Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 9:34 am

Post subject: Saffi Eriksdotter: Blinky Beats
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-02 9:17 am 

This is my current version of a Saffi deck. I found a couple other decklists on the site for Saffi, but my version seems less combo-y and more "good stuff" beats with a combo option. The deck was inspired by Aaron Forsythe's decklist posted at Starcitygames: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/multiplayer/16955_You_Lika_The_Juice_Elder_Dragon_Forsythe.html. Compared with mine, Aaron's version focused alot more on blinking lots of creatures lots of times.

This post will continue to be updated so that the decklist remains current.

Saffi Eriksdotter

Artifact ( 10 )
Altar of Dementia
Duplicant
Erratic Portal
Lightning Greaves
Mind's Eye
Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Sword of Light and Shadow
Triskelion
Umezawa's Jitte

Creature ( 28 )
Adarkar Valkyrie
Battlegrace Angel
Chameleon Colossus
Cloudgoat Ranger
Copperhoof Vorrac
Deadwood Treefolk
Eternal Dragon
Eternal Witness
Forgotten Ancient
Galepowder Mage
Indrik Stomphowler
Juniper Order Ranger
Karmic Guide
Loxodon Hierarch
Mother of Runes
Phantom Nishoba
Reveillark
Seht's Tiger
Solemn Simulacrum
Spike Feeder
Spike Weaver
Stonecloaker
Stonehewer Giant
Vigor
Wall of Roots
Whitemane Lion
Woodfall Primus
Yavimaya Elder

Enchantment ( 6 )
Island Sanctuary
Luminarch Ascension
Parallax Wave
Pattern of Rebirth
Privileged Position
Sylvan Library

Instant ( 8 )
Condemn
Eladamri's Call
Enlightened Tutor
Fracturing Gust
Path to Exile
Summoning Trap
Swords to Plowshares
Worldly Tutor

Sorcery ( 8 )
Akroma's Vengeance
Austere Command
Harmonize
Hymn of Rebirth
Life from the Loam
Natural Order
Primal Command
Regrowth

Land ( 39: 12 green, 10 white, 13 dual, 4 colorless )
Forest
Forest
Forest
Forest
Gaea's Cradle
Llanowar Reborn
Mosswort Bridge
Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
Pendelhaven
Slippery Karst
Tranquil Thicket
Treetop Village
Drifting Meadow
Eiganjo Castle
Flagstones of Trokair
Forbidding Watchtower
Plains
Plains
Plains
Plains
Plains
Secluded Steppe
Arctic Flats
Brushland
Grasslands
Horizon Canopy
Krosan Verge
Saltcrusted Steppe
Savannah
Selesnya Sanctuary
Sungrass Prairie
Sunpetal Grove
Temple Garden
Windswept Heath
Wooded Bastion
Kor Haven
Strip Mine
Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
Yavimaya Hollow

Some cards I'd potentially like to add (but I don't have them):
Mobilization
Rustic Clachan
Kjeldoran Outpost
Survival of the Fittest
Winding Canyons

Altar of Dementia, if it sticks, usually wins the game. Juniper Order Ranger + any persist creature, and that's infinite mill. Altar+Reveillark+Saffi, infinite mill. I got a Blasting Station, but I decided that including a card that was only good if I had two other cards was probably a poor choice in a 100 card singleton deck. The deck seems fairly consistent so far; it usually wins by just playing better cards than most of the people in my group and beating them down (all the while gaining life and being difficult to remove).

What are the weak cards in this thing? What should come out (if anything) for the cards that I'm still trying to get?

I'd really like some feedback on this! Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Kazun on 2010-Jan-14 12:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-02 9:45 am 

If your group has both Sharuum and Zur, then Fracturing Gust should be in, no questions asked.

I think you're underrating Stonecloaker. The GY hate attached to saving a creature is a great package deal. I have a few decks I'm trying to find a spot for him in just because of that combination. I would definitely play him over the panther.

If you don't desperately need the first turn acceleration, play Kodama's Reach. I would definitely stick with Hymn - being able to steal stuff from other people's bins is awesome.

Qasali Pridemage should be in here just because you sac him as necessary and he's recurable with Reveillark, maybe over Stomphowler? The bigger body is nice, admittedly. It's a judgment call.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-03 8:53 am 

Thanks for the feedback, Artos. I've made some revisions:

-Glorious Anthem
-Gaea's Anthem
-Phantom Nantuko
-Fleetfoot Panther
-Nature's Lore
-Essence Warden
-Wispmare
-2x Plains

+Eternal Witness
+Solemn Simulacrum
+Yavimaya Elder
+Karmic Guide
+Stonecloaker
+Spike Weaver
+Akroma's Vengeance
+Gaea's Blessing
+Sungrass Prairie (down to 37 land)

Some of these are cards I just got in the mail. Still trying to get a Kodama's Reach, Fracturing Gust, Blasting Station.

I've decided to stick with Stomphowler over Pridemage for now. I have less GY recursion than I do "blink" effects; I think I get more mileage out of the 'comes-into-play' than I do the '1,sac:'. The synergy the Pridemage has with Reveillark is nice, but I have found that I am never lacking for Rev. targets. (And the Stomphowler has a way cooler name, all else the same. ;))

I dropped the Anthems because all they did was make people do their combat math differently; they have literally never helped me win a game. The Nantuko was an underwhelming creature in the deck. Great for defense, but most of the time I'm getting attacked it's by flying creatures, shadow creatures, fear creatures, or pro-green/white creatures, in which case he's not really a good defender at all. The Panther came out for Stonecloaker. I agree with your comments here, Artos. I also realized I can't bounce Simulacrum, Duplicant, or Triskelion with the Panther since he specifies that the creature must be G or W. Nature's Lore came out because I don't find myself needing the fixing or the acceleration that much. It's presence in the deck is leftover from the deck's beginnings, when it didn't have as solid a manabase. Essence Warden usually gains me about 6-8 life before someone eats its face. In comparison to the power level of some of the cards I wanted to include, it was lacking. I also like to shy away from one-drops, as those impulsive, aggro players tend to rush at the player who does something first :P. The Wispmare decision was agonizing, and I'm still not certain if it was the right thing to cut. We'll see!

PS: Last night I played against my friend's newly constructed U/W Sygg deck (which, granted, is not very strong). I swear I did 20 damage with Triskelion that game. Sac Saffi, targeting Triskelion. He shoots for two, then kills himself to come back in and shoot for three more. Spike Weaver shifts counters onto to him for 2 more points. I bounce him with Whitemane Lion, and then later with Stonecloaker. Karmic Guide, getting Triskelion back <opponent wraths here>. Hymn of Rebirth, targetting Karmic Guide, which gets Triskelion back. To summarize: awesome!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-03 9:51 am 

Aura Shards to avoid killing your own enchantments and artifacts?
Cauldron of Souls to give persist synergy with the blinks?
Breath of Life for reanimation?

The G/W colors are fairly limiting for what you can actually put into this deck.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-03 11:31 am 

Aura Shards is pretty nice. I had missed that one. At one point, I did have Cauldron of Souls in the deck. I don't remember when or why it came out, but I could put it back in if a strong enough argument for it was made. And, more importantly, what would come out for it? Or Aura Shards, for that matter?

I was running Breath of Life (well, technically it was Resurrection), but I found that the single target, sorcery speed, only-my-graveyard, one-time recursion just wasn't awesome enough; that slot became Hymn of Rebirth so I could hit any graveyard for one extra mana. I was also contemplating Miraculous Recovery (4W, Instant, return one creature from your GY to play with a +1/+1 counter on it). Again, not sure what I would cut for any of these!

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-06 9:30 am 

So I've been having trouble lately dying to really big, shrouded creatures (namely Uril). Nine times out of ten, this fine gentleman can deal 21 points of general damage in a single swing, and frequently has flying and/or trample. I was contemplating a fog effect or two, but I'm just not sure. Pollen Lullaby seems ok, as I can potentially keep clashing and getting it back. Tangle seems like another good option, as it keeps him tapped down for his next turn (which, in multiplayer, means 3 or more people all get to take potshots at the guy with a 25/25 Uril twice). The same player also packs such fatties as Tornado Elemental, so really good blockers aren't necessarily enough. I may have to put Seht's Tiger back in...

Also, what do people think of Scout's Warning? I picked one up today, and I'm contemplating it. The decklist is pretty tight, though, and I'm having trouble deciding what to cut.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-06 9:47 am 

Seht's Tiger fits your theme and answers the problem, definitely should be the answer. Tangle and Moment's Peace are good options as well if you want good spell based Fogs. You could also run Spore Frog or Spike Weaver - you have more than enough recursion to abuse the hell out of it.

Scout's Warning...meh. I'd rather play Vedalken Orrey.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-06 12:09 pm 

Some changes today:

-Wilt-Leaf Liege
-Troll Ascetic
+Copperhoof Vorrac
+Seht's Tiger

-Gaea's Blessing
-Otherworldly Journey
-Helm of Possession
+Pulse of the Fields
+Privileged Position
+Island Sanctuary

The Liege has come out for the same reasons the Anthems came out. I just found Copperhoof Vorrac, which looks like a ton of fun. What's the best way to get around a huge creature attacking you? Block it with a bigger creature! Seht's Tiger went in for the Ascetic based on the deck's current needs. The Ascetic just seemed like the weakest link.

Gaea's Blessing is only good against one guy in my playgroup, so I took it out to make the deck more robust against more decks. Otherworldly Journey, while awesome, had to go. This is primarily because I'm trying to make the deck a bit more fun to play, and that sometimes means bigger, splashier cards as opposed to strategic, surgical utility. I was very hesitant to take out Helm of Possession, but it seems like most of the time, I'll sac a creature to use it and then someone blows up the new creature or the Helm, and I'm out a creature and a wasted turn.

Pulse of the Fields is to help me recover from particularly nasty all-out-swings that leave me barely clinging to life. It is great in the long game. Privileged Position is a card I'm testing out; I may not need it (especially having taken out Helm of Possession), but we'll see. Island Sanctuary is another card to protect me from absurd attack phases. Hopefully these modifications help. If not, I may actually have to put in some hard fogs.
(Hmm... Isochron Scepter/Tangle...)

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-06 11:02 pm 

I don't know how you or your group feel about infinite loops - but since you're already playing Kitchen Finks + Juniper Order Ranger you could throw in Blasting Station and you can instantly wipe the board / other player's life totals.

EDIT: Just realized you had already mentioned Blasting Station.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-07 5:18 am 

Can I suggest

Survival of the Fittest, I try to fit it in most Green decks and with Reveillark and Eternal Witness it can be savage, same goes for Genesis should you get your hands on one.

Defense of the Heart as it fetches both JOR + Persist creature or <insert other pair of broken creatures>, it's also great with eternal witness.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-07 1:51 pm 

My playgroup doesn't mind infinite combos as long as they're not too consistent and are, to some degree, able to be disrupted. When someone manages to win with one on a rare occasion, it makes for a memorable game.

I had Defense of the Heart in the deck, but cut it at one point. I think at the time I was 1v1ing alot more, but these days I seem to only play with 3 or more opponents, so it may make it back in. We'll see how well Privileged Position works for me; it may get replaced.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-10 5:55 pm 

This deck just took an absolute beating

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... eature/42a

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-16 9:01 am 

Having played the deck quite a bit now, I can honestly say that this change (I assume you're referring to damage no longer going on the stack) won't hurt it very much. It will hurt it slightly more than it will hurt some other decks, but the only instant speed "blinks" that I'm running in the current version of it are Stonecloaker, Whitemane Lion, and Erratic Portal (actually, I guess Parallax Wave counts). That being said, I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually had the opportunity to blink with damage on the stack. Even with the change, I can still declare blockers/respond to blockers, I just won't also be able to sneak my damage in first. If I'm completely missing the point of what you meant, please let me know.

Another thing that could potentially affect me is multiple instances of lifelink no longer stacking; I was thinking about taking Loxodon hammer out for Light/Shadow (which I just got), and now I'm motivated enough to do just that.

One guy in our playgroup that runs Jhoira has started running mass LD... Jokulhaups, Decree of Annihilation, etc. It sucks. Repeated threats of meeting him in the alley and working him over haven't done the trick, and it isn't worth not playing with him, so I'm looking for some LD defense tech. I'm thinking maybe Crucible or Sacred Ground. I like that the Ground doesn't actually get destroyed by the Jokulhaups... but I don't like that it needs to be in play before the LD actually occurs. What are some solutions that other folks have come up with?

I picked up an Eiganjo Castle and a Grasslands, so those will be going in.

I also grabbed a Fracturing Gust, but I'm not sure what should come out for it...

-Loxodon Warhammer
-2x Plains

+Grasslands
+Eiganjo Castle
+Sword of Light and Shadow

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-16 10:02 am 

Sacred Ground, Life from the Loam, and Crucible are pretty much your only options for land recursion, along with the standard green regrowth-type effects. I think that's one of the main reasons LD is so hated.

Your list is pretty tight - I don't know that I'd cut anything there for Fracturing Gust. Especially since you're running a pretty big number of artifacts and enchantments yourself. I was going to say Pursuit of Knowledge, then I realized how awesome it is with Sylvan Library.

EDIT: I realized since you're playing a bunch of blink and CIP creatures you may like Tilling Treefolk and/or Cartographer too, but they're pretty terrible compared to the others.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-16 10:55 am 

life from the loam is in green as well - allows for quicker recovery.

pull from eterninty will get thing out of jhoira's I'm casting this soon zone.

Offline Profile