Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-13 2:33 pm

Post subject: Chuck
AgePosted: 2009-May-28 10:31 am 

Intro:
I just built this one, since no one seems to use Brion Stoutarm as a general, yet everyone in RW uses him in their decks. Obviously, this is because RW by itself may be the weakest color combo in EDH, but I'll try to make it work.

Since Chuck's ability can't hit opposing creatures, you lose card advantage over time. The idea is to play a bit of equipment on recurring guys or tokens, attack or block, then fling them at some point.

General:
Brion Stoutarm

Land:
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
Kher Keep
Ancient Ampitheater
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Springjack Pasture
Plains x15
Mountain x16
(36)

Other Mana:
Mind Stone
Boros Signet
Journeyer's Kite
Forisyian Totem
Spectral Searchlight
Coalition Relic
Solemn Simulacrum
Gilded Lotus
Darksteel Ingot
(9)

(45 mana sources total)

Creatures:
Jiwari, the Earth Aflame
Furystoke Giant
Sundering Titan
Squee, Goblin Nabob
False Prophet
Ashling the Pilgrim
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Karmic Guide
Hamletback Goliath
Firemane Angel
Magus of the Moon
Skarrgan Firebird (jank tech)
Galepowder Mage
Duplicant
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Rakka Mar
Twilight Shepherd
Adarkar Valkyrie
Archon of Justice
Stonehewer Giant
Seht's Tiger
Anger
Spitebellows

Token Producers:
Mobilization
Sacred Mesa
Rise of the Hobgoblins (lol)
Martial Coup
Goblin Assault

Equipment:
Lightning Greaves
Deathrender
Sunforger
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Loxodon Warhammer

Sunforger Stuff:
Fatal Frenzy (lol)
Wild Ricochet
Path to Exile
Grab the Reins (you can entwine it off Sunforger)
Return to Dust
Condemn
Soul's Fire

Other Spells:
Idyllic Tutor
Shattering Spree
Wrath of God
Thousand-Year Elixir
Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Well of Lost Dreams (this is positively bonkers with lifelink)
Insurrection
Vicious Shadows (usual tutor target)
Mind's Eye
Austere Command
Hallowed Burial
Akroma's Vengeance
Farsight Mask (jank tech)
Reflect Damage (metagame choice for Multani and Uril)

Strategy:
I try to stay alive with Chuck's lifelink, until I get something that can make his flings advantageous. Big, flying generals are certainly a problem, such as Karrthus. I usually try not to mess with people with generals like him.

Notes:
A few of the creatures are not the best choices, but they're what I have. I really want a Serra Avatar and Phyrexian Processor in here. Both can be insant kills with Chuck active. The two goblin token cards also seem very weak.

My Decree of Justice is in my Rafiq deck. I might just move it over to this one, or get another copy.

The deck has no graveyard hate, but that shouldn't be a problem with my current metagame. Only one deck around here uses a graveyard strat now, and it's slow. If GY strategies become a problem again, I'll bring in Stonecloaker, Relic of Progenitus, and Tormod's Crypt.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially for any good token producers I may have missed.

Last edited by Bleach on 2009-May-28 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-28 10:40 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Mobilization is a fine token producer and Soldiers get Vigilance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-28 10:42 am 

Mobilization sounds good, I can't believe I forgot that one.

Also, could someone move this topic to Decklists?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-28 8:34 pm 

Phyrexian Processor is another good token producer though you have to be careful how much life you pay.

Cradle of Vitality has been amazing in my own Brion build. Sac one, gain life to make the next one bigger, rinse, repeat.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-28 10:23 pm 

Homura, Human Ascendant is missing from your list, at least I would run it. Also Wrath is not tutorable with the 'Forger, just so you know. :P However, Master Warcraft is!! :o Maybe the Giant tutor form Lorwyn for fetching up your giants. Or Bloodshot cyclops for additional flinging, ...and Fling too!! Fling is also a tutorable 'Forger target.

hmmm... This deck is looking like more and more fun the more I type the word more!!

MORE!!

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-28 11:35 pm 

Thanks for moving the topic.

I finally got to really play with the deck today. It came down to me and Multani, and I got Kiki-Jiki + Seht's Tiger down. He couldn't deal with that, and had to scoop. I also found that Galepowder Mage + Goro is crazy, or Kiki-Jiki + Hamletback Goliath. Actually, Kiki-Jiki is crazy with just about anything that isn't a legend. I also got to recur Squee and chuck him a bunch once I got all my equipment out. Try to visualize that.

Also, in that game, there was not only a Constant Mists being casted, but a general that actually fogs. And an Ensnaring Bridge. So I had to use Chuck to kill.

So yeah, I forgot that Sunforger only gets instants. I think my current package is still strong enough, but I did throw in Soul's Fire, which is usually better than Fling. I dropped Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon because my metagame isn't that cutthroat. Blood Moon just isn't fun.

- Blood Moon
- Magus of the Moon
+ Mobilization
+ Soul's Fire

Homura is going in once I get one. I'm considering Cradle of Vitality. I'll probably drop Akroma's Vengeance for Rout, since the deck is getting heavy on enchantments and artifacts, and I like to overextend with my equipment if I think it's safe from mass removal.

Also, this deck is very fun.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-03 10:30 am 

Kiki + Seht's Tiger in 1v1.... OMG! I'm not considering running Kiki in my 5c EDH that only runs a few red sources. The ability to fling the token is nice synergy as well.

You really really should add homura to the deck as well. FLing it so it flips. The use the bonus plus firebreathing to pump everything else.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-04 8:47 am 

How about adding more steal-effects. These can remove blockers, kill creatures and allow more brion stoutarm-abuse (bet you don't hear that last one very often ...) I'm thinking about:
Blind with anger, Flash Conscription, Unwilling recruit, Temporary Insanity, word of seizing, Helm of Possession, etc.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Jun-11 7:38 pm 

Tiemen wrote:
How about adding more steal-effects. These can remove blockers, kill creatures and allow more brion stoutarm-abuse (bet you don't hear that last one very often ...) I'm thinking about:
Blind with anger, Flash Conscription, Unwilling recruit, Temporary Insanity, word of seizing, Helm of Possession, etc.

I considered this, but decided that the steal spells aren't strong enough without Chuck in play. Perhaps a recurring steal effect like Helm of Possession would be worth a shot, though . . .

I can't get a Serra Avatar without buying it for 15$+. Maybe I'll just proxy it up for now. On that note, I still haven't tried Homura yet.

I've played a few more 1v1 games. I must say that the deck is better in 1v1, but not strong against dedicated 1v1 decks. Perhaps this general could be viable in 1v1 if I built the deck for it, especially with his one-shot "combos" like Serra Avatar and Phyrexian Processor.

Oddly enough, temporary steal spells like Threaten would be much better in 1v1.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Chuck
AgePosted: 2010-Feb-10 3:49 pm 

I dismantled this deck due to a few reasons:

- The color combination just sucked. I had to rely solely on artifacts for card drawing and mana fixing.
- The deck plan itself was almost completely reliant on artifacts and enchantments. So a single Aura Shards meant I simply couldn't play until I could remove the Aura Shards.
- The deck was far too mana hungry. Other than my few control cards, almost every card required 5 or more mana just to play and use. I could have slimmed the deck down a bit, but then it would have been boring.
- I wanted to rebuild Mayael, and this deck was using a lot of cards I needed for that deck.

I'll keep the decklist here for archive purposes. I did get a few more cards since I last updated this topic, including Phyrexian Processor, but the deck played out pretty much the same throughout its life.

Offline Profile