and looks up to see 3 faces smiling back at her.

"What?"

"Oh nothing, nothing!"

I untap, Gonti flickers through my yard thanks to Sheoldred/Mikaeus and I target Vish Kal before quickly passing the turn.

Vish Kal loses a vampire, replaces it and passes the turn. Everyone is cracking up because Ashling hasn't seen it yet.

Xenagos plays a land and says "Everybody ready? GO!"

Ashling is truely perplexed and starting to get a little peeved, untaps and goes to draw a card. "Don't forget the Sheoldred trigger."

She smiles and goes to her graveyard and her hand is halfway there when she realises she's probably toast. Sure enough, the only creature or artifact remaining in her graveyard was Phage the Untouchable and she dies to her own trigger with much amusement.

Gisa & Geralf Zombie Horde
Atraxa Superfriends
New-zilek Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Norin Goblins
Marath Legends
Sidisi MBC

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-18 11:01 pm 

Did she switch the card out of the deck, after that? (that would be a pity, personally I love this kind of "high-risk, high-reward" cards)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-18 11:44 pm 

lumination wrote:
Did she switch the card out of the deck, after that? (that would be a pity, personally I love this kind of "high-risk, high-reward" cards)

Nope, it's been there for a while and we've generally managed to kill it or die to it or exile it before situations like this arose. This happening is probably half the reason she plays it, to be honest.

Atraxa Superfriends
Norin Goblins
Marath Legends
Sidisi MBC

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-19 2:41 pm 

Had a game a few weeks back with myself playing Kambal vs Brago and a Sultai zombie deck.

Brago had started getting out of hand and was flickering everything for value and countering everything we had tried to play that might threaten him. I made an attempt to remove Brago when he swung at me only to take another counterspell. He blinks his board with a Panharmonicon out to make things even worse for us... One of his blink targets happens to be Jace's Mindseeker, first trigger hits nothing. Second trigger hits Beacon of Immortality which he gladly cast as I'd been draining him pretty badly all game from Kambal triggers. At which point I respond with False Cure and ask if he's got another counterspell in hand. He tried to dig for one with things he had in play but luckily couldn't find one and couldn't believe that he lost the game from such a commanding position.

The turn goes to the zombie player who happens to have a doubling season and a few zombies in play vs my completely empty board, he creates a ton more zombie tokens, hits me with what he could down to ~50 ish life (Kambal's life gain adds up) and passes the turn. Yet another perfect spell off the top as I draw and cast a Blinding Angel. Zombies hits me for a ton taking me down to ~10 only to have me stabilize with the Blinding Angel. A few turns goes by and neither of us draw a board wipe/spot removal or alternate win con. I then pull a pair of boots and give the angel hexproof and he concedes defeat since he can't deal with my angel.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-26 1:01 am 

First time I hit Doubling Season into Tamiyo, Field Researcher today. Yikes!

My opponent was playing one-shot Werewolves and sculpting a play to drop Ulrich into Xenagos with Ascetism on the board and decided not to kill the Doubling Season right away. I mean, what's the worst that could happen, right?

I finished my turn with a million Jaces, 2 million illusionary drakes, 60 vampires, and Ajani primed to give everyone +10 loyalty & 10 +1/+1 counters the following turn on top of some other random PWs. I can check that off my bucket list now!

Atraxa Superfriends
Norin Goblins
Marath Legends
Sidisi MBC

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121