Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Sep-23 3:45 am

Post subject: Was there an april 2018 ban Im missing?
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-19 1:09 pm 

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/30738118_838968226304004_4029355544773918720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5ad88226ae0001f88e3d9414232d37e8&oe=5B5747E1

A friend sent me this but I cant find the forum for it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Was there an april 2018 ban Im missing?
AgePosted: 2018-Apr-19 1:50 pm 

There has not been an April banned list announcement. Also, that's not how Sheldon "talks" on a forum and especially not in a banned list announcement. You're being trolled.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-19 1:57 pm 

My first impression is that it is definitely fake. 3 reasons:

1. With how often I check these boards, I would probably have seen it.
2. Every post I've seen recently by an RC member regarding Gifts is "no way in hell we're unbanning it".
3. Just googled the official EDH banned list site, the official MTG banned list site, and every possible combination that could hit it. Got squat, although there were several posts about a MTGO banlist change on the same day.
4. The wording of the Selvala part of the announcement is the clearest sign that it's fake. Every single banlist announcement I could find looked nothing like this. There's rarely if ever a second person, there's certainly no first person, and not a single banned list announcement has ever mentioned specific card synergies. There's also a pretty glaring mistake in it too. While Selvala can technically produce 2 mana off an empty board, it costs 1 to tap so it's really a net gain of 1. I highly doubt someone posting in the rules of the format would write something so blatantly and intentionally misleading. And finally, the nail in the coffin, there is literally no explanation as to why it would be banned. It's literally just saying "it's powerful". There are no reasons given as to why any of the things it can do are problematic for the format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-19 3:39 pm 

Sheldon wrote the announcement is coming on monday: https://twitter.com/sheldonmenery/statu ... 00162?s=21

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-19 6:06 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

The banlist announcement has come on the Monday after the prerelease every prerelease since April of 2013.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-19 6:20 pm 

Masterball, in case you weren't aware (an "Egg" rating means you've only just joined) papa_funk is one of the Rules Committee members, so there's your official answer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-19 10:25 pm 

Ok thank you all for your responses. I am one of those terrible humans who plays Cedh and have won multiple LGS tournies with my T3 sylvala deck of which the friend of mine who sent me the link HATES with a burning passion. I will eagerly await the monday announcement on anything that may or may not actually happen. Thank you all again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Apr-20 2:41 am 

masterball wrote:
I am one of those terrible humans who plays Cedh

You're not at all a terrible human for playing Commander in competitive tournaments.

You become a terrible human when you call for the format to changed based on competitive environments (you didn't do this in this post, so you are not a terrible human).

Remember that the spirit of Commander is not competitive, but to have good games and fun. Sure, you want to win, but you don't want to be so oppressive and focused on winning at all costs that you suck the fun out of the game.

Offline Profile