Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Apr-20 11:19 pm

Post subject: Idea for an EDH variant
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-06 5:45 am 

So, I was researching in to other multiplayer formats of magic and I stumbled across the idea of "assassin," an idea which I rather liked. The randomly assigned colors and randomly assigned targets sounded like something fun.
I have never played Dungeons and Dragons, but I have always loved fantasy games.
I thought of there being two teams:
Paladin and Priest
Assassin and Necromancer
Then there could be an optional fifth thief player who could steal perminents
These positions are all randomly assigned through drawing basic land cards. Green is paladin, white is priest, red is assassin, black is necromancer and blue is the thief.
Each one of these classes has an ability that can be activated once per turn. These abilities have modifiers, meaning they get stronger throughout the game. The modifier will be the number of permanents you control, cut in half and rounded downward.

Paladin:
I was thinking to have the Paladin be either damage prevention and redirection, or healing. This could be activated once per turn and would last into your opponents turn (mainly the damage prevention). The Paladin can pick a target, either the priest, the thief, or himself. His abilities can't be used to prevent damage done to your opponents.

Priest:
The priest can heal back life of either his team-mate, the thief, or himself.

Assassin:
I'm not 100% sure yet on the assassin. I was thinking flat-out damage, but a friend recommended the idea of poison counters, but I don't know a whole lot about poison counters. Ideas are welcome

Necromancer:
Necromancer can return a creature card from any graveyard with converted mana cost X, where
X is number of permanents cut in half and rounded down

Thief:
Thief can take control of a permanent with CMC X or less, where X is perminents controlled halved and rounded down.

The thief is optional, but the goal is for the two teams to eliminate one another.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Idea for an EDH variant
AgePosted: 2014-Jul-07 3:22 am 

First off, I would say the Assassin should work in flat-out damage. Poison counters make him and the Necromancer basically be unable to synergize with each other unless the necromancer is running an infect deck (which I would not recommend), and it would also make the priest irrelevant to the game.

Secondly, I'd have to ask how the deck construction works, including general damage. Is it the same as normal EDH, or is there something else going on?

Finally, I would suggest changing the Paladin and Priest abilities, since I think that the necromancer and assassin team has the advantage. The assassin and priest cancel out unless the assassin can target creatures/planeswalkers as well, in which case he also cancels out the paladin. Assuming he doesn't, the remainder is the paladin, who can defend creatures, versus the necromancer, who can steal both his and his opponents' creatures, creating a steady stream of card advantage unmatched by the others.

Also, another thing that makes me scared is that Leyline of Punishment kills the goodguys' abilities. Actually, there are a lot of cards that can kill all the characters' abilities. Do you see that as a problem or not?

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jul-07 5:24 am 

What would you advise for the good guy's abilities?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-11 1:46 am 

I'd say the priest could do damage prevention or lifegain. Both are cleric-type abilities both in D&D and in Magic.

A paladin is a warrior-priest, a holy warrior that smites the wicked. There are quite a few examples in MtG - just do a gatherer search for "paladin". Most have combat-related abilities, and a few, like Northern Paladin, smite the wicked more directly. I'd recommend either some sort of combat buff ability, perhaps similar to Angelic Skirmisher, or a global pump of some sort, or the ability to destroy the permanents of the bad guys.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Sep-28 1:56 pm 

I think this could be powerful and fun but especially if nobody knew. I will have to randomly select my deck in order to ensue no unfair advantage.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-04 2:10 pm 

maybe these could be the abilities

the modifier is x
assasin has deal x damage to target creature

change thief to wizard and he can scry x

necromancer has return target creature with cmc x or less to the battlefield when it leaves the battle field exile it

paladin target creature gets +x+x until the beginning of your next upkeep

priest has target creature gainshaste, vigilance, flying, lifelink, or trample until the beginning of your next upkeep, this ability may be activated x times per turn

Offline Profile