Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 8:44 pm

Post subject: Kami of the Crescent Moon
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-28 10:37 am 

A couple of years ago, I decided I wanted a blue deck. But I wanted to do something that not everybody was doing (or at least, I hadn’t SEEN anyone do). After browsing blue legends, I found one that suited my style: cheap, not overdone and drawing cards. THEN I remembered Kamigawa standard and the Owling Mine deck and went with it. I mean, when a deck makes people sideboard One with Nothing, you know you have a winner right?

Basic premisse of the deck: letting people draw extra cards (fun!) and then use it against them in any and every way possible. This is not a group hug deck. It may look like one, but that’s not the point of the deck.

A fun thing about playing the deck is the tension it creates by letting your opponents draw faster to the answers to the stuff you’re doing.

Commander
1 Kami of the Crescent Moon

Have some cards
1 Anvil of Bogardan
1 Howling Mine
1 Horn of Greed
1 Temple Bell
1 Dictate of Kruphix
1 Jace Beleren
1 Font of Mythos
1 Well of Ideas

1 Windfall
1 Jace's Archivist

1 Forced Fruition
1 Jushi Apprentice

Don’t mind if I tag along
1 Mystic Remora
1 Rhystic Study
1 Consecrated Sphinx

Bounce it all
1 Kederekt Leviathan
1 Evacuation
1 Wash Out
1 Inundate
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Devastation Tide
1 Whelming Wave
1 AEtherize
1 Aetherspouts
1 Coastal Breach
1 Crush of Tentacles
1 Engulf the Shore

Stuff and things
1 Tomorrow, Adam's Familiar
1 Venser’s Journal
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Teferi's Puzzle Box
1 Descendant of Soramaro
1 Recall
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Patron of the Moon
1 Mana Maze
1 Arcane Denial

Random answers
1 Dream Fracture
1 Arcane Denial
1 Foil
1 Forbid
1 Commandeer

1 Polymorphist's Jest
1 Ovinize
1 Relic of Progenitus

1 Propaganda
1 Stormtide Leviathan
1 Meishin, the Mind Cage
1 Sunstone
1 Pendrell Mists
1 Crawlspace

Paying for it all
1 Walking Atlas

1 Thought Vessel
1 Sol Ring
1 Sapphire Medallion
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Thran Dynamo

1 Winding Canyons
1 Tolaria West
1 Academy Ruins
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Terrain Generator
30 Snow-Covered Island

Oh yes, AND winning the game (sometimes)
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Viseling
1 Iron Maiden
1 Chasm Skulker
1 Psychosis Crawler
1 Empyrial Plate

Cardchoices:

Carddraw
Mines
Kami of the Crescent Moon, Anvil of Bogardan, Howling Mine, Horn of Greed, Temple Bell, Dictate of Kruphix, Jace Beleren, Font of Mythos, Well of Ideas, Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
One of the foundations of the deck. Smooths your own draws and keeps your opponents’ hands full.
Anvil of Bogardan fills a very special role, because it makes sure your opponents skip their discard step. Together with Iron Maiden, it can kill your opponents pretty fast.

Big draw for everybody
Windfall, Jace’s Archivist
Windfall and Archivist can let people draw large numbers of cards, sometimes killing someone in the process. Good for finding kill pieces, and combo nicely with Psychosis Crawler and any of the cards that let you draw whenever an opponent draws (see 2 sections down)

Overloading your opponents’ hand
[i]Forced Fruition, Jushi Apprentice

These can be win conditions on their own, letting people draw so many cards they will not know what to do with them. Jushi also doubles as extra draw for yourself.

Taking advantage of your opponents’ draw
Rhystic Study, Mystic Remora, Consecrated Sphinx
What’s better than letting your opponent draw a lot of cards? Tagging along for the ride. I normally don’t like to play Consecrated Sphinx too much, but I couldn’t help myself with this deck.
Rhystic Study and Mystic Remora do not technically interact with your opponents’ draw, but if they want to cast the drawn cards, it does. Both are great ways to punish decks that want to play multiple spells each turn.
I recently cut Mind's Eye from the deck because I didn't want to pay for my draws so I could keep my mana up. Also, when you're sometimes bouncing the whole board, you don't want too many big permanents that you then have to discard or recast.

Bounce
Bounce it all
Kederekt Leviathan, Evacuation, Wash Out, Inundate, Distorting Wake, Cyclonic Rift, Devastation Tide, Whelming Wave, AEtherize, Aetherspouts, Coastal Breach, Engulf the Shore, Crush of Tentacles
The other big pillar of the deck. I used to run every mass bounce spell available, but cut down. I still have a ton of bounce, but I cut a couple of the more mana intensive sorcery speed ones. Ideally I don't want to tap out on my turn so I can time a board wipe better. Plus, you're generally giving players access to all their terrible stuff, including haste givers, which makes some of the more clunky bounce not ideal.

Winning the game
Laboratory Maniac
Starting with the least reliable way to win. Actually, I don’t think I have ever won the game with it. I managed to do it almost, a couple of times. It’s just a fun card to have in the deck for when the game comes to this point. The deck doesn’t have any protection for it, so it’s very unlikely to work, but it’s fun. The other option was something to shuffle my graveyard back in, which would probably be better, but this is much cooler.

Viseling, Iron Maiden
Another unreliable one. Basically, the combo is: one of these with Anvil of Bogardan and mass bounce. If you want to win the game more or less on the spot, use Sunder, but I decided to cut it. It’s not rare for an opponent to have 20+ cards in hand. The printing of Thought Vessel actually helped this deck in more ways than one, and almost everyone has Reliquary Tower anyway.

Chasm Skulker
More of a back-up win. The deck usually doesn't win with combat damage, but as far as thematic beaters goes, this is a beast. I've won games on the back of this, but usually people team up to pinpoint then Wrath it down. Still, shouting PINATA when it goes down and rains squids on the table is super fun.

Psychosis Crawler
Pretty good way to kill numerous people at once, and can also kill people by beating down. This is the most reliable way to win the game for this deck. I can easily recur it, and it's not unusual that people have whittled each other down if I play my cards (and opponents) correctly.

Empyrial Plate
Back to unreliable. Still fun to crash in with a 21/23 Kami once in a while.

I've also beaten people with big octopi/leviathans, but that's more incidental than anything else.

Not with Mind over Matter (took it out), although if you’d be inclined to do so, you could. I also took out most of the straight mill cards, because Eldrazi are all over the place, but there are some good options to do so if you like that avenue.

Other Stuff
Venser’s Journal
Having unlimited handsize is pretty good for this deck, as well as giving you some additional life buffer. Great card.

Sculpting Steel
Pretty generic card, but doubles as a Howling Mine in a pinch.

Tomorrow, Adam's Familiar
I love this card. IF it survives, you basically find anything you want.

Teferi's Puzzle Box
Somewhat of a pet card as well. The best use of this is to ‘permanently’ (more or less) get rid of bounced permanents. Also sick with the cards that take advantage of your opponent drawing.

Descendant of Soramaro
New addition, inspired by Eran’s Kami deck. Should be fun to stack the top 10 cards for 2 mana.

Patron of the Moon
This goes in and out, but it's super fun to land.

Recall, Torrential Gearhulk
Sometimes you need to get something back and discarding is not a problem for this deck. Gearhulk gives me access to more instant speed bounce.

Dream Fracture, Arcane Denial, Forbid, Foil, Commandeer
A smidge of counter magic. There’s just very few, and some also let opponents draw some extra cards. Commandeer and Foil are some safety valves that have less drawback in this deck than elsewhere and Forbid makes sure you always have a counter if you want one.

Relic of Progenitus
It’s Commander, you got to have some graveyard control. I actually wish there was a blue spell that returned all graveyards to hand. That would be fun.

Propaganda, Meishin, the Mind Cage, Sunstone, Pendrell Mists, Crawlspace.
And some additional creature control.

Ovinize and Polymorphist's Jest
If you need to deal with something instead of bouncing it.

Mana
Walking Atlas
Actually the best ‘manastone’ in the deck. It’s a bit fragile, but you’ll be drawing enough lands to put into play and extra lands is almost always better than having mana artifacts that are more likely to get blown up as collateral damage.

Gauntlet of Power, Thought Vessel, Thran Dynamo, Sol Ring, Sapphire Medallion,
With all the extra cards, having some extra mana to play it all is very nice.

Tolaria West
Sometimes you need to find yourself a Mikokoro, Center of the Sea or Academy Ruins.

Academy Ruins
I play good artifacts. They get blown up. I want them back.

Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Another Howling Mine.

Reliquary Tower
Obvious. Fun thing with this deck is that I always hope my opponents have acces tot heir own Tower too.

Terrain Generator
See Walking Atlas, but this will even more likely get to stay in play.

Winding Canyons
New addition. With the move to more instant speed answers, this lets me even eot big dudes. Or Laboratory Maniac.

30 Snow-Covered Islands
Snowy for Sunstone

The deck is pretty fun to play if you like drawing cards and carefully maneuvering through (sometimes literally) every card of your opponents’ decks. Like I said, it’s not meant to be a group hug deck, there are more than a few cards in the deck that punish the opponents for having a lot of cards.

One of the difficulties with the deck is that it walks a thin line between being wacky and just plain mean. Cards like Winter Orb are pretty good in the deck, but so unfun to play against. There are also a lot more reliable win conditions like Mind over Matter to combo with Temple Bell, Pact of Negation with Hive Mind, or Hinder+Tunnel Vision. I'm fully aware that some of the cards in the deck already cross that line, but are somewhat necessary to give the deck some oomph, and that the deck itself can be a required taste (I can imagine that getting your stuff bounced turn after turn can get tedious).

In my last overhaul, I cut Sunder and Plagiarize as well for being unfun. Mass mana denial, even when used as a win condition, left opponents with a bad feeling after a pretty interactive game. Plagiarize usually blew out 1 person while the rest was sitting on full hands, which was also not fun.

Anyway, I’d love to get some feedback on the deck!

Cheers,
Squirrely

Old decklist:
Commander
1 Kami of the Crescent Moon

Have some cards
1 Dakra Mystic
1 Anvil of Bogardan
1 Howling Mine
1 Horn of Greed
1 Temple Bell
1 Dictate of Kruphix
1 Jace Beleren
1 Font of Mythos
1 Well of Ideas

1 Windfall
1 Jace's Archivist

1 Forced Fruition
1 Jushi Apprentice

Don’t mind if I tag along
1 Rhystic Study
1 Psychic Possession
1 Plagiarize
1 Mind’s Eye
1 Consecrated Sphinx

Bounce it all
1 Kederekt Leviathan
1 Scourge of Fleets
1 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
1 Thousand Winds
1 Breaching Leviathan
1 Profaner of the Dead

1 Sunder
1 Evacuation
1 Wash Out
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Inundate
1 Distorting Wake
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Devastation Tide
1 Whelming Wave
1 AEtherize
1 Hibernation
1 Aetherspouts
1 Aether Gale
1 Displacement Wave

Stuff and things
1 Hive Mind
1 Venser’s Journal
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Teferi's Puzzle Box
1 Descendant of Soramaro
1 Recall

1 Dream Fracture
1 Arcane Denial

1 Relic of Progenitus

1 Propaganda
1 Meishin, the Mind Cage
1 Sunstone
1 Ixidron

Paying for it all
1 Walking Atlas

1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Thought Vessel
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Sol Ring
1 Sapphire Medallion
1 Worn Powerstone

1 Tolaria West
1 Academy Ruins
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Terrain Generator
31 Snow-Covered Island

Oh yes, AND winning the game (sometimes)
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Viseling
1 Iron Maiden
1 Chasm Skulker
1 Psychosis Crawler

Kami of the Crescent Moon (mass draw, bounce and shenanigans)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (you did this to yourself: mono red edition)

Last edited by Squirrely on 2017-Jun-20 8:41 am, edited 8 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kami of the Crescent Moon
AgePosted: 2010-Jun-28 5:02 pm 

Needs more Storm Cauldron and Winter Orb.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-28 9:26 pm 

needs more windfall and more memory jar
Standstill Indentured Djinn

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-29 2:02 am 

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Tarasco wrote:
Needs more Storm Cauldron and Winter Orb.

Ooh, Storm Cauldron looks nice. Although I am a bit worried that I'll screw myself over too. Same with Winter Orb. I could play more artifact mana, but that would mean Rebuild and Hurkyl's Recall become worse (and mostly cut). I'll think about it. I do agree they would be very good in the deck. Rising Waters would be good as well then. Maybe that blue Kismet?

odit wrote:

Windfall and Memory Jar are obviously good, I especially like Windfall in here. Lol @ Standstill and Indentured Djinn. Definitely going in (well, Standstill when I find one cheap).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-29 9:41 am 

Forced Draw:
Wheel and Deal

Because you draw a considerable amount:
Archmage Ascension

Bouncy!:
Distorting Wake
Reality Strobe
Recantation
Inundate
Llawan, Cephalid Empress (depending on how much blue your opponent's play)
Reduce to Dreams

There's also Words of Wind, but it's not too good...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-29 1:19 pm 

words of wind are actually pretty good in a deck like this if you use them to return your mana vault / sol ring / other jank no mana loss artifacts, teferi's puzzle box while not really helping you win is very good for keeping folks WTF, I can't play this game OMG's ing.

arcane laboratory is a mean card that will also make hands super huge.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-29 3:02 pm 

Regarding some of the cards you list as questionable:

Diviner's Wand: I like this card a lot in this deck. It might not be the strongest card, but it gives you the potential for a General damage win with a 1/3 creature, which makes it worth it in my book.
Recall: With so much draw and the potential for so many extra cards, I'd expect this to be pretty great. Has it been bad for you in practice?
Memory Erosion: Probably the first and easiest card to cut if you're finding room for new stuff. Your opponents will usually either ignore it or be happy to see it.

I like the deck a lot. Always makes me happy to see decks that commit to the theme of their general so well :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-29 5:41 pm 

Nice, some sweet reactions again.

SweetRein wrote:
Forced Draw:
Wheel and Deal

Because you draw a considerable amount:
Archmage Ascension

Bouncy!:
Distorting Wake
Reality Strobe
Recantation
Inundate
Llawan, Cephalid Empress (depending on how much blue your opponent's play)
Reduce to Dreams

There's also Words of Wind, but it's not too good...

Wheel and Deal looks good. First of all because I like playing bad cards nobody knows :). Second, because it fits the theme pretty well. I do think its worse then any of the other draw-7s, if only for the fact that I might be milling the rest of the table with this. I'll think about this.

Wow @ Archmage Ascension... Seems tailor made for the deck. And: see the bad card thing above :P. I even had a couple in my binder sitting there not being wanted by anyone! And here I was thinking Tomorrow was a good card for the deck. I'll test this for sure!

Thanks for the bouncers! I love Inundate, Distorting Wake and Reduce to Dreams, though the latter one suffers from the same problem as Rebuild and Hurkyl's Recall: it bounces my board too. Which means it'll be worse if I decide to play more artifact mana. Llawan is good but very situational (will still probably play it, as blue opponents have the benefit of making my Inundate and Wash Out worse). Recantation and Reality Strobe I'm not sure about. Recantation seems slooooooooow and Reality Strobe is a card I just can not form an opinion about (which probably means I should test it).

Words of Wind, I probably have to test this. The effect is very powerful, but at a hefty cost. Like odit said it will probably be good with cheap manaproducers.

odit wrote:
Words of Wind are actually pretty good in a deck like this if you use them to return your Mana Vault / Sol Ring / other jank no mana loss artifacts, Teferi's Puzzle Box while not really helping you win is very good for keeping folks WTF, I can't play this game OMG's ing.

Arcane Laboratory is a mean card that will also make hands super huge.

I'll think about Words of Wind, I'll put it on my 'to test' list. Teferi's Puzzle Box on the other hand, do you think it will anything to the deck? I love the card (talk about WTF!), but can't see it doing too much here. Maybe I'm missing something? If I am, please tell me, I would love to have an excuse playing Puzzle Box :).

Yeah, I thought about Arcane Lab too. I think it's too powerful an effect to leave out of the deck. As much as I like janky cards, I do like to win sometimes ;). Affects me too though, so maybe I need to play something to 'break' it, like Stronghold Machinist and Stronghold Biologist (or whatever they are called). While I'm on the subject, maybe more spellshapers could be cool! Go Spellshapers!

Shazaam wrote:
Regarding some of the cards you list as questionable:

Diviner's Wand: I like this card a lot in this deck. It might not be the strongest card, but it gives you the potential for a General damage win with a 1/3 creature, which makes it worth it in my book.
Recall: With so much draw and the potential for so many extra cards, I'd expect this to be pretty great. Has it been bad for you in practice?
Memory Erosion: Probably the first and easiest card to cut if you're finding room for new stuff. Your opponents will usually either ignore it or be happy to see it.

I like the deck a lot. Always makes me happy to see decks that commit to the theme of their general so well :)

That's what I thought about Diviner's Wand. I think Empyrial Plate has more damage potential, but I just discovered that Wand gives flying too... which was just the thing I didn't like about Plate (I had a Plated Kami chumped for a couple of turns before Plate got destroyed). In the few games I played, Wand just sat in my hand though. What I hated most was that I had to wait a turn, sometimes 2 to go to town with my equipped creature whereas Plate had an immediate effect. Maybe I just have to keep both in for a while to see if they make a difference at all or if they're not needed. I have a feeling that it's either/or.

Recall was unneeded in practice, but like I said, it was very limited and 1v1. Your expectations are the same as mine, it just wasn't as awesome I hoped it to be in my couple of games (I drew it almost every game... go figure). I guess it was too much of a cold shower so I starred it. Probably should give it another chance.

Memory Erosion: very right. :) (I do like the effect though, it makes for fun 'DOH situations where answers or other good cards get milled)

Glad you like the deck! I try to keep my decks on theme as much as I can :). Flavorwise (I'd like to play stuff like Underworld Dreams in a deck like this, but there's not a UB or UBR general that fits the theme so perfectly), but strategically too. The general is the only card in your deck you WILL see every single game. So yeah, it makes me happy too.

I was thinking, besides Anvil of Bogardan, are there any cards that will make my opponent skip their discard step or make their hand size unlimited? I can't seem to find any...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-30 10:34 am 

I made some changes to the deck to test out (not in the OP yet, I'll do that when I settle on them).

- Memory Erosion (doesn't actually do anything in here)
- Counterspell (I know, bad choice, but I couldn't find anything else to cut yet. And I want to see how this deck fares without to many counterspells...)
- Foil (same as above, but in the games I played I didn't have any Islands to spare)
- Ivory Tower (only really good when I have Reliquary Tower or Anvil of Bogardan out, I think I won't need the couple life it normally give. I could be wrong though)
- Ebony Owl Netsuke (takes too long to kill with and has a clunky condition imo)
- Meekstone (bounce seemed better and unsynergistic with this)
- Alexi, Zephyr Mage (bit slow, but really want to put this back in)

+ Windfall
+ Distorting Wake
+ Time Spiral (draw up to 7 again, graveyard removal *sort of*)
+ Personal Tutor (I don't have a Mystical Tutor, but with the addition of a couple of good sorceries, this seems very good too. Obviously, Mystical will go in eventually too)
+ Archmage Ascension
+ Arcane Laboratory
+ Patron of the Moon

I had put Indentured Djinn in, but started to REALLY read it at the moment I drew it. It says *may*. It's still cool, but will often wind up only as a 4/4 flying for 3 (never imagined I would ever say something like that :P).

Wishlist:
Mystical Tutor
Inundate (they did not have it at the store I went to today :/)
(actually, Anvil of Bogardan is on my wish list too. I have a proxy in my deck now, because it's so essential for the deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-30 1:41 pm 

actually puzzle box does have a very big effect.

Think about what you're doing to threats ( bouncing them ) during the draw those threats go away, to be replaced by other threats for sure but the ones you decided you needed to bounce are gone.

Lol kittens when it's after a sunder.. :facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-30 2:34 pm 

Lol, fair enough. As if Sunder needed to get better in this deck (it got better already with the addition of Patron of the Moon) :roll: I'll try cramming Puzzle Box in.

Did anyone see the spoiler for Temple Bell? For those that didn't and don't want to see it, I won't tell, but I'm very excited!!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jun-30 7:38 pm 

Squirrely wrote:
I was thinking, besides Anvil of Bogardan, are there any cards that will make my opponent skip their discard step or make their hand size unlimited? I can't seem to find any...

You could... uh... Donate them something? :?

Otherwise... you could take extra turns. That prevents them from discarding. :?

Squirrely wrote:
Did anyone see the spoiler for Temple Bell? For those that didn't and don't want to see it, I won't tell, but I'm very excited!!

I wish it was a little more...
Like, it had a T: Add 1 to your mana pool ability. Or something. It feels just too weak. Yet, wouldn't really feel right at 2 cost either.

It will be a great addition for this deck though. :)

Also, if you need them so strongly for a deck, I have both an extra mystical tutor and anvil I could trade (or possibly give, depending on if you actually have anything I would want).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 12:09 am 

SweetRein wrote:
Squirrely wrote:

You could... uh... Donate them something? :?

Otherwise... you could take extra turns. That prevents them from discarding. :?

As awesome as Donate would be... no :P

Extra turns indeed sound nice, for the purpose getting more damage with Vise Paradox Haze would be better. Meh, I can always just play Muddle the Mixture as extra Anvil Tutor.

SweetRein wrote:
Squirrely wrote:

I wish it was a little more...
Like, it had a T: Add 1 to your mana pool ability. Or something. It feels just too weak. Yet, wouldn't really feel right at 2 cost either.

It will be a great addition for this deck though. :)

Damn skippy it will :). I understand how you feel, though. I just almost fell off my chair that I just started building this deck and was thinking: 'hmm, more Howling Mine would be nice...', opened the spoiler and BAM! there it was.

SweetRein wrote:
Also, if you need them so strongly for a deck, I have both an extra mystical tutor and anvil I could trade (or possibly give, depending on if you actually have anything I would want).

Awesome! I'll PM you to see if we can make a trade.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 7:02 am 

temple bell is better than a howling mine because it's an auto win card.

Mind over matter + temple bell + any eldrazi with graveyard shuffle in your deck = auto putting everyone's deck in there hands aka table win.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-01 4:04 pm 

odit wrote:
temple bell is better than a howling mine because it's an auto win card.

Mind over matter + temple bell + any eldrazi with graveyard shuffle in your deck = auto putting everyone's deck in there hands aka table win.

Very true, although I'm not sure I want Eldrazi in my deck just for that, or even at all. Maybe Emrakul if I decide to play more Time Warp effects. BTW, an Eldrazi followed by Sunder (or other mass bounce) is quite evil. Maybe Guile is an option, but I don't play that many counters to make it really good.
Sadly Library of Leng doesn't work :(

Offline Profile