Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-18 11:29 am

Post subject: Planechase Variant (EDH Optional)
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-13 5:32 pm 

This is just a variant of what I think is already a variant. One of my more casual groups plays Planechase EDH just to mix it up and we developed a variant that everyone to play it has enjoyed.

Just posting to get extra input :D

--------------------------------------------

There's no real formal name, we just call it "Chaos".

Basic 3x3 facedown planes to start. 1-9 is left to right. Two d10s.

You always start on plane 5 (middle). Everyone gets hands and gets settled before revealing which plane is first. We normally resolve Phenomena if it's first one but you could just ignore and replace.

Movement: On successful Planeswalk roll, you can move left, right, up or down. Not diagonally. Planes wrap though, so you can walk from 3 to 1 or 9. No new planes are put into play.
New Planes: Any plane that tells you to planeswalk or has a "when you planeswalk away" trigger is replaced when triggered/activated. This is to prevent abusing board wipes and other unsavory outcomes (unlikely but better safe than sorry). New planes on Chaos roll as well (more on this in a moment).
Chaos Roll: On a roll of Chaos (only natural chaos, not blank Chaos rolls from Chaotic AEther), you resolve the chaos effect as stated on the plane. After that's done resolving, roll both d10s. For each roll of 1-9, put a new planes card on that spot facedown (doubles only apply one new plane), if this happens to be the one you're one, it's considered a planeswalk. Rolls of 10 are a new plane over your current one. So if you're on plane 5, a roll of 5 or 10 will planeswalk you.

Rest of the rules are pretty much basic planechase.

I think that's about it, there's a few quirks here and there but they can all be settled with house rules for w/e works for your group. It seems complicated at first but once you get started, it's pretty easy and can be really enjoyable.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to any input you may have :D

Last edited by Necrachilles on 2015-Oct-14 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Planechase Varient (EDH Optional)
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 12:43 am 

So basically you play the Planar Map variant with a more permanent map.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Planechase Varient (EDH Optional)
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-14 4:02 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
So basically you play the Planar Map variant with a more permanent map.

Assuming you mean Eternities map but yes, something similar to that. As I said, variant of a variant.

I'm not sure I'd say the map is more permanent though as it varies from game to game but normally chaos rolls/d10s change it up pretty frequently. This is also why there's a greater chance to shift the plane your on. Best way I can put it is, it's a middle ground between vanilla planechase and the map variant. It leaves a lot of the random elements (since planes remain facedown till you walk to them) in place but opens up strategic/safe options in the form of backtracking.

I tried the map variant and just wasn't liking it. This was a variant that was a little easier to maneuver and truly was random in the sense that, you just won't see some planes sometimes as they'll get buried under other facedown planes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Planechase Variant (EDH Optional)
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-15 8:48 am 

I went a bit further with this type of idea a couple years ago, but there was virtually no real interest in it at the time. Then again, it really did take a lot of extra effort. Anyway, you're welcome to any part of it:

Multiverse Magic

(With compliments to Shoe:)
Last version of the rules I wrote

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-16 3:44 am 

This is a bit tangential, but it springs from the same root cause as this variant.

When my group tried out the Eternities Map, we also found it to be unwieldy. We switched to removing planes once you are >2 steps away rather than 3, which means that you always have the option of hellriding. That probably falls someplace between the standard Eternities Map and this variant in terms of randomness, but has the benefit of just tweaking one parameter instead of adding in additional rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jul-21 12:21 am 

Forever ago lol

But yeah, no hellriding in my variant.and no removing planes, just covering them up. Never more than 9 planes out (sans spatial merging)

It's just one of those variants that seems way more complicated than it is until you play it. That being said, I've played it with multiple "pug" groups, all to great success/enjoyment.

:)

Offline Profile