Winding Canyons
Windswept Heath

Legendary Lands (5)
Gaea's Cradle
Miren, the Moaning Well
Phyrexian Tower
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Shizo, Death's Storehouse

Description coming at some point before Ragnarok, totes promise.

(my priorities are obvious, lol)

Last edited by phatJacob07 on 2010-Nov-01 3:18 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Doran, the Siege Tower - Land Matters
AgePosted: 2010-Jan-28 7:29 pm 

I found it interesting that you run Eldrazi Monument when you don't have many token producers to sac to it. You have Genesis to recur guys but I'm not sure if that's enough.

I would suggest adding an creature producer like Centaur Glade, Mobilization or Sacred Mesa to make use of all that mana.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-28 9:10 pm 

Eldrazi Monument never really comes down unless I'm rockin' several dudes due to slow draws from opponents, Worm Harvest shenanigans, or with Kamahl and a bunch of lands.

Mesa's probably my favorite of the creature solutions, though Nemata, Grove Guardian and Ant Queen are also quite usable, and pretty easy to find with all of the creature tutoring in the deck. Thanks for pointing out the under-utilized Monument, however; it might not make the cut when I get hold of future additions to the deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-28 9:50 pm 

Yeah, Ant Queen is really good. In Savra she's probably the creature I want to resolve the most. I just noticed you don't have Rampaging Baloths on your list either.

I missed Wurm Harvest in your list before and I didn't consider Kamahl as a means of supplying guys. I guess you're ok with the number of creatures.

In my Teneb build I've been fiddling around with Helldozer + Seedborn Muse + Urborg. In theory it works well and it fits your theme. Lands should matter to other players too!

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 8:06 am 

There are plenty of creatures that can ramp you or get you land. I play Silverglade Elemental, Wood Elves, and Yavimaya Elder in my Doran deck. I was playing Yavimaya Dryad but I cut it. I decided to run more creatures that get lands than ramp cards. They might not get as many lands but having the dud to block is good. Plus they work well with reanimating, astral slide, galepowder mage, etc. Not sure if it fits here but Azusa, Lost but Seeking might be something to think about as well.

Looks like you are lacking a little in the card draw department. But it must be OK with you if you are planning on ditching Harmonize. I find the more card draw the better (Ancient Craving, Ambitions Cost, Promise of Power, Skullclamp if you got the little dudes, Regal Force, Mind's Eye, I know a lot of people who run more than this).

Does Greater Good even work well in this deck? I'm not seeing much meat in here to make it effective.

Life from the Loam might be of help, then you could run some cycling lands.

Creakwood Liege is pretty good. It is a must deal with creature and you already have cards it works well with. Plus it lets your Doran hit for 7 on turn 4. I am a big supporter of this card.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 11:57 am 

Jukren54 wrote:
Yeah, Ant Queen is really good. In Savra she's probably the creature I want to resolve the most. I just noticed you don't have Rampaging Baloths on your list either.

Yeah, Baloths should make it in. I hadn't had them previously because they were in a different deck, but I hardly play that one at the moment, so mise well get them in the deck that's relevant.

Jukren54 wrote:
In my Teneb build I've been fiddling around with Helldozer + Seedborn Muse + Urborg. In theory it works well and it fits your theme. Lands should matter to other players too!

I'm not really a big fan of land destruction, and my group generally gets way butt-hurt when any LD starts showing up.

GU Doug wrote:
There are plenty of creatures that can ramp you or get you land. I play Silverglade Elemental, Wood Elves, and Yavimaya Elder in my Doran deck. I was playing Yavimaya Dryad but I cut it. I decided to run more creatures that get lands than ramp cards. They might not get as many lands but having the dud to block is good. Plus they work well with reanimating, astral slide, galepowder mage, etc. Not sure if it fits here but Azusa, Lost but Seeking might be something to think about as well.

I've played with Asuza before, and she's been really underwhelming in this style of deck, since I'm not getting lands into hand, but strictly into play. Kinda the same problem Burgeoning has - great once out of every ten games maybe. They'd be much better in a deck with blue in it.

Also, in regards to creature-based acceleration: I'm only running 7 forests in the deck (Bayou, Overgrown Tomb, Temple Garden, Murmuring Bosk, 3x Forests), and only 7 (soon to be 6) basics, which means that the creature-based accel generally doesn't play nice with the fetchlands, Krosan Verge, Reap and Sow, et cetera. A lot of the spell-based acceleration gets specific lands - I'm almost always tutoring up a Gaea's Cradle with Reap and Sow than anything else. And my reanimation tricks are pretty much limited to Reveillark and Genesis :)

GU Doug wrote:
Looks like you are lacking a little in the card draw department. But it must be OK with you if you are planning on ditching Harmonize. I find the more card draw the better (Ancient Craving, Ambitions Cost, Promise of Power, Skullclamp if you got the little dudes, Regal Force, Mind's Eye, I know a lot of people who run more than this).

Does Greater Good even work well in this deck? I'm not seeing much meat in here to make it effective.

Yeah, card draw is muy bueno, but I've been pretty satisfied with the amount I have. Sylvan Library plus a good bit of shuffling effects is nice, and Decree of Pain usually draws me anywhere from 4 to 20 cards, which is pretty nice too :P

Greater Good isn't ridiculous in this deck, but it certainly gets the job done, from a fat Knight of the Reliquary to even just a Genesis. Plus, sometimes I want to discard stuff, which that let's me do. In addition, Greater Good lets me combo with Reveillark and Saffi and draw my library, usually until I get to Altar of Dementia or a way to recur it.

GU Doug wrote:
Life from the Loam might be of help, then you could run some cycling lands.

Life from the Loam is awesome, but it's really about finding room. I might be able to squeeze it in...

GU Doug wrote:
Creakwood Liege is pretty good. It is a must deal with creature and you already have cards it works well with. Plus it lets your Doran hit for 7 on turn 4. I am a big supporter of this card.

Creakwood Liege is someone I hadn't even considered. That guy will definitely be making his way into the list at some point.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 12:49 pm 

Looks like a lot of your creatures are Reveillark targets. Ever thought about Triskelion. Once you get in a loop you can deal infinite damage. Just a thought. He is subpar by himself.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 1:24 pm 

If land really matters, then you really need to put Rampaging Baloths and Ob Nixilis in the list - they currently have the best Landfall triggers available.

I also agree on the cards like Mobilization and Centaur Glade that can put multiple tokens into play. It's always nice to be able to use all that unspent mana at EOT.

Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-29 6:31 pm 

Ob Nixilis is going in as soon as I get one (see the original post). Baloths are in now, will update the list when I get to a computer. Edit Aaaaant updated!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-31 2:19 am 

phatJacob07 wrote:
I'm almost always tutoring up a Gaea's Cradle with Reap and Sow than anything else. And my reanimation tricks are pretty much limited to Reveillark and Genesis :)

So where's your expedition map and sylvan scrying?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jan-31 11:14 am 

defenestrator wrote:
phatJacob07 wrote:
I'm almost always tutoring up a Gaea's Cradle with Reap and Sow than anything else. And my reanimation tricks are pretty much limited to Reveillark and Genesis :)

So where's your expedition map and sylvan scrying?

Room, really. There's still stuff like Ob Nixilis, the Fallen and Privileged Position to fit in, too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Feb-01 12:57 am 

Updated first post with newest changes.

Offline Profile