Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-22 3:03 am

Post subject: An Artifact block, you say?
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-07 8:37 am 

Hmm... Thinking... how can I leverage this major theme into an EDH deck of some sort... Hmm...

Oh, right. Now I remember.

"Prolific Triplets"

GENERAL
1 Sen Triplets

CREATURES
2 Grand Architect
3 Sharuum the Hegemon
4 Magister Sphinx
5 Pentavus
6 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
7 Sanctum Gargoyle
8 Etherium Sculptor
9 Master of Etherium
10 Dross Scorpion
11 Ethersworn Adjudicator
12 Triskelion
13 Kuldotha Forgemaster
14 Duplicant
15 Master Transmuter
16 Disciple of the Vault
17 Vedalken Engineer
18 Steel Overseer
19 Steel Hellkite
20 Esperzoa

ARTIFACTS
21 Crystal Shard
22 Ratchet Bomb
23 Throne of Geth
24 Contagion Clasp
25 Contagion Engine
26 Magistrate's Scepter
27 Executioner's Capsule
28 Scourglass
29 Sculpting Steel
30 Sword of the Meek
31 Thopter Foundry
32 Time Sieve
33 Semblance Anvil
34 Skullclamp
35 Oblivion Stone
36 Lux Cannon
37 Prototype Portal
38 Mindslaver
39 Dimir Signet
40 Azorius Signet
41 Skeleton Shard
42 Darksteel Ingot
43 Sol Ring
44 Everflowing Chalice
45 Ashnod's Altar
46 Helm of Awakening

PLANESWALKERS
47 Tezzeret the Seeker
48 Venser, the Sojourner (Fixed commas. Why the hell does one get the comma and one doesn't? Freaking templating)
49 Sorin Markov

ENCHANTMENTS
50 Inexorable Tide
51 Dissipation Field

INSTANTS
52 Path to Exile
53 Oust
54 Steady Progress
55 Pact of Negation
56 Thirst for Knowledge
57 Cryptic Command

SORCERIES
58 Open the Vaults
59 Thoughtcast
60 Austere Command
61 Compulsive Research
62 Argivian Restoration
63 All is Dust
64 Diabolic Tutor
65 Fabricate

LANDS
66 Sejiri Refuge
67 Jwar Isle Refuge
68 Creeping Tar Pit
69 Celestial Colonnade
70 Seachrome Coast
71 Darkslick Shore
72 Glacial Fortress
73 Drowned Catacomb
74 Ancient Den
75 Vault of Whispers
76 Azorius Chancery
77 Dimir Aqueduct
78 Orzhov Basilica
79 Academy Ruins
80 Tolaria West
81 Arcane Sanctum
82 Godless Shrine
83 Hallowed Fountain
84 Seat of the Synod
85 Darksteel Citadel
86 Watery Grave
87 Tectonic Edge
88 Strip Mine
89 Marsh Flats
90 Exotic Orchard
91 Mystic Gate
92 Fetid Heath
93 Sunken Ruins
94 Reflecting Pool
95 Terramorphic Expanse
96 Evolving Wilds
97 Rupture Spire
98 Island
99 Swamp
100 Plains

The general here should probably really be Sharuum, but whatever.

I am so excited about this deck. I've been looking forward to building it since Sen Triplets came out but I didn't feel like I had the artifact support to git-er-done. Artifact block seems good for that.

Proliferate is far and away my favorite mechanic in Scars, and I'm trying to play with it here. As a result, the deck is less optimized than some of the other builds on this board, but a quick check of my post history suggests I am too much of a Johnny/Vorthos to care about that too much. Key interactions:

Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry/Time Sieve: Obvious addition is obvious. In a pinch I can eat my Pentavites to take an extra turn or two.

ETA: Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry/Grand Architect
Thopter Foundry wrote:
Put a 1/1 BLUE Thopter artifact creature token into play

WHUT :shock:
ETA 2: Nevermind, this doesn't work. Sword of the Meek sees the +1/+1 and laughs at my bombo. Damn!

Sharuum, the Hegemon/Sculpting Steel/Disciple of the Vault: One of the reasons the Triplets are my general is because I don't want to be that guy who wins like this every game. "Herpaderp, play my 1 drop, play my General, target Sculpting Steel, Win target game. This game is so skill-intensive." That said, in THEORY I can do this a turn earlier if this guy is in my deck thanks to Master Transmuter. I have less problem lucksacking into the win than I do with winning the same way every single game. ZZZZZ.

Throne of Geth/Pentavus/Dross Scorpion: This is obscene and I apologize in advance if it happens with Triskelion or Disciple on board. Um, at least I have to pay 1 for every dude I eat? So that should keep it in che--

Ashnod's Altar/Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry: Oops. Never mind. In fairness we are talking about a 6 card combo, so I feel like if you let me keep all of these engine cards on board you kind of deserve to lose.

Prototype Portal/Mindslaver: MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough cough* Sorry. My initial draft also included Sundering Titan but I decided to not be a TOTAL douche while playing this deck, so out it went. Scourglass and Sanctum Gargoyle seem like other fine cards to stick on this thing.

Suggestions welcome, but keep in mind that this is a Vorthosian Johnny exercise in Proliferating Artifacts, not a Spiky "LOL I WIN NOW" deck. I am well aware that the addition of Top and Future Sight will allow me to draw my deck, but I am choosing not to win like that. I am looking for cards that will make the deck more consistent, but not at the expense of the soul of the deck.

Also of note: In an artifact deck the only card with 'affinity' on it is Thoughtcast. I think I deserve a cookie for that. (Though now that you mention it Aether Vial is a card that seems good with proliferate... No! No! Bad Johnny! No cookie! Also, nice $12 uncommon. Maybe I should run Mercadian Lift instead...)

Sedris, the Traitor King: BRAAAAAINS (Zombie Tribal)
Zedruu, Group Pickpocket (Pillowfort Test of Endurance deck. You heard right)
Ghave, Guru of Dumb (Token Control)

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Last edited by herodotusjr on 2010-Oct-08 6:38 am, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: An Artifact block, you say?
AgePosted: 2010-Oct-07 9:01 am 

The release of Scars is what inspired me to build Kozilek, for the same reasoning. It is sweet that the deck, already powerful in its first version, gets better every time I do a Scars draft. "Why, yes, I would like a Kuldotha Forgemaster! Sure, I'll happily take a Mindslaver! Absolutely, I would love to pick a Prototype Portal!"

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-07 3:00 pm 

Magistrate's scepter could be fun. At least it's from mercadian masques...

Thrummingbird?

Kami of the Crescent Moon (mass draw, bounce and shenanigans)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (you did this to yourself: mono red edition)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-07 6:34 pm 

Is it just me being new to EDH, or this deck is quite a terrifying one?
But it's kinda full of combos, so what happens if a player reaches out for your deck and killed most of the key cards? (Sadistic Sacrament, Archive Trap, these epic cards are real amazements.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-08 6:43 am 

Ooh, Magistrate's Scepter! We likes it, precious. Added.
A few additional changes that occurred to me last night while running a stripped down version of the above:
-Molten-Tail Masticore +Duplicant (More like DupliCAN amirite? *avoids tomatoes*)
-Dispeller's Capsule +Magistrate's Scepter (Nothing WRONG with Dispeller's Capsule, but it's the weakest artifact in here IMO. Out it goes)
-Probe +Open the Vaults I actually cannot believe I did not think of this card before last night. Slightly crappy card draw vs. Artifact Bidding... Hmm... I dunno... I don't put artifacts in the bin very often...

DarchZero wrote:
Is it just me being new to EDH, or this deck is quite a terrifying one?

It is... mildly terrifying. There is a lot of broken crap it can do. But in comparison to some of the optimized decks in this vein it's pretty tame. It's missing a lot of the good artifact mana accelerants (Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, Moxen of the Diamond, Chrome, or Opal varieties, etc.) and so it doesn't get off to the same explosive starts as the spiked-out Esper decks do. This is partially intentional and partially because I don't want to spend the money on artifact mana ;)

Then there's the really dumb stuff that I'm missing... I already mentioned that I don't have the Future Sight/Sensei's Divining Top/Something that makes artifacts cost less combo in here, and while the Sharuum/Sculpting Steel/Disciple combo is here, Sharuum is just another guy rather than a general, so it's harder to get off. Then there is the Forge/Lattice/Disk Axis of Evil....

Have you ever played against Darksteel Forge in a dedicated artifact deck? It is a miserable experience. Anywhere from a half to 3/4 of your removal switches off, because chances are the guys creatures are mostly artifacts. Your main recourse is to bounce the Forge with a counter in hand and hope they don't have counter protection themselves, or to use one of the maddeningly few cards that exiles, not destroys, artifacts. (Hence why I love Revoke Existence, even at sorcery speed.)

[Brief tangent here: If WotC had made Darksteel Forge cost 6 and say "All other artifacts" it would have been fine and still wouldn't have affected Standard. Of course, R&D was not exactly firing on all cylinders in terms of balance those days (See Also: Ravager, Arcbound; Clamp, Skull; Lands, Artifact). So we have Darksteel Forge: Terrorizing Casual Tables Since 2004! (TM). Anyway.]

So, that's an annoying card. Now add Mycosynth Lattice. Yeah, there goes the other half of your removal. Many players with this interaction on board will take this opportunity to play Akroma's Vengeance and/or Armageddon. Yes, ha ha, you're SO clever.

Now add Nevinyrral's Disk. Note the part where sacrifice is not a part of the cost. Isn't this FUN?! Particularly exciting when his only creature is an Ethersworn Canonist or something. Most people scoop up at this point but I have been known to make this guy grind it out for the sake of spite.

So yeah. I don't play the optimized version of this deck, nor do I want to. I don't know for whom that silliness is fun, but I feel like I would get bored after blowing up everyone's permanents the first time. So, considering that this deck is the 'holding back' version of the deck, the moral of the story?
1) Do not try to convince me that Tinker should be unbanned;
2) Do not try to convince me that Tolarian Academy should be unbanned;
3) Do not try to convince me that EDH is not an eminently and easily breakable format. For verily, I will laugh derisively at thee. Here endeth the lesson.

OK! Sorry about that. It feels good to get that off my chest.

DarchZero wrote:
But it's kinda full of combos, so what happens if a player reaches out for your deck and killed most of the key cards? (Sadistic Sacrament, Archive Trap, these epic cards are real amazements.)

Unlike many decks of this ilk, this one is not wholly crippled by Sadistic Sacrament, Nightmare Incursion, etc. and if necessary can beat down with my large flyers/Master of Etherium/Tezzeret's ultimate. But yes, Sadistic Sacrament, especially kicked, kicks this deck in the junk. I take my hat off to you if we are ever playing and you do this to me. You have divined the appropriate answer to a slow-format combo deck. Well done! (And I do mean that; I know it's hard sometimes to discern sarcasm on teh intarwebs.) But you know, in my playgroup I'm the only one who runs these answers (and I get a lot of crap for doing so), so I'm not worried about it too much.

As for Archive Trap, I do not think it does what you want it to do here.

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-08 7:07 am 

Wow, you describing Mycosynth Lattice + Darksteel Forge actually made me sick to my stomach.

My boyfriend has some kind of love affair with artifacts and he has an artifact deck that I have actually asked him not to play against me anymore because it usually results in UNBRIDLED HOMICIDAL RAGE. (It's a 60 card deck that's not legal, to my knowledge, in any format.)

Tolarian Academy hits the field early. Groans. We get on with it.
By turn 15 I'm ready to scoop and be passive aggressive for the rest of the night even if his combo isn't fully assembled. He's got ~30 mana on the field between Academy, Monolith, Voltaic Key, other shit. He taps Tower of Fortunes every turn and dumps whatever he gets onto the battlefield.

And so, finally, he has Darksteel Forge, Mycosynth Lattice, Memnarch, and Leonin Abunas on the field. Maybe even a Platinum Angel. Sigh of relief. I can scoop and go console myself with ice cream now.

3 days ago he decided he wanted an artifact EDH deck. With Sen Triplets as general. I glared at him the whole time he was searching magiccards.info. I wanted to be a brat and refuse to give him any of my cards. (I did give him some sphinxes, unfortunately.)
Now he's found your list which looks appropriately evil.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-08 7:39 am 

Ziontific wrote:
3 days ago he decided he wanted an artifact EDH deck. With Sen Triplets as general. I glared at him the whole time he was searching magiccards.info. I wanted to be a brat and refuse to give him any of my cards. (I did give him some sphinxes, unfortunately.)

So you've stocked up on Shatterstorm, Return to Dust, Kill Switch and Energy Flux, right?

Kill Switch is good times.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-08 7:42 am 

Oh yes, I've been tweaking my Teysa and Intet decks without telling him. I shall not sit by passively while he destroys my meta game!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-08 7:46 am 

[
ziontific wrote:

Well, I certainly don't approve of evil! (Wait... I have two ways of continually recurring Mindslaver in this deck... This is clearly a lie. Sorry. Um, see above comment about Sadistic Sacrament, etc.?

zimagic wrote:
So you've stocked up on Shatterstorm, Return to Dust, Kill Switch and Energy Flux, right?

Kill Switch is good times.

Don't forget Hum of the Radix, Kataki, War's Wage, Gorilla Shaman, and Null Rod! Metagaming is much easier when you're doing it with one particular deck in mind. Also funny: Fracturing Gust.

gaijinguy wrote:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-08 8:15 am 

Null Rod

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-08 8:25 am 

I have a large stack of Fracturing Gusts but, unfortunately, I don't play a deck that has G/W.
My only decks are Teferi (U), Intet (UGR), and Teysa (BW).

But Sadistic Sacrament and Return to Dust have already been in Teysa for quite a long time. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-09 3:30 pm 

It is indeed hard to discern sarcasm from compliment in text.
Pretty much anything is.
Anyway, cards like Nightmare Incursion or the Power Nine barely reaches my deck (apparently since i only played T2, or Extended, barely) and i usually use MWS to play Magic.
Your deck's scariness lies in the semi-Darksteel since you can somehow recall the artifacts back from the grave. But cardthrashers like Archive Trap, Keening Stone, Bloodhusk Ritualist, or 'sniper' ones like Duress and Inquisition of Kozilek combined with the keycard Leyline of the Void can be a sharp pain. (apparently i stated only T2 cards, do understand.)
Discard is the enemy of every deck. And a good friend of Madness. Or return X to the Y.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-09 8:39 pm 

Ziontific wrote:
I have a large stack of Fracturing Gusts but, unfortunately, I don't play a deck that has G/W.
My only decks are Teferi (U), Intet (UGR), and Teysa (BW).

But Sadistic Sacrament and Return to Dust have already been in Teysa for quite a long time. :D

As an unrepentant Sharuum player who builds his other decks with an eye to being able to beat Sharuum and other artifact strategies let me give you a tad bit of advice:

For God's sake run Leyline of the Void in Teysa; an M11 copy can be had for $3-4 and it CRIPPLES any artifact deck that plans on recuring anything (and trust me, it won't take him long to realize that Sharuum is much, much more powerful in an artifact control build than the triplets). Of course Leyline is also some of the best grave-hate in the game, so its not a dead card against very many decks. You can also play Leyline of Sanctity in Teysa; it makes you untargetable by the triplets ability. Suppression field is also quite good in white.

Splinter is a great card for Intet to run as an answer to darksteel forge. Yes, I know you don't get to search for more copies but it can still Exile a problem artifact.

As to the OP, I am assuming you intentionally chose to NOT make Sharuum the general because you wanted a less resilient deck? By less resilient of course I mean a deck that is less likely to cause the other members of your playgroup to jump across the table, hold you down, and attempt to Skull---- you with something sharp.
I ask because your build really looks like its designed more to be a proliferating Sharuum deck and less like a deck built around using the Triplets to help you control the board/ Win.

Generals:

Sharuum, the Hegemon (Currently Foiling)
Scion of the Ur-Dragon (currently Foiling)
Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections
Very-nearly-Creatureless Sliver Queen PLaneswalkers (under Construction)
Progenitus - Creatures are for the Weak Retired.
Child of Alara: Lich Combo (under construction)

Last edited by Courtland on 2010-Oct-09 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-09 8:42 pm 

Oh, a great, if incredibly dickish, card to run in Teferi, is Back to Basics. In most 3 color decks at least half the lands are non-basic and some may only be running 3-6 basics. It probaby dicks the rest of the table too, but then, so does Teferi,.

Generals:

Sharuum, the Hegemon (Currently Foiling)
Scion of the Ur-Dragon (currently Foiling)
Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections
Very-nearly-Creatureless Sliver Queen PLaneswalkers (under Construction)
Progenitus - Creatures are for the Weak Retired.
Child of Alara: Lich Combo (under construction)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Oct-10 6:11 am 

Courtland wrote:

As to the OP, I am assuming you intentionally chose to NOT make Sharuum the general because you wanted a less resilient deck? By less resilient of course I mean a deck that is less likely to cause the other members of your playgroup to jump across the table, hold you down, and attempt to Skull---- you with something sharp.
I ask because your build really looks like its designed more to be a proliferating Sharuum deck and less like a deck built around using the Triplets to help you control the board/ Win.

Just so. Sharuum is one of those generals, like Niv-Mizzet, Azami, or Jhoira, where even if you're not doing anything especially broken people assume you are, because 90% of the time they are right. As noted, I feel less bad about winning off Sculpting Steel/Sharuum/Disciple if I have to work for it a bit, rather than having 1/3 of the combo automatically available to me.

Anyway Sen Triplets is more fun IMO. Even though the deck is not built to optimize their use it's still nice to create the tension for the W/U/B players at the table to cast their spells before I do. I enjoy casting Elspeths and Wrexials I do not own, to name two examples of Triplets getting there from this week :)

gaijinguy wrote:

Offline Profile