1 [PS] Orim's Chant

// Artifacts
1 [DS] Well of Lost Dreams
1 [MR] Sun Droplet
1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [U] Sol Ring
1 [MR] Isochron Scepter
1 [US] Phyrexian Processor

The main win conditions are Felidar, Test of Endurance, Phyrexian Processor, Ajani's Avatar, Storm Herd, Luminarch Ascension, and Celestial Convergence.

Board sweepers to get rid of mass creatures and generals (should generals be untargetable)

Journey, Oblivion Ring, Faith's Fetters, and Runed Halo to prevent general damage, as well as other random cards.

Am I missing anything? I won't be able to find a moat. I don't really like Magus of the Moat. No spare Tabernacles here.

All feedback is appreciated! My other deck is Jhoira of the Ghitu and I'm tired of being a jerk. I just want to have some fun and gain some life with this deck ;) Help!

B/W Token Control
Sweep Suspense

Last edited by Andabatus on 2009-Oct-25 1:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Need help with mono-white Life-gain EDH
AgePosted: 2009-Oct-20 10:31 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Test of Endurance was banned.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-20 10:35 pm 

Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant?

Really, you should just be worried for an possibly unexpectedly high level of agression towards your deck.

Being too proactive gets you killed, being too passive can lead to the same end result.

I'd shift the deck a bit towards active win conditions a little- -still have the Test/F-cat be your main goal, but add things like Battlegrace and Exalted Angels, maybe a Loxodon Warhammer, and a few more critters.

For an idea that's way out there from what you're thinking, I imagine, you could shift to white-green for Armadillo Cloak and Behemoth Sledge and Ageless Entity/Phantom Nishoba/Loxodon Hierarch. (As a bonus, you'd get to run Fracturing Gust, which is incredible.)

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-21 12:15 am 

shadytradesman wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Test of Endurance was banned.

Nope, it was unbanned a little while back.

I agree with everything Jeyal just said. I also suggest adding a second color and G/W is another good choice. I posted a comment on your post in the strategy section concerning B/W and you can read it there. Adding that second color whether is is Green or Black just just gives your deck that much more depth and makes it more proactive.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-21 5:16 am 

Cradle of Vitality might be a cool addition.
For extra jerk factor, add Kismet or Loxodon Gatekeeper + Meekstone.
Magus of the Tabernacle? You already have the original, but why not add redundancy? Ditto for Reya Dawnbringer. One or two of those walls could probably get cut for the magus and Reya.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-21 7:14 am 

Jeyal wrote:
Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant?

Really, you should just be worried for an possibly unexpectedly high level of agression towards your deck.

Being too proactive gets you killed, being too passive can lead to the same end result.

I'd shift the deck a bit towards active win conditions a little- -still have the Test/F-cat be your main goal, but add things like Battlegrace and Exalted Angels, maybe a Loxodon Warhammer, and a few more critters.

For an idea that's way out there from what you're thinking, I imagine, you could shift to white-green

I just feel like Atalya will handle the general damage prevention better, seeing as I have very very few creatures.
I agree, high level aggression could potentially destroy me. And yes, being either too proactive or passive can lead to downfall. My goal with this deck is to not seem a very big threat.

It may be more beneficial to be creature heavier for exalted angel and things of the like, but I haven't tested this against people yet, so I may need to make drastic changes that are currently unknown.

Jukren54 wrote:
I agree with everything Jeyal just said. I also suggest adding a second color and G/W is another good choice. I posted a comment on your post in the strategy section concerning B/W and you can read it there. Adding that second color whether is is Green or Black just just gives your deck that much more depth and makes it more proactive.

Yes, adding an additional color would make this better. I agree entirely. But this deck is purely for S&Gs. I find it more fun to keep it mono-white, for it seems weaker.

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Cradle of Vitality might be a cool addition.
For extra jerk factor, add Kismet or Loxodon Gatekeeper + Meekstone.
Magus of the Tabernacle? You already have the original, but why not add redundancy? Ditto for Reya Dawnbringer. One or two of those walls could probably get cut for the magus and Reya.

I agree about Kismet. The first time I read it I thought it said everyone, not just opponents. That definitely should go in.
I agree about the Magus as well. And Reya too. And I agree the walls should come out for them. Any suggestions as to the third card?

B/W Token Control
Sweep Suspense

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-21 8:38 am 

Sunbeam Spellbomb seems pretty weak with no way to recur it. That should come out.
Also, I'd try to put in Proclamation of Rebirth with which to endlessly recur Martyr of Sands for ridiculous life, and this seems like a great home for Luminarch Ascension with all your damage prevention.
Landbind Ritual is a little underwhelming here and should probably go. Carom... Seriously... No.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-21 9:55 am 

Heh, Storm Herd and The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. Tabernacle also has rampant antisynergy with Congregate and, if you choose to include it, Luminarch Ascension. Besides, nobody likes having to pay upkeep costs for their creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-21 3:00 pm 

Two words: Gerrard Capashen.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-22 3:52 am 

Some suggestions:

Zuran Orb
Claws of Gix
if you insert the Claws, then Sacred Mesa and Mobilization can be put in as well, as additional critter producers and eventual life gain
Parallax Wave - can save your own life-gaining creatures, works well vs enemy pointed removal and your own mass removal

And where is the Honden of Cleansing Fire? Didn't see it, and I thought each life-gain deck must include it.

Edit: Almost forgot Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Pearl Medallion...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-22 9:51 am 

Put in boseiju, who shelters all. not only do you not care about the life loss it will punch through your win condition guaranteed.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-22 5:48 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Sunbeam Spellbomb seems pretty weak with no way to recur it. That should come out.
Also, I'd try to put in Proclamation of Rebirth with which to endlessly recur Martyr of Sands for ridiculous life, and this seems like a great home for Luminarch Ascension with all your damage prevention.
Landbind Ritual is a little underwhelming here and should probably go. Carom... Seriously... No.

I agree about the Spellbomb. It's been taken out.
I love Proclamation of Rebirth. It's definitely in.
Luminarch Ascension is in as well.
Landbind Ritual has been taken out.
Carom is funny, but not good enough I suppose. I like it for it drawing me a card, but I suppose just having a more relevant card in place of it is more effective. Lol >.>

Great suggestions.

paperwarrior wrote:
Heh, Storm Herd and The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. Tabernacle also has rampant antisynergy with Congregate and, if you choose to include it, Luminarch Ascension. Besides, nobody likes having to pay upkeep costs for their creatures.

First, I've taken Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale out. I forgot it costs over $100. Lol. I'm being realistic. And you're talking about drawing two specific cards at the same time with a 99 card deck (plus general), if I get one, I don't play the other. Let's play the smart game ;)

electrkspacemnky wrote:
Two words: Gerrard Capashen.

He does little for me. :(

saros wrote:
Some suggestions:

Zuran Orb
Claws of Gix
if you insert the Claws, then Sacred Mesa and Mobilization can be put in as well, as additional critter producers and eventual life gain
Parallax Wave - can save your own life-gaining creatures, works well vs enemy pointed removal and your own mass removal

And where is the Honden of Cleansing Fire? Didn't see it, and I thought each life-gain deck must include it.

Edit: Almost forgot Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Pearl Medallion...

Zuran orb - I have no intention of sacrificing lands. Unless everyone decides to play obliterate/arma effects, I'll pass.
I have few permanents to sacrifice to Claws.
I don't feel that Mobilization would be very relevant to the purpose of this deck.
Wave is situational, sorcery speed, and only works for a very short period of time, not to mention I have a severe lack of creatures. Lol.
Elspeth is a good card. It does little in this deck. =/
Honden says "4 mana - Gain 2 life a turn". Boo >.>
Pearl Medallion seems good though. I may have to put that in. ;)

warble wrote:
Put in boseiju, who shelters all. not only do you not care about the life loss it will punch through your win condition guaranteed.

I like it, but the people I play aren't jerks about countering. Lol.

B/W Token Control
Sweep Suspense

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-23 3:36 am 

Elspeth will probably be much better if you find place in the deck for Armageddon or at least Catastrophe. Also, she produces soldiers for free (unlike Mobilization) which your deck needs anyways.

Parallax wave combines well not only with your mass removal, but also with the Claws of gix, which you don't want to put in. Claws work well with Elspeth's soldiers too - block, sacrifice, 1 life. If you wander what combo I'm reffering to it's like that:

Parallax wave comes into play - remove all fading counters targeting enemy creatures - while 'exile target creature' abilities are still on the stack sacrifice the Wave through the Claws - its 'return creatures to play' effect resolves first (no creatures are returned), and then the five 'remove target creature from the game' fading counter effects resolve - thus the whole combo results in five enemy target creatures removed from play permanenty + 1 life gain for you.

Edit: This works amazingly good if you add Oblivion ring to this combo. But even Oblivion Ring + Parallax wave work in the same (or even better) fasion as Claws of Gix + Parallax wave.

I don't know what your EDH environment is, but here each deck which runs white also runs Sacred Ground, because each player who can fills his/her deck with all kinds of mass land destroy spells and effects.

Edit: Concerning the Honden, it seems to be a much more useful enchantment than, for example, Rewards of Diversity. Even in a multiplayer game, I doubt you'll gain more life through the Rewards than with the Honden.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-24 7:21 am 

saros wrote:
Elspeth will probably be much better if you find place in the deck for Armageddon or at least Catastrophe. Also, she produces soldiers for free (unlike Mobilization) which your deck needs anyways.

Parallax wave combines well not only with your mass removal, but also with the Claws of gix, which you don't want to put in. Claws work well with Elspeth's soldiers too - block, sacrifice, 1 life. If you wander what combo I'm reffering to it's like that:

Parallax wave comes into play - remove all fading counters targeting enemy creatures - while 'exile target creature' abilities are still on the stack sacrifice the Wave through the Claws - its 'return creatures to play' effect resolves first (no creatures are returned), and then the five 'remove target creature from the game' fading counter effects resolve - thus the whole combo results in five enemy target creatures removed from play permanenty + 1 life gain for you.

Edit: This works amazingly good if you add Oblivion ring to this combo. But even Oblivion Ring + Parallax wave work in the same (or even better) fasion as Claws of Gix + Parallax wave.

I don't know what your EDH environment is, but here each deck which runs white also runs Sacred Ground, because each player who can fills his/her deck with all kinds of mass land destroy spells and effects.

Edit: Concerning the Honden, it seems to be a much more useful enchantment than, for example, Rewards of Diversity. Even in a multiplayer game, I doubt you'll gain more life through the Rewards than with the Honden.

Actually, the deck functions quite well without any soldiers. I don't feel it needs it. It seems like Elspeth would just put me in a more aggressive position, which may end up killing me. The soldiers won't actually do anything productive. My main win conditions don't include me killing a player.

And eh, I don't like the combo enough to implement it. Sorry. It's a nice idea, but it just doesn't flow.

Rewards was taken out (sadface), but I still don't like the Honden.

I've built the deck and played it a few times. It's interesting and funny. That's what I wanted it to be. I just added Silence and Orim's chant, so we'll see how those go.

Is there any way white can tutor for Proclamation of Rebirth?

B/W Token Control
Sweep Suspense

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mono-White Life-Gain EDH!
AgePosted: 2009-Nov-06 12:35 pm 

No Serra Avatar?

Big problem I see with this strategy is that it doesn't matter how much life you have, you still lose to 21 general damage.

Offline Profile