Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 9:25 am

Post subject: A Rith Tokens Bonanza
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 12:27 am 

This deck is currently still in the planning stages, so advice and comments will be probably be taken very highly into consideration. I am also on a rather tight budget, and at the moment this deck is already shaping up to be one of the most expensive decks I am probably going to have to build, so I have no doubt that I could improve the deck quite a bit by spending an arm and a leg, but I would rather keep each individual cards price tag under 30 dollars if possible (and that is for the non-foiled versions), the exception being the 4 planeswalkers.

General
Rith, the Awakener

Basic Lands
10 Forest
7 Plains
5 Mountain

Non-Basic Lands
Boros Garrison
Gaea's Craddle
Gruul Turf
Jungle Shrine
Nantuko Monastery
Pendelhaven
Selesnya Sanctuary
Strip Mine
Treetop Village
Vitu Ghazi, the City-Tree
Wasteland
Windswept Heath
Wooded Foothills
Yavimaya Hollow

Creatures
Auriok Champion
Cloudgoat Ranger
Derranged Hermit
Dragon Broodmother
Essence Warden
Eternal Witness
Fertilid
Genesis
Godsire
Imperious Perfect
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Loxodon Heirarch
Mirror Entity
Mycoloth
Nemata, Grove Guardian
Nobilis of War
Nullmage Shepherd
Reya Dawnbringer
Rhys the Redeemed
Seedborn Muse
Selesnya Guildmage
Soul Warden
Twilight Shepherd
Verdant Force
Verdeloth the Ancient
Vigor
Wilt-Leaf Liege

Instants
Enlightened Tutor
Naya Charm
Savage Beating
Sprout Swarm
Worldly Tutor

Sorceries
Austere Command
Decree of Justice
Hour of Reckoning
Kodama's Reach
Martial Coup
Natural Order
Overrun
Retribution of the Meek
Storm Herd
Titanic Ultimatum

Enchantments
Aura Shards
Doubling Season
Fires of Yavimaya
Gaea's Anthem
Glorious Anthem
Heartbeat of Spring
Mana Reflection
Mirari's Wake
Mobilization
Sterling Grove

Planeswalkers
Ajani Goldmane
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Garruk Wildspeaker
Sarkhan Vol

Artifacts
Coalition Relic
Darksteel Ingot
Obelisk of Naya
Sensei's Divining Top
Skull Clamp
Sol Ring

1 slot currently available

Last edited by Tharian on 2009-May-12 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 1:50 am 

I'm not a fan of Life and Limb in token decks. The biggest weakness of token decks is board sweepers, making them hit portions of your manabase as well really hinders your ability to recouperate from them. If nobody Wraths you, you probably win without L&L. If they do Wrath you, losing all of your forests along with your dudes kinda sucks.

If you want more tokens out of your forests, there's always Beacon of Creation or Howl of the Night Pack. If you want mana out of your Saprolings, I'd recommend Citanul Hierophants. Either way, I think it's more beneficial to pick a direction and do it right, L&L is just kind of messy and risky.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 5:39 am 

lol, it's my list + 7ish cards...hmm. I must be doing something right

Not sure how I feel about Reya - it has potential, I might try it myself. Free reanimation is usually pretty good.

Thelonite Hermit's become really unexciting in my build - I almost never want to actually play him and unmorph him because it's so expensive, so I think he might be getting cut for another more consistent token producer, preferably something that just makes them when it comes into play or does it for super cheap. Mobilization might be going back in, I haven't decided yet. I want more token producers that don't die to Wrath.

Kodama's Reach is a Sorcery, not an instant. I didn't like Rith's Charm that much, it was usually just 3 Saprolings at instant speed. Wordly Tutor probably isn't a bad include, I haven't played with creature tutors in my build very much. I like the idea of being able to toolbox a bit more.

Natural Order is interesting, not something I'd considered before. Considering the number of tokens this sucker produces it's probably a good call.

Mayael's Aria I've decided (for myself at least) doesn't fit here very well. Conditional pump bugs me. Muraganda Petroglyphs I like, but I've been running Wilt-Leaf Liege instead. I like the fact that Liege pumps my non-tokens as well, and also provides an effiecent body.

Life and Limb I don't like. Losing your lands to any instant speed Pyroclasm type effect is bad.

You gave me a few ideas for mine too, thanks!

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 8:28 am 

Artos wrote:
lol, it's my list + 7ish cards...hmm. I must be doing something right

Yeah, I kind of modeled it after yours, hope you don't mind?

Quote:
Not sure how I feel about Reya - it has potential, I might try it myself. Free reanimation is usually pretty good.

I was thinking, that her and Twilight Shepherd could be pretty useful in that they can allow me to keep my token producers in play all that much longer.

Quote:
Thelonite Hermit's become really unexciting in my build - I almost never want to actually play him and unmorph him because it's so expensive, so I think he might be getting cut for another more consistent token producer, preferably something that just makes them when it comes into play or does it for super cheap. Mobilization might be going back in, I haven't decided yet. I want more token producers that don't die to Wrath.

Actually, Mobilization sounds like an incredibly good idea, thanks :D

Quote:
Kodama's Reach is a Sorcery, not an instant. I didn't like Rith's Charm that much, it was usually just 3 Saprolings at instant speed. Wordly Tutor probably isn't a bad include, I haven't played with creature tutors in my build very much. I like the idea of being able to toolbox a bit more.

Will change the Reach to the Sorceries listing, thanks.

Yeah I wasn't sure about the Rith's Charm, but wasn't sure what else to use. The Tutor was something I included when I was running the Sekki, Seasons' Guide + Pandemonium combo, but decided to keep it, it strikes me as something that could be really useful, especially in getting cards like Nullmage Shepherd or stuff like that.

Quote:
Natural Order is interesting, not something I'd considered before. Considering the number of tokens this sucker produces it's probably a good call.

Natural Order was along the same lines as the Worldly Tutor, in that it was part of my Sekki, Seasons' Guide + Pandemonium Combo tutoring suite. But it was something I just couldn't talk myself into cutting.

Quote:
Mayael's Aria I've decided (for myself at least) doesn't fit here very well. Conditional pump bugs me. Muraganda Petroglyphs I like, but I've been running Wilt-Leaf Liege instead. I like the fact that Liege pumps my non-tokens as well, and also provides an effiecent body.

About the Aria, I wasn't sure if it was good enough, but with all the pump spells in this deck, it is usually highly likely that the Aria will have at least some effect. I like the idea of running Wilt-Leaf Liege instead of Muraganda Petroglyphs, I might even run the RW or RG Liege as well in place of the Aria.

Quote:
Life and Limb I don't like. Losing your lands to any instant speed Pyroclasm type effect is bad.

Well the idea was to turn all the Saprolings into forests as well, but I suppose I could take Otter's advice and run Beacon of Creation and/or Howl of the Night Pack instead of Life and Limb and Earth Surge....

Quote:
You gave me a few ideas for mine too, thanks!

Not a problem at all :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 9:50 am 

I've found that my list runs 15+ enchantments so I've been using celestial ancient to mass provide pumps. Aura shards is nice for targeted removal that gets activated a lot in a token deck. I also run centaur glade for more creature producing. Producing a ton of mana is important to me so I run 4 mana doubling enchantments as well which allow for a turn 5 storm herd.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 2:05 pm 

Breath of Fury
Painter's Servant

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 3:19 pm 

warble wrote:
Painter's Servant

I don't understand why people love this thing so much. It's completely win-more. If you're connecting with Rith you're likely making 5-10 tokens anyway.

I still haven't actually drawn Breath of Fury since I put it in, so I can't speak to that one yet.

Rafiq, Sharuum, Nekusar, Kresh, Mayael, Kaalia, Maelstrom Wanderer, Ghave, Ruhan, Mimeoplasm, Genju of the Realm, Phelddagrif, Derevi, Oloro, Jenara, Karrthus, Marath, Tariel, Riku, Karador, Numot, Damia, Sliver Overlord, Karn, Silver Golem

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 9:11 pm 

painters servant may seem like a win more card, but it can be pretty solid, i mean hit once with rith and get a token for every permanent in play instead of a select few? seems solid. i mean once a token deck like this gets rolling, doesn't every card like that seem like a win more card? muraganda petroglyphs, doubling season, etc.? once you've got a nice foothold, you should win soon thereafter, barring wrath and such.

speaking of, thats one thing i love about this deck, even if someone wraths, you can reset, quick.

try warp world? i've heard alot of good. its in the build i'm working on now.

check out the Mighty Emergence combo.
Thraximundar, "lets paint the town red"
Teysa, Orzhov Scion (retired)
Sasaya (in the making)
Isamaru (in the making)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 9:59 pm 

overgeneral_thoril wrote:
try warp world? i've heard alot of good. its in the build i'm working on now.

So basically Warp World puts EVERY card in my deck into play except my Instants and Sorceries???

Last edited by Tharian on 2009-May-12 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 10:28 pm 

yea, and add in that Eternal Witness you have and you could potentially cast Warp World until the opponents had no permanents left in play.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-12 10:32 pm 

darkdeal wrote:
yea, and add in that Eternal Witness you have and you could potentially cast Warp World until the opponents had no permanents left in play.

Uh huh, not sure I follow that strategy....

I have modified the deck list quite a bit... added more mana acceleration spells, specifically I have added Heartbeat of Spring and Mana Reflection, not sure if those are really the most optimal choices or not. Additionally I added the Storm Herd to the list, I liked that card alot.

I am also toying with whether or not to add Warp World or Painters Servant. I am not sure I like the idea of having a card that risks decking me. However I also am not sure I like enabling other opponents strategies with Painters Servant. Then again Painters Servant can enable my own cards quite nicely I suppose. Hmm... tough call, not really sure what to do here.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-13 7:41 am 

Flame Fusillade is one that I have in my Rith deck. It's pretty good removal or you can use it to finish someone off (or multiple someones late game).

Parallel Evolution is another you might try, as it doubles your tokens twice (flashback).

Mogg Infestation is another spell that essentially doubles your tokens and can act as a pseudo-wrath if an opponent has some troublesome creatures.

Try Chord of Calling as well.

Also not sure if anyone mentioned it but Muraganda Petroglyphs is good too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-13 8:49 am 

in addition to flame fusilade, try furystoke giant.

yeah. he's definitely a win-con.

check out the Mighty Emergence combo.
Thraximundar, "lets paint the town red"
Teysa, Orzhov Scion (retired)
Sasaya (in the making)
Isamaru (in the making)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-13 9:37 am 

Tharian wrote:
darkdeal wrote:

Uh huh, not sure I follow that strategy....

Witness gets back warp world. Since you're doing WW for your whole deck (or most of it with token generators like cloudgoat) you can shuffle everything up and repeat. This is a very special situation where you have enough tokens but it does let you repeat it at least once which severely hurts decks with lots of non-creature spells.

I'm more in favor of playing Wort and conspiring the WW instead.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile