Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-13 12:56 pm

Post subject: Ghost Council - Capitalism w/ Life
AgePosted: 2008-Oct-14 1:43 am 

Any suggestions are appreciated, as always.

General:
Ghost Council of Orzhova

Land - 39
10x Plains
10x Swamp
Bojuka Bog
Crypt of Agadeem
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Fetid Heath
Godless Shrine
Leechridden Swamp
Marsh Flats
Mistveil Plains
Orzhov Basilica
Orzhova, the Church of Deals
Phyrexian Tower
Reliquary Tower
Scrubland
Springjack Pasture
Tainted Field
Thawing Glaciers
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Vesuva
Zoetic Cavern

Artifacts - 8
Expedition Map

Genesis Chamber
Orzhov Signet

Coalition Relic

Nightmare Lash
Phyrexian Processor
Well of Lost Dreams

Gilded Lotus

Creatures - 25
Blood Seeker
Auriok Champion
Withered Wretch

Mirror Entity
Cemetery Reaper
Dross Harvester
Faerie Macabre
Flickerwisp
Necrotic Sliver
Vampire Nighthawk

Solemn Simulacrum
Academy Rector
Wall of Reverence
Bane of the Living
Faceless Butcher

Shriekmaw
Woebearer
Archon of Justice
Chainer, Dementia Master
Divinity of Pride

Duplicant
Twisted Abomination
Exalted Angel
Spirit of the Hearth

Eternal Dragon

Enchantments - 13
Bloodchief Ascension
Phyrexian Reclamation

Righteous Aura

Aura of Silence
Phyrexian Arena
Necropotence

Faith's Fetters
Greed

Imperial Mask
Angelic Chorus
Sanguine Bond

Necromancer's Covenant

Debtor's Knell

Planeswalker - 1
Sorin Markov

Instants - 9
Enlightened Tutor
Suffer the Past
Swords to Plowshares
Vampiric Tutor
Gilded Light
Lapse of Certainty
Return to Dust
Slaughter
Beacon of Immortality

Sorceries - 4
Demonic Tutor
Hallowed Burial
Austere Command
Absorb Vis
---
Sideboard - 10
Soul Warden
Pit Keeper
Puppeteer Clique
Kuro, Pitlord
Vedalken Orrery
Path to Exile
Imp's Mischief
Withering Boon
Final Judgment
Identity Crisis

Updates May 27, 2010:

Updates June 24, 2010:

Last edited by intreped on 2010-Jun-24 11:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Oct-17 12:32 am 

Just a few highlights:

Genesis Chamber (auto-include in any Ghost Council build)

Minion Reflector with:
Gwyllion Hedge-Mage
Solemn Simulacrum
Archon of Justice
Puppeteer Clique
(it's not amazing stuff, but it's not bad when your General provides a sac outlet)

Any general with lifegain should at least consider:
Well of Lost Dreams
Boon Reflection

Angelic Chorus is awesome since GCoO blinks in and out so much.

Plague of Vermin + Decree of Pain + Phyrexian Altar = "Pay 8 life. Each opponent may pay any amount of life. Without realizing it, they just let you draw that many cards." SICK!

Righteous Aura is an interesting gem I found while searching for ways to turn my life total into a resource. It's a great counter to Swords of F&I / L&S, Jitte, Trygon Predator, and General damage. I can easily see myself paying 2 life to prevent one damage to myself in multiple circumstances.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Nov-14 12:08 pm 

Updates:
I couldn't find a Phyrexian Altar, so I took out the generally awful Plague of Vermin.

I added Spirit of the Hearth to protect against Mindslaver.

I couldn't find my Puppeteer Clique, Stonecloaker, or Withering Boon.

I added Greed, which is surprisingly good. Sometimes I prefer it over Necropotence or Phyrexian Arena.

I took out Gwyllion Hedge-Mage, because it's pretty bad in a format of BIG things.

I added Flickerwisp to reuse 187 effects and potentially put Faith's Fetters on a Simic Sky Swallower. We'll see how it plays out. I really like the interaction with Minion Reflector, although it's mighty expensive if I haven't managed to steal a Seedborn Muse.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ghost Council
AgePosted: 2010-May-27 12:18 pm 

Updated.

Since it had been about 2 years or maybe longer since my last update, there were quite a few changes. Looking back on some of my cuts I feel I made a few mistakes. With the exceptions of Leyline of the Void and Test of Endurance, every card in my "sideboard" is a card I once had maindeck and would like to include there again. I'm also considering adding Cadaver Imp and Butcher of Malakir, so that's 10 cards I would like to cut.

Any help?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ghost Council - Capitalism w/ Life
AgePosted: 2010-May-27 2:37 pm 

intreped wrote:
so that's 10 cards I would like to cut.

Any help?

Here are a few of my suggestions (only 5, sorry):

1. Seal of Doom - This could become Fleshbag Marauder, and would therefor be easier to recur. You have more creature recursion than enchantment right now.

2. Lapse of Certainty - Is this a pet card for you? I noticed you had it in another deck. I think a one time tempo wrecking counter in white isn't really all that good unless backed up with other cards that seriously hurt you opponents tempo, plus you can only use it once on one opponent. What about turning this into just removal instead, like Sudden Spoiling/Death or Unmake??

3. Absorb Vis - While I have never played this card (as in hard cast it), I would think that there is 1. better life gain/drain and 2. better land search options for you. Armillary Sphere is really good, and even Wayfare's Bauble is decent in this format. And as for replacing the life drain Sanguine Bond, Polluted Bonds, or Maga (who is also recurable) could be nice options.

4. Withering Boon - Similar to the LoC, this card could become removal, creature based removal such as Nekrataal or Archon of Justice. One more counterspell may not really help you. Next thing you know you'll be wanting to run Dash Hopes!! :P

5. Woebearer - I love this guy, but he never seems to make the final cut for me. I am on the fence with him, but his ability is great AND he has fear!! Haunted Crossroads is one of my new pet cards, so I guess I would suggest it here.

Hope that helped!!

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-28 7:08 pm 

Run the same kind of deck with my Ghost Council but I do have some different deck.
Ob Nixilis is a creature that has won games for me. Along with his friends Kor Cartographer, Weathered Wayfarer, Pilgrim's Eye, Solemn Simulacrum, and Corpse Harvester.
I also run Chain, Dementia Master, Angel of Despair, Purgatory, and Order of Whiteclay.
What I have to ask where is your Liliana Vess to help to get your Sorin Markov ?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-24 11:19 pm 

On Rhapsody's suggestion, I cut Seal of Doom, which allowed me to cut a great portion of the enchantment recursion theme, so I had more room in the deck. In its place I added a couple more ways to utilize my life total as a resource (Slaughter and Nightmare Lash), and I am testing out Dross Harvester in place of Soul Warden. We'll see whether it's an upgrade or not. Also to gain more life I added Wall of Reverence, and tried to upgrade Necromancer's Covenant a bit by adding Cemetery Reaper and Mirror Entity.

I did cut Withering Boon as well, but I kept it in my sideboard because I will probably want it back someday. There are so many creatures I want to deal with before they ever hit the table: Venser, Draining Whelk, Projenitus, Uril, Yosei, Keiga, Leonin Shikari (w/ Sword of Light and Shadow or Lightning Greaves), Inkwell Leviathan, Darksteel Colossus, etc., that Withering Boon is often better than removal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-29 1:33 pm 

Here are some suggestions based on my own GCoO deck. Mine focuses more on token generation for blinking purposes and heavier on recurssion effects.

I tried out Genesis Chamber and took it out after a while. I found that it was too helpful for my opponents as well. Then again, I also have Braids, Cabal Minion and Grave Pact in my deck. Speaking of, you should include Grave Pact if there is alot of Eldrazi love going on in your area as there is in mine.

Another of my favorite recurssion enchantments is Dawn of the Dead. Awsome card with Ghost Council, mainly because if the creature hits the graveyard before your EoT, it won't get exiled.

Angel of Despair and Vindicate are pretty solid, especially against planeswalkers. You can never have too much permanent destruction nowadays.

Personally, I can't wait to add Sun Titan and Grave Titan once M11 comes out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-09 11:39 am 

Since you have Reliquary Tower and Necropotence, you could add Ivory Tower and replace Greed with Yawgmoth's Bargain and even Necrologia.

Other cards I have liked a lot in this deck:
Celestial Mantle
Felidar Sovereign
Netherborn Phalanx
Deathbringer Liege
Mortify

Cards that need to be considered:
Loxodon Warhammer
Sword of Light and Shadow perhaps with Pestilence
Ajani Goldmane
Knight of Meadowgrain

The goal of my deck is to attack repeatedly with an Ajani Avatar with Celestial Mantle and Loxodon Warhammer on it :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-10 9:01 am 

Egarran wrote:

Yawgmoth's Bargain is probably the single most broken card on the entire EDH banlist. It might even be the most unbalanced card ever printed, even more than Skullclamp, Fastbond, Channel, Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus, Sol Ring, Time Walk, and Squire. That said, if your playgroup doesn't complain that you run it, by all means enjoy.

As for Necrologia, I never liked the thought of paying 5 mana during my own end step. I admit it's probably excellent for the deck, and if I had one I would throw it in to test it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find one.

Mortify was in the deck for a while, but got cut in favor of better removal. Deathbringer Liege isn't that good without more creatures that are both black and white; if I wanted repeatable removal on a body, I would just throw in Avatar of Woe. Felidar Sovereign is no longer in because I don't want to suddenly win with it and I especially don't want people to start ganging up on me just because my life total is above 60 and there's a chance I will draw Sovereign/Test of Endurance and just win.

Netherborn Phalanx I like a lot. Any suggestions for what to cut for it? Warhammer is only okay, I think, because I don't want be constantly paying to re-equip it to my General every time it blinks out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-10 10:04 am 

You're probably right about the Liege. I play a few more B/W spells like Mourning Thrull and Death Grasp, but turning the council into a 6/6 Terminate is always nice.

Quote:
Yawgmoth's Bargain is probably the single most broken card on the entire EDH banlist. It might even be the most unbalanced card ever printed, even more than Skullclamp, Fastbond, Channel, Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus, Sol Ring, Time Walk, and Squire. That said, if your playgroup doesn't complain that you run it, by all means enjoy.

Well, B/W is slow and pretty fragile, so it's not that unfair we get some tempo until someone destroys the bargain. Anyway, there's always Night's Whisper and Sign in Blood.
We only banned Squire in my playgroup.

You could remove Absorb Vis, Mirror Entity, Dross Harvester (unless he's working great of course), and maybe some of the graveyard hate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Aug-10 10:27 am 

If you want more card draw there is more than enough in black.
Ambition's Cost
Ancient Craving
Night's Whisper
Phyrexian Arena (you already have this, I noticed that ;))
Promise of Power
Sign in Blood

And with your lifegain theme, the lifeloss shouldn't really be a problem.

Offline Profile