Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-21 3:10 pm

Post subject: Help me tl:dr: Spheres of Influence
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-09 1:28 am 

A few nights ago I was at a new place and an 8-person pod broke out around 9pm. In the interests of not playing until 2, I suggested that we use spheres of influence to help things go faster. No one knew what I meant and my trying to explain how it would work (including simultaneous turns) took too long, so we did it the old fashioned way and it took like 3 hours, which was surprisingly fast, IMO, probably because we were also doing Planechase things and permanents fell out of decks like mana from heaven because of Grove of the Dreampods.

Nevertheless I think that it's a useful thing to add to one's repertoire, so I'd like to be able to explain it more succinctly.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Help me tl:dr: Spheres of Influence
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-09 3:52 am 

"For all intents and purposes, players and their permanents that are outside of your sphere of influence are not there and cannot be affected by you in any way."

That's probably how I'd explain it.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-18 1:41 pm 

Thespian gave a nice 1-sentance summary of sphere of Influence. If clarification were needed, I would supplement it with:

What this means: (all examples are given with a Sphere Range of 1)
- Players may only attack (or be attacked by) creatures and players inside their Sphere
Ex: Player (PL)1 may attack PL2 or PL8 and Planeswalkers controlled by them, whereas PL2 can attack PL3 and PL1, but can't even see PL8.
- Targets may only be chosen from inside the Sphere
Ex: PL1 casts Forgotten Lore, only PL2 and PL8 may be chosen a the Target Opponent. PL4 casts Act of Aggression, they can only target a creature controlled by PL3 or PL5.
- Any "all <card type/player/opponent>" cards can only affect things inside the Sphere
Ex: PL4 casts Earthquake for X=5. Only PLs 3, 4, & 5, and their non-flying creature take 5 damage each. PL8 casts Vision Skeins, only PLs 7, 8, & 1 draw two cards. PL7 has Bottomless Pit in play. Only PL6-8 discard on PL7's upkeep. PL5 attacks PL4. After blocking PL3 casts Righteousness on one of PL4's Blocking creatures (this is allowed because PL4 is in the Sphere of Influence for both 5 and 3; and even though PL3 isn't in the active sphere of influence PL3 can still legally cast an instant on another player's turn).

What this means for simultaneous turns:

Turns start on opposite sides of the table (e.g. PL1 and 5 at an 8 player table). This is possible because each player need only pay attention to the players in their Sphere. (Though they should still be paying attention even when not in an active sphere of influence, that's your chance to take in the larger game, or pull tricks like the Righteousness example above)
- For structured turns, the turn markers don't move until both players on an active turn are ready (so PL2 and PL6 start and end their turn together, PL3 and 7, etc.
- For unstructured turns, the markers are independent. However, no player may be in two spheres of influence at the same time. So a turn is delayed when the player being split announces the "double" (or the signal of choice). No player may start a turn without making sure all players in their Sphere are aware.
Ex:PL3(S2-4) and PL6(S5-7) have the turn markers. PL3 finishes and passes to PL4. If PL5 would be overwhelmed (such a late game and complex turns) the player announces "Double" (or other signal) and PL4 simply waits for PL6 to finish and pass to PL7 before starting their turn.
- Killed players drop out and the Sphere contracts.
Ex: PL5 kills PL6. PL6 is now gone and PL5's Sphere is now PLs 4, 5, & 7 while PL7's Sphere becomes 5, 7, & 8.
- When you get to a pre-determined number of players (usually 4 or 5) the player with the "front" marker delays their turn until the "back" marker would also reach them. Play then continues without simultaneous turns. It is up to the playgroup if Spheres of influence remain in effect.
Ex: The table is currently 1,2,3,4,6,7 and "four-players-remaining" was chosen as the end of SimTurn. The markers are at 4 and 7 when PL4 kills PL3 and PL6 at the same time. Gap PL4 to PL7 is now 0 players, Gap PL7 to PL4 is 2 players; so PL7 is the "front" marker. When PL7 would pass the marker to PL1 s/he waits until PL4 finishes their turn. The back marker drops away and play continues as normal with PL1.

It might also be advisable to print something off and let them read it and ask questions, rather than doing it all verbally.

PS: I apologize in advance for an "s" problems. It seems my "s" key is only working about half the time, and I think I caught them all but don't have time to double-check.

PPS: I think I got them now

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Last edited by Treamayne on 2016-Apr-19 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-18 1:56 pm 

Treamayne wrote:
It seems my "s" key I only working about half the time, and I think I caught them all

Now this is irony :P

Good explanation; except your "Double" thing is confusing me. Can you explain that bit again?

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-19 1:52 am 

Viperion wrote:
Good explanation; except your "Double" thing is confusing me. Can you explain that bit again?

Well, double was just the term we used; but basically it mean somebody would be affected by two (double) active Spheres of Influence at the same time.

For example, Player (PL) 5 has the marker, In a Range 1 game, PLs 4 and 6 need to monitor the turn, because they are "in Range." So, if PL3 were to get the marker and start their turn, then PL4 would be in two spheres of influence with active turns at the same time.

Some people at my college (circa 95) would try to take advantage of that, so this was our solution. By saying "double" (or in some way making sure the player gaining a marker knows), the trailing player had to delay starting their turn until the front maker was passed. This ensured a player didn't miss an action, in this example, by PL3 because they were monitoring PL5. It was mostly a safeguard that rarely came up unless a new or significantly slower player was present.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Apr-19 6:15 am 

Treamayne wrote:
Well, double was just the term we used; but basically it mean somebody would be affected by two (double) active Spheres of Influence at the same time.

For example, Player (PL) 5 has the marker, In a Range 1 game, PLs 4 and 6 need to monitor the turn, because they are "in Range." So, if PL3 were to get the marker and start their turn, then PL4 would be in two spheres of influence with active turns at the same time.

Some people at my college (circa 95) would try to take advantage of that, so this was our solution. By saying "double" (or in some way making sure the player gaining a marker knows), the trailing player had to delay starting their turn until the front maker was passed. This ensured a player didn't miss an action, in this example, by PL3 because they were monitoring PL5. It was mostly a safeguard that rarely came up unless a new or significantly slower player was present.

Ah right, gotcha. Cool.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile