Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-May-25 10:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: EDH Pet Peeves
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-26 10:55 pm 

1) My pet peeve is people calling EDH a casual format and telling me off for running Imperial Seal, Mana Drain, and in general, multithousand dollar EDH decks (Non-pimped/cheapest versions of cards). Im a teenager in school, i had to work hard spending 90% of my every weekday during the summer vacation sorting cards for my LGS to get the store credit to play the way I do and I don't like to be criticized for it.
2) Not knowing the official EDH rules aside from deckbuilding, such as 40 life, general damage, free first mulligan, partial mulligans, etc
3) Those who judge the deck by its general

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 12:40 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Agree w/ Joz and Ziontific - Emrakul is an "it".

She's female on the flavour text:
ImageImage

Sid the Chicken wrote:
zimagic wrote:
From a woman's perspective, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the sexual stereotyping on Kemba.

What sexual stereotype are you referring to?

Come on, you didn't get the whole social commentary going on with Kemba?

Add her boobalicious kitty art to her mechanic and she screams "Give me bling: I'll whelp you a new kitten. Give me lots of bling: I'll whelp you lots of kittens." You're pretty much paying her to provide progeniture.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Last edited by zimagic on 2010-Oct-27 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 1:10 am 

Just wanted to comment that I found the OP's peeves amusing.

First he complains about getting attacked due to expensive cards, powerful decks, and known playskill. Then he complains about getting hated on for running infinite combos.

Then he complains about bad threat assessment. Ha! Sounds like your playgroup has pretty good threat assessment to me!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 4:24 am 

Haha, oh lord, that made me laugh.

At least she wants swords and armor in exchange for procreation. She's awfully practical.

In any case, Emeria is simply caused by/inspired by the memories of Emrakul, I don't think it's actually the Eldrazi itself. And even if it is, I think this is one of those weird situations like with Boats or physical representations of nature (the sky, in this case) - "She's a beauty!"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 5:09 am 

Ziontific wrote:
In any case, Emeria is simply caused by/inspired by the memories of Emrakul, I don't think it's actually the Eldrazi itself.

This. Very much this. Is there any flavor text that refers to any of the titans with a gender pronoun? Consume the Meek implies that Emrakul is an it.

Artos wrote:
then watching the same person that chewed me out play a completely non-interactive combo deck the next game (or even the same game in some cases).

Mmmmm... hypocrisy... *drool*

@Zimagic: OK, let's pretend Kemba was male, but had exactly the same mechanics. What then? The flavor would have to be like on Raksha Golden Cub (Kemba's predecessor and fellow Kha) who has a "better at leading the troops when equipped" ability, except Kemba gets troops to lead instead of buffing them. I think you're finding injustice based solely on the fact that she is female, imagining sexism where none exists. It's like if a company hires a white guy because he is the most qualified candidate for a position and a minority who also applied complained about discrimination because he didn't get the job. Hell, Raksha wore pretty much the same outfit (i.e. not much). The art could have been slightly less well-endowed, but whatever. I doubt anyone is staying up at night beating it to that picture or anything like that. I really don't get what the big deal is, except that "Titty Kitty" is really fun to say.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 6:23 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
@Zimagic: OK, let's pretend Kemba was male, but had exactly the same mechanics. What then? The flavor would have to be like on Raksha Golden Cub (Kemba's predecessor and fellow Kha) who has a "better at leading the troops when equipped" ability, except Kemba gets troops to lead instead of buffing them. I think you're finding injustice based solely on the fact that she is female, imagining sexism where none exists. It's like if a company hires a white guy because he is the most qualified candidate for a position and a minority who also applied complained about discrimination because he didn't get the job. Hell, Raksha wore pretty much the same outfit (i.e. not much). The art could have been slightly less well-endowed, but whatever. I doubt anyone is staying up at night beating it to that picture or anything like that. I really don't get what the big deal is, except that "Titty Kitty" is really fun to say.

I highly doubt that anyone in R&D sat down and said "Let's make a card with a Cat chick with a big boobs and tack on an ability that could be misinterpreted as being sexist!"

Though I can totally see the rest of R&D doing a group "Hur hur!" and proceeding to see who can pee the furthest, the card is really just a nice blend of all the right ingredients to allow this sort of reflection. I don't think anything was intended, even subconsciously.

And, btw, if Raksha ever hears you let the cat out of the bag (ba-dam-tish!) about his cross-dressing, the claws will be coming out! :mrgreen:

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 7:49 am 

Gods/Deities are always refered to as he and/or she; flavor text follows that.

Emrakul itself, is an it; I do not believe it has gender at all. So far, the only thing with a gender would be Spawnsire, possibly a he/she.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 8:10 am 

ETA: And, apparently, the edge of the screen. I tried to resize it to fit in the margins but couldn't do any better than this. Emrakul has protection from colored spells and bbcode attributes.

...and pants

Sedris, the Traitor King: BRAAAAAINS (Zombie Tribal)
Zedruu, Group Pickpocket (Pillowfort Test of Endurance deck. You heard right)
Ghave, Guru of Dumb (Token Control)

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Last edited by herodotusjr on 2010-Oct-27 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 8:35 am 

herodotusjr wrote:

ETA: And, apparently, the edge of the screen. I tried to resize it to fit in the margins but couldn't do any better than this. Emrakul has protection from colored spells and bbcode attributes.

...and pants

I have a pic of my second daughter when she was under 1 y.o. , on the beach (with pants this time) holding a fist-full of sand in each hand and dripping wet sand off her face after trying to eat said sand. She's got a very "RAWR! I'm Emrakul!!" Stomp! STOMP! expression. You have just inspired me to photoshop her onto this image as she's not really a fan of pants.

I may have to scratch "Gender" for something else, like "pink".

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 8:42 am 

How can she be transcending the pants if she's wearing them?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 9:51 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
How can she be transcending the pants if she's wearing them?

Just in that photo. She transcends pants quite often!

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 9:54 am 

zimagic wrote:
Just in that photo. She transcends pants quite often!

I believe you, but having a photo of her wearing the pants that says she transcends the pants makes no sense.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 10:20 am 

Pedo joke here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 10:27 am 

This isn't an EDH pet peeve, but a MAGIC Pet peeve.

"YOU CAN NOT RESPOND TO ME TAPPING MY LANDS FOR MANA!"
further more...
"YES, I CAN TAP MY LAND IN RESPONSE TO YOU TAPPING IT!"

end rant.
It seems some idiot who says they've played magic for two years tries to do this every couple of weeks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-27 5:34 pm 

Well, they can respond to someone tapping a land for mana, they just can't do anything "in response". XD

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next