Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Mar-24 12:08 am

Post subject: Re: Your Input
AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 7:20 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
I also like "Deck Doctor" articles. Taking someone's deck and spicing it up. Looking at some fun old card interactions and finding some new synergies.

In the case of Commander decks, this could also include taming some decks. Making them more fun to play/play against.

Dear Azami was excellent.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-15 3:04 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
scatteredsun wrote:
I also like "Deck Doctor" articles. Taking someone's deck and spicing it up. Looking at some fun old card interactions and finding some new synergies.

In the case of Commander decks, this could also include taming some decks. Making them more fun to play/play against.

Dear Azami was excellent.

Dear Azami was really cool. I had forgotten about that article series even though you can find one of my deck submissions there...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-17 5:47 am 

Levi Byrne is still running a dear azami column https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2019 ... champions/

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-19 10:18 pm 

What I would like to see, but never have is:

- Functional reviews - similar to a set review, but instead it looks for cool, niche cards to fill a roll in a deck. Exploring what options are available to different color combinations. Kind of like the Cremation in thread in the Strategy forum explores graveyard hate options. The options can be as broad or narrow as needed.

For example:
Anti-fliers.

<discussion about how to deal with flying creatures when your deck is low or lacking in fliers. Consideration given to which color(s) are easy to fill this niche, and which are difficult>

<Pro and Con discussion about options such as destruction, punishing, preventing attacks, removing the ability>

<Examples from all of magic - the obvious and the obscure. In this example it would be things like Archetype of imagination, Gravity Well, etc. for obvious choices but people may not remember things like Phyrexian Splicer (for dealing with single problematic fliers) and Predator, Flagship.

Challenge Decks:

Fans submit a general and either a win condition or some number of cards and you go through your process for creating that deck. Kind of like the Iron Chef series here in Random Chatter. For example, you might draw suggestions from an article comments and decide to showcase a Rafiq deck that is not Voltron, or an Agrus Kos that uses Breath of fury (with or without other similar effects) and infinite combat steps.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-19 10:37 pm 

I'd read that, Treamayne.

Admittedly I haven't read many of your columns, Sheldon. I don't tend to read Magic articles because most of them I've read don't teach me much I can bring into my own gameplay. When people are building EDH decks, for example, they often talk about replacements they're making which make sense, but they don't teach how they made those decisions (beyond “these cards are strictly better” or something) and it means I don't learn much about deckbuilding for myself. I haven't read enough of your articles to know how you approach this.

I enjoy articles that talk about strategy such that I can actually improve strategy in my own games. I enjoy articles about deckbuilding that help me learn about deckbuilding.

I'd be interested in functional reviews because they teach me about new cards I could be looking at, and those challenge decks (if they explain the “how”) could teach me how to approach similar niche strategies, especially in a way that's compatible with EDH philosophy as one of the RC members views it.

I also enjoy design articles, so I read a lot of what's written by Maro, and I like learning the rules and the game, so I read the periodic Oracle and CR updates. If there's articles from Sheldon existing or future which talk about the game philosophy and how to fulfill on it in situations that aren't obvious I'd read those. Some examples: How strong should my deck be? How should/could I handle things when someone's playing the exact kind of deck I hate playing against? If I'm building a controversial deck archetype like stax, how should I handle that within EDH and keep things fun?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-27 8:05 am 

Honestly, I just check up on Sheldon's articles and Elder Dragon Statesmen every couple weeks because his perspective is interesting. Even though his status precedes him; his content is usually a bit more interesting than regular EDH content- since he doesn't qualify it with "I've been playing since Beta." "I've been playing since X" is a tiresome way to build up some non-existent credit. As a content consumer, I don't need credentials; if someone is a scrub, it's obvious. Even then, there are people who haven't been playing Magic for very long who produce some very enjoyable content.

In particular though, Sheldon's perspective is rarely presented as EDH's "Word of God" to his audience. He gives strong opinions, without filters; and doesn't discourage the audience from challenging them. I've never seen him use his status as a bludgeon, or feed trolls any more commentary than required to recognize that they're trolling for a reaction. It's just sober commentary, with discourse which has a level friendly banter.

By contrast, I can only watch The Professor, Commander's Brew, or the Command Zone for so long, before it becomes tiring and the rhetoric becomes same-y. Sheldon's content (as well as Benny and Abe), feels much more candid (like this forum.) For me, atleast; that's where the heart and soul of Magic is.

Defender
Wall of chat exceeds at using a lot of words to mischaracterize opposing view points.

Warp Riders (Ephara Solar Flare)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Feb-27 8:27 am 

Mr Degradation wrote:
(Sheldon) gives strong opinions, without filters; and doesn't discourage the audience from challenging them. I've never seen him use his status as a bludgeon, or feed trolls any more commentary than required to recognize that they're trolling for a reaction. It's just sober commentary, with discourse which has a level friendly banter.

QFT
Quote:
By contrast, I can only watch The Professor, Commander's Brew, or the Command Zone for so long, before it becomes tiring and the rhetoric becomes same-y.

QFT!!

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Offline Profile