Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2017-Mar-30 12:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121
 Post subject: Re: Cool Plays Thread
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-23 4:54 am 

This happened a few weeks ago. I'm playing a Phenax, God of Deception deck with Phenax in play and cast Tree of Perdition. Somehow the tree survives a trip around the table. I pass with the it untapped.

The player to my left is playing Atraxa and has Ajani Steadfast in play with five counters. He has one other creature that's been forced to attack a Gideon, Battle-forged this turn, and plays a Deepglow Skate doubling Ajani's counters.

He ultimates Ajani to gain near-total damage prevention; in response I use the Tree of Perdition to keep his life at a manageable 13 as well as pump my Tree's toughness to the moon.

The player to the left of my Ajani opponent, however, has a response - he casts Ovinize on the tree, bringing the Ajani player's life to 1 instead of 13. :D

The Ovinize guy then takes him out of the game next turn with a single attacker, since the Deepglow Skate came in tapped due to a Thalia, Heretic Cathar elsewhere on the battelfield.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-11 5:15 pm 

Paradoxical Outcome is one of my favorite new cards...

Playing my Ephara deck earlier tonight in a four player planechase EDH game. We're on the plane that copies every instant and sorcery cast. Saskia player casts a Reclamation Sage and targets my Leyline of Anticipation to destroy it. In response, I cast the outcome. The copy bounces Sol Ring, Top, Mox Opal and an Aether Vial with no counters on it. Draw 4 cards then flash it all in again to bounce again with the original copy as well as the leyline for another 4 (leaving the Vial in play). Next turn recast everything and didn't even need to discard...

Few turns later I get to snapcaster it back for even more ridiculous draw while saving my board.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 8:04 am 

Epsilon wrote:
flash it all in again to bounce again with the original copy

I don't mean to rain on your parade but this doesn't work. When you cast the original spell you had to select targets as it was put on the stack. Let's for arguments sake call them A, B, C, D and E. When the ability of Izzet Steam Maze copies the spell, and you target A, B, C & D then return them to your hand, even if you flash them back into play, they are new objects F, G, H and I, so the original can only continue targeting E. If you targeted the same 4 permanents with both, then the second one would be countered on resolution for having no legal targets

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-16 4:20 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
flash it all in again to bounce again with the original copy

I don't mean to rain on your parade but this doesn't work. When you cast the original spell you had to select targets as it was put on the stack. Let's for arguments sake call them A, B, C, D and E. When the ability of Izzet Steam Maze copies the spell, and you target A, B, C & D then return them to your hand, even if you flash them back into play, they are new objects F, G, H and I, so the original can only continue targeting E. If you targeted the same 4 permanents with both, then the second one would be countered on resolution for having no legal targets

Doh. For some reason I didn't think it targeted. Still would have been pretty epic just drew a few extra cards than I should and had to waste time recasting stuff that I didn't need to the following turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-29 6:15 pm 

There's an obnoxious deck 'round here that abuses Deadeye Navigator in lots of ways, and protects it quite well. He was doing his shit last Saturday again, untill the new player at the table asked me "Hey, my Containment Priest that's been lying here since turn two, doesn't that interact with this bouncing and returning?" ... None of us ever noticed, CP is played frequently, but somehow every long time player completely missed the fact that it shuts down DEN completely, and the newbie had to remind us to RTFC :-D

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121