Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-24 1:34 pm

Post subject: Sapling of Colfenor (First EDH Deck - Revised!)
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-26 2:29 pm 

I think the Sapling would make a pretty neat general for my first (Timmytastic) EDH deck. I don't have a very deep cardpool to build with, but I am willing to spend a bit to make the deck viable. With this deck I'm mostly looking for control-hosers (i.e., recursion, reanimate, retrace), discard, and good, strong, creatures to distribute face-beatings. Please tell me what you think of what I've put in, make suggestions of specific cards, and please make comments about the overall composition/direction of the deck!

Thanks in advance. :D

(NOTES:
L denotes a card used to get land out of the deck, ideally into my hand
R denotes a card with Retrace
T denotes a card used to tutor
Bold in the final section denotes a card I'm very strongly considering
The order in each section is Black, Hybrid, Green, Gold, Artifact)

GENERAL\\
Sapling of Colfenor

CREATURES\\
Ashling the Extinguisher
Magus of the Abyss
Necrosavant

Creakwood Liege
Deity of Scars
Desecrator Hag
Gleancrawler
Worm Harvest* R

Civic Wayfinder L
Indrik Stomphowler
Living Terrain*
Mossbridge Troll
Multani, Maro Sorcerer
Rhox
Sakura-Tribe Elder L
Savage Conception* R
Vigor
Tilling Treefolk L
Wickerbough Elder
Woodfall Primus
Yavimaya Elder L

Nath of the Gilt-Leaf

ARTIFACTS & ENCHANTMENTS\\
Attrition
No Mercy
Seal of Doom

Gift of the Deity

Cream of the Crop
Lure
Mana Reflection
Pattern of Rebirth
Rancor

Mind's Eye
Plague Boiler
Predator, Flagship

SORCERIES & INSTANTS\\
Demonic Tutor T
Duress
Extinction
Hymn to Tourach
Raven's Crime R
Slaughter Pact
Soul Reap
Syphon Life R
Terror

Harmonize
Journey of Discovery L
Kodama's Reach L
Land Grant L
Naturalize
Overrun
Primal Command T
Scapeshift
Summoner's Pact T
Tooth and Nail T

Putrefy

PLANESWALKERS\\
Garruk Wildspeaker

LANDS\\
Cabal Coffers
Golgari Rot Farm
Strip Mine**
Treetop Village
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Wasteland
X Forest & Swamp (X~40)

OTHER POSSIBILITIES & STUFF I DON'T HAVE YET\\
Life from the Loam
Doomgape
Hag Hedge-Mage
Noxious Hatchling
Corruption
Damnation
Drain Life
Liliana Vess
Haunted Crossroads
Gaea's Cradle
Twilight Mire
Feldon's Cane
Tormod's Crypt
Thran Foundry
Regal Force
Mulch
Entomb
Journeyer's Kite

I really like the idea of abusing retrace, heavily--I think it will play fantastically in EDH (esp. something like Worm Harvest in a deck with over 40 lands). I wonder if it would be worth it to put in less discard/control for more land-searching. What do you think?

*Not technically a creature
**I've read that this is banned in the format, but that seems really pointless considering that Wasteland isn't, and that the two are essentially the same power level--how often do you really want to destroy a basic land?

Last edited by Dr4z3r on 2008-Sep-12 11:56 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-26 2:40 pm 

Unless your playgroup has rules otherwise you can only run cards in the colour of the highlander, if i understand correctly. Thus the vexing Shusher, and the snake form would be off colour.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-26 8:40 pm 

I'm working on a Sapling deck myself. Maybe its just me, but I'm trying to make mine tribal treefolk where in your list you have few treefolk other than Sapling.

norbert88

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves

Last edited by norbert88 on 2008-Aug-09 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-27 7:53 pm 

While a tribal treefolk build of a Sapling deck seems interesting enough, I just don't see how it's worth all that to make a treefolk deck without Doran.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Jul-27 11:33 pm 

Dr4z3r wrote:
I just don't see how it's worth all that to make a treefolk deck without Doran.

I might do it, but I would want it to be mono green for Dauntless Dourbark.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-09 9:05 pm 

Interesting Jon; I'm building tribal deck too, focusing on shamen instead.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-10 12:10 pm 

Personnaly I've built a deck with Sapling as a general, I'm rather focused on cards such as Living Death, Survival for the Fittest, Zombify and such. Greater Good allows U to dig around 40 cards drawing in a single turn if played well around, and then casting a gigantic Living Death.

Magus of the Abyss allows you to target Sapling every turn while opponent gets his creatures decimated. Definately a good card to include.

And with Eternal Witness, with sufficient reanimator you can get multiple casts of Rude Awakening. Witness also allows you to recover Living Death just after having cast it, then you sacrifice all your board to Greater Good and discard all the creatures you draw, and go again for a 40 creatures Living Death, most of them with CIP effects.

I agree with Dr4z3r about the fact that building a treefolk deck without Doran is really underpowered. That being said, it shouldn't be totally bad either.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-14 11:45 pm 

intreped wrote:
Dr4z3r wrote:
I just don't see how it's worth all that to make a treefolk deck without Doran.

I might do it, but I would want it to be mono green for Dauntless Dourbark.

A friend of mine has a mono-green EDH with Azusa, Lost but Seeking as general, and basically just exploits having a LOT of forests with Dourbark, Molimo, Howl of the Nightpack, etc.

@ - Vhailor:
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely need to get a Magus of the Abyss!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-15 8:23 am 

Is there any benefit to using a bunch of high-toughness creatures to try and gain life out of the whole thing? Or would it reduce the power level of the deck as whole having to limit yourself too much with lousy creatures? From the looks of it, most people have just assumed the life gain/loss would be negligable, but I'm curious if anyone has taken it into consideration.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-15 9:21 am 

jmalex wrote:
Is there any benefit to using a bunch of high-toughness creatures to try and gain life out of the whole thing? Or would it reduce the power level of the deck as whole having to limit yourself too much with lousy creatures? From the looks of it, most people have just assumed the life gain/loss would be negligable, but I'm curious if anyone has taken it into consideration.

I can only think of a couple of cards that are relatively playable in green and black with significantly higher toughness. I think Wall of Roots and/or Vine Trellis may be worth considering, and Silklash Spider should probably go in, but beyond that I would speculate that you're better off just not worrying about your life total. What else would you add? Fendeep Summoner? Woodwraith Corrupter? Normally I love Seedborn Muse, but it doesn't seem to do much in a mostly sorcery-speed deck.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-15 1:07 pm 

I stuck a little wall package in mine as early defense and for synergy with Gravepact. Blossoms, Mulch, Blood, Roots, Cemetary Gate. And changelings. If you have mulch and blossom out with volrath's stronghold, you can wreak havoc on a board and draw a bunch of cards to boot.

Savra, Doomgape, and Attrition also make it in, as well as some features like victimize and primal growth. Add in a little token theme with bitterblossom, creakwood liege, worm harvest and night soil and you're good to go.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-15 3:00 pm 

DavinciCoder wrote:
I stuck a little wall package in mine as early defense and for synergy with Gravepact. Blossoms, Mulch, Blood, Roots, Cemetary Gate. And changelings. If you have mulch and blossom out with volrath's stronghold, you can wreak havoc on a board and draw a bunch of cards to boot.

Savra, Doomgape, and Attrition also make it in, as well as some features like victimize and primal growth. Add in a little token theme with bitterblossom, creakwood liege, worm harvest and night soil and you're good to go.

I've done a lot with it since I posted that decklist (I tried it update it last night, but apparently never hit submit ><), including trying Doomgape, Savra, and Attrition, but the sacrifice theme didn't really seem to take me very far. I really felt like a discard theme (hippy, raven's crime, nath) could do a lot better. Attrition is sure sticking around, though Doomgape and Savra are on the chopping block.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-15 7:30 pm 

Woodlurker Mimic seems very subpar in general. Spirit of the Night is a great creature for any deck with black, especially if you can cheat it into play.

Grindstone is one of the cards with a question mark, and unless you plan on running Painter's Servant, I wouldn't bother.

Feldon's Cane was another card you thought was questionable. I like the effect and have always been a big fan, but I'd run Thran Foundry instead. It can either be a cane for you, or essentially another crypt if your opponent is trying reanimate shenanigans.

Other than that, I don't have a lot to say as I'm new to the format myself.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Aug-20 4:18 pm 

I've finally revised the decklist to reflect what I've actually put together. There are still several things I need, but I've taken a lot of the above comments into account, and I think it's looking a lot more powerful! :D

@Dr. Jeebus:
Spirit of the Night sure seems attractively buff, but I'm not running a lot of ways to cheat it into play. Do you think it's worth putting in if I'm not running many ways to cheat it out?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Sep-06 1:10 am 

In any meta I've ever encountered, a Sapling with Gift of the Deity is not going to remain under your control for long. The deck would greatly benefit from both Lightning Greaves and Brooding Saurian.

One thing I've wanted to add to a Sapling Deck is Dead-Iron Sledge. Sure, it's just a weaker Gift of the Deity, but it is really cheap to play and equip. You could also add Tempting Licid to make a full Gift of the Deity, if drawing the one copy doesn't happen often enough to satisfy you.

Offline Profile